ok why do HoH or Deaf People Have poor Grammar?

Babyface

Reaction score
im not trying to be mean I seriously want to know, ive know about five people who are my friends, not going to mention any names erhmm that are terrible when putting sentences in here, I was just wondering why that is, not trying to be funny or cute but I was curious, hope no one gets mad I appreciate it.

I think it has to do with low expectations of those who teach deaf and hard of hearing students as well as the myth that Deaf students write poorly due to their use of ASL.

Many public schools and residential schools for the deaf do not raise their standards as to what a student should be expected to achieve in terms of good writing skills.

In the public school system, students are passed on to the next grade even if they are incapable of writing a research paper. In my high school, students in remedial 9th grade English were learning about basic punctuation as well as how to write a business letter.

I can't comment specifically on residential schools since I've never attended one.

However, I have read about many experiences (self-reported) here on AD which prove that what I've said is true.

no it doesn't but i noticed most deaf or HoH doesn't read that much and happened to come across using ASL in my opinion when I first came to csd to visit my english was twisted and I realized i can't go to csd when I was in middle school cuz csd was against SEE so I kept using SEE til I was ready to change to ASL so I basically use PSE now ;) I never will let anyone screw my english up for sure.. cuz it helps me to communicate with people if it wasn't for my parents then I probably wud not be here to able to understand you people :P

oh yeah I noticed if people doesn't do well in english then they wud do well in math instead but unfortunately for me.. my math sucks so go figures lol :P

no it doesn't but i noticed most deaf or HoH doesn't read that much...

I think it has to do with a combination of what I've said as well as what you've said. Many Deaf people aren't encouraged to read. I have a Deaf friend who was required to read several books outside of her English class and she said this is what helped improve her vocabulary and writing skills.

I can name a few reasons: (but not limited to)

1) In the past, the average age for deaf children to be identified with a hearing loss would be 18 months or older. By then, they have missed a significant amount of language development. Then, upon discovering their child is deaf, parents are forced to learn how to communicate with their child which takes time.

But that should change because in British Columbia, Canada (I am not sure about USA) has recently passed a law where all newborns must go through a hearing screening test as soon as they are born to identify any hearing loss to make for early language intervention.

2) Deaf people do not experience the same amount of incidential learning experience as hearing children. It naturally occurs to children with normal hearing who utilize it to shape their language and their perceptions of the world around them via incidential learning. They eavesdrop on their social environment and learn millions of tidbits of priceless cultural and social information. This also applies to learning language.

Also, by listening in on conversations between individuals, they learn not only the language, but also about family matters, economics, politics, personal finance, jobs, sports, health, nutrition, and so on. The list is endless.

3) Communication skills of the immediate family: I feel this plays a very important role in developing a deaf child’s language. Parents cannot only rely on the school system to teach the deaf child language. Parents need to learn how to communicate with their own child, include them in family discussions, and encourage literacy in the home environment.

im hard of hearing myself and I think Hear again put it best but I appreaciate all the input thank you very much guys,

the reason I didnt pm any one person directly is because some people would think it was them who I was refering too so I didnt want to do that, and instead put it here, that answers my question.

Hearing are able to pick up through tongue while deaf use their eyes on pretty color.

Ooo! Pretty button!

1) In the past, the average age for deaf children to be identified with a hearing loss would be 18 months or older. By then, they have missed a significant amount of language development. Then, upon discovering their child is deaf, parents are forced to learn how to communicate with their child which takes time.

But that should change because in British Columbia, Canada (I am not sure about USA) has recently passed a law where all newborns must go through a hearing screening test as soon as they are born to identify any hearing loss to make for early language intervention.

2) Deaf people do not experience the same amount of incidential learning experience as hearing children. It naturally occurs to children with normal hearing who utilize it to shape their language and their perceptions of the world around them via incidential learning. They eavesdrop on their social environment and learn millions of tidbits of priceless cultural and social information. This also applies to learning language.

Also, by listening in on conversations between individuals, they learn not only the language, but also about family matters, economics, politics, personal finance, jobs, sports, health, nutrition, and so on. The list is endless.

3) Communication skills of the immediate family: I feel this plays a very important role in developing a deaf child’s language. Parents cannot only rely on the school system to teach the deaf child language. Parents need to learn how to communicate with their own child, include them in family discussions, and encourage literacy in the home environment.

:gpost::gpost:

:lol:

I do see that some hearing people have very poor grammar too! Not only deaf or HoH have poor grammar! ;)

One day I wrote the note and some hearing people cannot read or write! :shock: !!!

Peace :D

:lol:

I do see that some hearing people have very poor grammar too! Not only deaf or HoH have poor grammar! ;)

One day I wrote the note and some hearing people cannot read or write! :shock: !!!

Peace :D

Basic true that there are average 8th grade level in English. Few are above than the level is.

I did a research paper on this last semester and the information I got came down to that deaf children who attended deaf schools, who routinely teach below grade level, are strongly ASL based which uses English words with a different syntax and grammar than straight up English does.

Also deaf children who have had very little English learning (as in an all-ASL based learning) tend to read sentences in a linear manner than a hierarchial manner. (not all obviously, but those that have had little to no English instruction or very poor English instruction). For example:

The boy threw the ball, and broke the window. <-- original sentence

A boy. Ball broke window. <-- how a strongly ASL based student may read the sentence.

Surprisingly enough though that ASL-based students tend to have little trouble reading simple declarative sentences. The deaf students understand the words, but not clear on the order of them or why, as again, ASL has its own grammar and syntax apart from English.

I'm not saying that ASL instruction is bad as I am a firm believer that a deaf child needs a solid foundational language to which all other learning can take place on and grow.

Another fault within the public education system is that when they teach students to read, they teach them to read phonetically - IE - sounding out the word. To a deaf student this becomes a tedious and meaningless task, especially if they cannot hear in the first place.

We need to teach deaf children to read the way they experience the world - visually. Of course when you put pictures in place of words in a compound sentence, it tends to lose its meaning I think. For example: (using the same sentence as above using pictures)
Boy.gif
Muir%20overhand%20throw%20ball%20ready.JPG
exercise_ball_blue.jpg
broken-window.jpg

Its the same sentence but pictorially it's interesting but it becomes confusing.

This is why I am in agreement with Shel90 and others about having a Bi-Bi approach to learning with deaf children whether they are in a deaf school or mainstreamed in a public school.

im not trying to be mean I seriously want to know, ive know about five people who are my friends, not going to mention any names erhmm that are terrible when putting sentences in here, I was just wondering why that is, not trying to be funny or cute but I was curious, hope no one gets mad I appreciate it.

I grew up in the late 40's and 50's and a lot of HOH and deaf kids were send away as people thought the kids were retarded! The kids that did make it to schools were put in a reject class , this was a class for kids that were slow , or kids that were 'trouble makers'! We had one burned out teacher and she was the only teacher we had all day! The kids were given work that was below their grade lever skills as the school wanted to made sure the kids
'PASS' the grade. This way the school could get rids of the kids and not spent a lot of money and time on the reject students! This is why HOH and deaf people have poor writing skill . Some kids were lucky and their parents
got their kids the help they needed . I wish I have thought of suing my school for not giving me the same education it gave to the students that were not handicap! HOH and deaf kids parents paid taxes just like every other parents did! And the kids were rob of getting an equal education !
I hope parents fights for their HOH and deaf kids rights today and not believe their child is a retard !
And I have to say I see a lot of people on blogs with poor grammer and I doubt if they are all HOH.

. Some kids were lucky and their parents
got their kids the help they needed . I wish I have thought of suing my school for not giving me the same education it gave to the students that were not handicap! HOH and deaf kids parents paid taxes just like every other parents did! And the kids were rob of getting an equal education !
I hope parents fights for their HOH and deaf kids rights today and not believe their child is a retard !
And I have to say I see a lot of people on blogs with poor grammer and I doubt if they are all HOH.

I was the generation after you of the 60's and 70's. I got a good education in the public schools and what I did not get my parents made sure I learned at home.

It would make just as much sense to sue your parents for not helping you as it would to sue the school.:cool2:

no it doesn't but i noticed most deaf or HoH doesn't read that much and happened to come across using ASL in my opinion when I first came to csd to visit my english was twisted and I realized i can't go to csd when I was in middle school cuz csd was against SEE so I kept using SEE til I was ready to change to ASL so I basically use PSE now ;) I never will let anyone screw my english up for sure.. cuz it helps me to communicate with people if it wasn't for my parents then I probably wud not be here to able to understand you people :P

oh yeah I noticed if people doesn't do well in english then they wud do well in math instead but unfortunately for me.. my math sucks so go figures lol :P

I disagree about HOH people not liking to read a lot I love to read and I read a lot when I was a teenager , John Steinbeck was my favorite author!
When I went to collage my reading score was high for someone being HOH.
I did not do well in math , it turned out I was dyslexia and read ny numbers backward!

I disagree about HOH people not liking to read a lot I love to read and I read a lot when I was a teenager , John Steinbeck was my favorite author!
When I went to collage my reading score was high for someone being HOH.
I did not do well in math , it turned out I was dyslexia and read ny numbers backward!

Dyscalculia........

I was the generation after you of the 60's and 70's. I got a good education in the public schools and what I did not get my parents made sure I learned at home.

It would make just as much sense to sue your parents for not helping you as it would to sue the school.:cool2:

My dad was born in 1892 in Russia and he was use to seeing handicaps people locked up and forgotten about! And mom did not do very good in school and thought it would no use to worry about her kids education ! My parents were really clueless when it came to their kids education . I feel my school should had know better and tried to educate my parents on how to teach a HOH child . My school DID NOT do that, they told my parents I was retarded! My high school principal told my parents and me I was wasting my teachers time and tax payer money and that I should drop out of high school!
I two more years of school to finish. This why I feel I should had sue my school! I never heard of any one else have this happen to them!

My dad was born in 1892 in Russia and he was use to seeing handicaps people locked up and forgotten about! And mom did not do very good in school and thought it would no use to worry about her kids education ! My parents were really clueless when it came to their kids education . I feel my school should had know better and tried to educate my parents on how to teach a HOH child . My school DID NOT do that, they told my parents I was retarded! My high school principal told my parents and me I was wasting my teachers time and tax payer money and that I should drop out of high school!
I two more years of school to finish. This why I feel I should had sue my school! I never heard of any one else have this happen to them!

That makes sense when you give your parents background.

I have deaf grandparents, but hearing father who was determined not to let me end up in the state deaf schools which at that time were notorious for poor education.

She answered for me. :)

And when someone mentions it...they get accused of having an "attitude." Check out my post in the Forum Suggestions when I suggested cleaning up the grammar on this site.

Apparently I have an "attitude" for wanting good grammar. :whistle:

Back