Official AllDeaf Switched At Birth Discussion [tv show on abc family]

Too much dancing in "Dance me to the end of love" episode.

This show sucks big time. Honestly, it's expected because who would've thought those screenwriters could come up short? :P

How about the Deaf characters? Can you explain why it's suck big time? I thought that you're so proud to being a Deaf and Deaf community. Don't you like Sean Berdy, Marlee Matlin, Katie LeClerc, Ryan Lane?

did these get addressed yet?

1. Concept is good. Finally a show that puts it out there about deafness, the culture, the community, etc. Thank you for this. It was awesome to see mom stand up for her daughter and explain some of the nuances of deafness. Cochlear implants are NOT always the answer. I really liked to watch the mom get riled up about ignorance of deafness and put it out there. :ty:

2. Sim-com: Really? I don't know many who do sim-com when talking with someone who understands sign. Please, can you limit the sim-com? There are captions when there is signing between deaf girl/deaf boy, but mom and grams understand sign, so why must the girl sim-com to them? :shock:

3. Speech-reading/lip reading: Why must everyone make the assumption that this is easy for deaf people? It is not. I would like to see some discussion on this in one of the shows. :roll:

4. The boy CHOSE to not learn to speak? NO! This is not always a choice! Some deaf people choose to learn to speak, some are forced into it from many years of speech therapy and then make the conscious decision to speak, but not all have that option. Please make this point clear in an episode. :eek3:

I think I'm done for now. This is also cool to me that ABC Family wants to know what we think, so rock on! Thanks for asking for OUR opinion as opposed to just throwing the Deaf community out there with a bunch of hearing opinions only! Thank you! :D

Ok I completely agree with the first point as for 3 this was discussed in series. And 4 yes Emmett chose not to learn to speak... actually it seems more like he was convinced never to learn... I don't think that's a good thing btw... and before anyone gets upset with me I think EVERYONE should learn at least one oral and one manual language... I'm working on ASL, and Japanese as of now...

Anyway I think the sim-com is kinda needed he Aries minds are drawn to sounds and it can be difficult to focus on looking at something with no sound to help occupy the brain

Got some questions
1 Anyone think the show is pushing speaking on deaf characters?
2 still think it bad for deafies?
3 have your ships sunk?
4 how do you feel about Daphne?

Personally I never thought the show was saying Deaf chapters had to speak... there's was that whole up roar about Emmett speaking. But hopefully you see that it has not changed him neither has taking speech therapy. I think it's good to know all you can you never know when it may be needed... and perhaps being able to say "I'm deaf" would have help with the police... but maybe not they were conjunction pits...
for the most part the show is decent yes there is some reality suspension but it's a TV drama. And about the lip reading think some people just have a knack for it I have known now 2 people one hearing one Deaf who could speech read with amazing proficiency and at distances.
Still love Bay/Emmett and I thought Daphne/Wilkie was becoming something decent... oh well one ship sunk.
I hate Daphne like with a passion I disliked her as a flat character but now they have flecked her out she is whiny self-centered and more than a bit of a brat

3) I had one ship, and it sunk long, long ago.

I was IRRATIONALLY invested in daphne/liam, and that has sunk deeper than the Titanic. D=

No, I think they will have a special Christmas "Switched At Birth" in December of this year (2014).

Personally, I don't like the way the character "Daphne" being able to understand in lipreading like her mother who could not sign because the doctor told her that she can not sign because she was sick. So she was not suppose to sign ever again. So how the heck can Daphne had to lipread her like she seem to understand her 100%? Yes, have to remember that it is just a drama show. Lipreading is not 100% at all. Only way for the deaf and hard of hearing is trying to make out what the person is saying and also try to do guess work on what the person is saying.

On the last episode on Monday night (Aug. 18, 2014), Daphne went to the Police station to surrender herself for the crime she had committed. Bay was there with her. The police officer (a woman) asked Daphne if she needed to have ASL interpreter so that she can understand what is going on. Daphne did not want the interpreter. That make me piss off. But now I see that Bay was going to lie for Daphne that Bay had committed the crime. So everything seem to work out okay but Bay was off to jail for Daphne. Daphne was a piece of work if she can not see the difference between right or wrong.

I had seen the actress (Daphne) playing the role of hearing Amish woman who was adopted as a baby by the Amish couple many years ago. It is hard for me to believe that she would play like that as a hearing person. I was so disappointed at this. :(

No, I think they will have a special Christmas "Switched At Birth" in December of this year (2014).

Personally, I don't like the way the character "Daphne" being able to understand in lipreading like her mother who could not sign because the doctor told her that she can not sign because she was sick. So she was not suppose to sign ever again. So how the heck can Daphne had to lipread her like she seem to understand her 100%? Yes, have to remember that it is just a drama show. Lipreading is not 100% at all. Only way for the deaf and hard of hearing is trying to make out what the person is saying and also try to do guess work on what the person is saying.

On the last episode on Monday night (Aug. 18, 2014), Daphne went to the Police station to surrender herself for the crime she had committed. Bay was there with her. The police officer (a woman) asked Daphne if she needed to have ASL interpreter so that she can understand what is going on. Daphne did not want the interpreter. That make me piss off. But now I see that Bay was going to lie for Daphne that Bay had committed the crime. So everything seem to work out okay but Bay was off to jail for Daphne. Daphne was a piece of work if she can not see the difference between right or wrong.

I had seen the actress (Daphne) playing the role of hearing Amish woman who was adopted as a baby by the Amish couple many years ago. It is hard for me to believe that she would play like that as a hearing person. I was so disappointed at this. :(

Out of curiosity, why would her decision to not have a interpreter upset you?
I went for a job interview last week or so and the lady contact me prior asking me if I needed an ASL interpreter and I told her no. *shrugs

Out of curiosity, why would her decision to not have a interpreter upset you?
I went for a job interview last week or so and the lady contact me prior asking me if I needed an ASL interpreter and I told her no. *shrugs

The least you could have done here with this response is to say why.....

Back