Observation

Most of the people here are wonderful people I want to continue to engage with, both online and off. Some I won't have anything to do with, after witnessing their awful behavior.

But I really don't understand why you would question me about why I am here because I object to the vicious behavior and attack mechanism that goes into action EVERY time FJ posts. I've stated my intent many times, but I don't see a need to continuously defend my participation in the deaf community -
Grendel, that is horrible that you went through that! But on the other hand, at least you've found that people in the real life Deaf community are accepting. And I think that's amazing. I remember ten years ago , virtually everyone was anti CI. But the kids grew up and it was still found they needed traditional Deaf and severely hoh interventions.
We welcome you 100%...you're an awesome parent, and I wish SO badly we had more parents like you! Yes, there's a lot of frustration towards faire joure.....but that is because she does not understand. She is taking her anger about the negative Deaf experiances that she's had, out on us. She is also BEYOND anxious and scared about if Miss Kat will develop sophisciated spoken language or not, and is taking it out on us.

These "attacks", the "true nature, intolerance and bias" of some posters? If you're going to go there, let's address FJ's sarcasm, referring to us as "asses", "these people", giggling at someone who doesn't know how a word is pronounced? And that's just for starters.

More than anything, this appears to be a "defend the other hearing parents on here no matter how offensive they are or what their reputation is simply because they are hearing parents. We have to stick together. The "Us" against "them" mentality." The deaf community is feared on a certain level by hearing parents, and that fear becomes even greater when a hearing parent doesn't side with them in their perspective.

They say they come here to learn, but one cannot learn when one is constantly defending their actions and their beliefs without even giving alternate information consideration and incorporating it into their thinking. That is not attempting to learn, it is attempting to convince people that you already know it all. A refusal to learn.

Actually a part of the healing process for a hearing parent with a deaf child. But, and this is a big but, the key word is process....meaning get through the stage and move forward with a better more enlightened perspective.

What I'm asking Grendel is what does she expect from this community? I try to support AD members whatever their situations and choices are. Is it fair to ask the AD community to accept negative stereotypes about the Deaf/HOH community?

No it is not.

I have just spent the better part of 3 hours reading this thread from start to finish and all I can say is, "WOW!!!" The hate and anger from one, the calm responses from many, the heated, but polite responses from many and then again the ridiculous spiteful and vengeful responses from the one. I am glad that I did not take the time to respond to specific posts as I would have totally lost my mind and my cool. I have taken people's advice and just sat back and "digested" it before moving on.

The original intention of this thread made a lot of sense and had a lot of merit. It then turned into a circus of "Not my child!!"

While I am new to the deaf community, I have gone through quite a bit that a lot of you have gone through. I am still going through a lot, but hey, I will make it through and be a better person for it. Yes, I would have benefited greatly if my parents were given better options to chose from. They weren't, so I had to deal with it. I missed out on a lot and in essence never knew ANYTHING about deaf culture or deaf community. I never saw or knew of a deaf person. I thought my father and I were the only ones. It took moving from the small town to the larger area before "my eyes were opened", and at the same time, the deaf community was being put more and more into the spotlight.

I feel, and I think most here on AD will agree and have agreed, that we are not advocating for "oral only" or "ASL only". We are simply advocating that a child be given the opportunity to learn BOTH. Okay - so the children involved are learning both, so why are we being accused of saying said children are being held back. We are not. We are merely stating that there are many children in the general population the this grand planet who are NOT given that opportunity.

I could say more, but I will stop for now as I don't need any backlash for my own opinions, such as they may be.

I have just spent the better part of 3 hours reading this thread from start to finish and all I can say is, "WOW!!!" The hate and anger from one, the calm responses from many, the heated, but polite responses from many and then again the ridiculous spiteful and vengeful responses from the one. I am glad that I did not take the time to respond to specific posts as I would have totally lost my mind and my cool. I have taken people's advice and just sat back and "digested" it before moving on.

The original intention of this thread made a lot of sense and had a lot of merit. It then turned into a circus of "Not my child!!"

While I am new to the deaf community, I have gone through quite a bit that a lot of you have gone through. I am still going through a lot, but hey, I will make it through and be a better person for it. Yes, I would have benefited greatly if my parents were given better options to chose from. They weren't, so I had to deal with it. I missed out on a lot and in essence never knew ANYTHING about deaf culture or deaf community. I never saw or knew of a deaf person. I thought my father and I were the only ones. It took moving from the small town to the larger area before "my eyes were opened", and at the same time, the deaf community was being put more and more into the spotlight.

I feel, and I think most here on AD will agree and have agreed, that we are not advocating for "oral only" or "ASL only". We are simply advocating that a child be given the opportunity to learn BOTH. Okay - so the children involved are learning both, so why are we being accused of saying said children are being held back. We are not. We are merely stating that there are many children in the general population the this grand planet who are NOT given that opportunity.

I could say more, but I will stop for now as I don't need any backlash for my own opinions, such as they may be.

You nailed it. And I will also add that hearing parents are also somewhat fearful of others actually understanding their child on a level they cannot. I know for a fact that I realized early on that there were a community of people that understood my son on a level I would never be capable of. The Deaf adults who had been deaf children. And I will also admit, as much as I hate to from a mother's perspective, that I found that somewhat threatening. Of course I wondered if I would eventually loose my son to the deaf community if I allowed him to form bonds there.Would what they provide for him become more important to him than the bond with his hearing mother? Would allowing him to i.d. as deaf mean that he would no longer include in his identity the fact that he was my child?

Fortunately, both the community and my son allowed me to follow him on his journey and enjoy the experience in the process. I wasn't loosing anything at all. I gained a whole new family. No one wanted to take my son from me. They only wanted to share the joy of him. It was all gains and no losses, despite my initial fears.

I, personally believe, that all hearing parents go through these fears, whether they have reached the point of being able to verbalize it or not. And those fears are apparent in some of their reactions. I tell of my experience with my son not to point out that those who choose a different way are "wrong", but simply as a way of saying, "Hey, there is nothing to be afraid of. I know. I've been where you are and am now way on the other side. But as long as you have those fears, whether consciously or unconsciously, they will influence the decisions you make, and those influences will always be biased in addressing your fears instead of your child's needs. Hearing parents of deaf children go through this on a level that parents of blind children, or children with mobility issues, etc. do not because of the cultural and communicative nature of deafness itself. It is a unique situation. And it takes time. One does not learn of the diagnosis of a deaf child, and the next day work through all of the emotional, social, and psychological implications of that diagnosis. I still discover new things that I need to deal with in that aspect, and my son is an adult. Where do those issues come to light. A great deal of them come to light in this forum, where deaf adults continue to show me that, even today, the fact that my son has a fundamental part of him that I can never fully relate to creates anxiety for me still in some situations.

My being a hearing parent of a deaf child has been such an important and life changing event that I made working for the betterment of deaf children my careeer. Too many times I have seen parents that refuse to admit that they are human and have fears and concerns and never deal with them. I see the effects of that on the children. I see society's refusal to adjust some of the most prevalent audist views, and I see the effect that has on the kids. Do I get passionate about that? Damn straight I do. Expecting me not to be passionate about so important a topic is asking for something I simply cannot do. It is not in my nature, nor is it in my intentions. If some are offended by my passion, I am sorry. But I will not alter my passion because a hearing parent takes something personally that was not intended as such. Misinterpretation of my words or my motives is not my problem. It is the problem of one who reads my posts with pre-formed ideas of what I am saying.

And, if anyone takes offense to this post, I will be more than happy to discuss your objections reasonably and offer reasons for every single one of my assertions. I will not, however, tolerate the degrading, the assaults, and the deliberate twisting of my words that has occurred in the past in the hands of a few select hearing posters.

I will end this with some sage advise...don't ask the questions unless you are ready to accept the answers, no matter what they are.

**smile**

Kristin and Jillio, that was a lot of powerful stuff to share and I really appreciate it!
Fear is the ego protecting itself. We've all been afraid. What can be harder to face is what it is that we're actually afraid of.

Someone on another forum told me they felt bad for me that I am now hoh. I told them, don't feel bad. It isn't an illness or big problem. I've gained something now. I gained a new perspective and the possibility of a new community. So long as I suspend my own ego.

Kristina and Jillio, your posts are the best posts to date on the issue at hand. Thank you. I hope all hearing parents of deaf children get to read those posts. You have articulated the very heart of it. :)

Kristina and Jillio, your posts are the best posts to date on the issue at hand. Thank you. I hope all hearing parents of deaf children get to read those posts. You have articulated the very heart of it. :)

What I find a little amazing about our posts together? Mine is from a person who was hoh and is now deaf and her's is purely from the point of being a parent of a deaf child. The only other thing I guess we need is the same type of thing from one who was born deaf. Then, we would have the whole spectrum, right?

Thank you, Kristina.

My story will have a different twist than to the both of you and to that of one who has been raised Culturally Deaf.

Born severely-deaf, the only one deaf in my entire family, and not 'professionally' diagnosed until I was 11 (long story as to why). Thrust directly into full-on mainstream school with hearing aids by the suggestion of the professionals at the Hearing Centre saying that would 'fix' it. (Deaf community and culture was never mentioned) Told by the professionals that I was HoH when in fact I was severely-deaf. Had intensive therapy to be 'wired' 'hearing' through speech therapy, when in fact my brain was wired differently. I am only now, after being introduced to the Deaf community 18 months ago, beginning to understand myself and have accepted myself as I truly am.

While being frank about this, I must also give credit to my supportive family. Despite them not knowing that I needed visual language, they had done and are still doing a lot to assist me in my life's journey. As much as I appreciate from their perspective, that they think I am 'missing out on so much' and want me to experience what it is like to hear things I cannot, I also appreciate their efforts to understand where I am coming from. It has been a shock to them all to find out that after all these years, I was more deaf that they were led to believe and the trauma I went through at school. I am still dealing with issues pertaining to that. However, life-long habits are difficult to break. Gradually but consistently is the best way so to take it easy on my parents, husband and children.

As a mother of 7, I understand how as a mother, we will do anything in the best interests of our children. My passion, that I try to express in my posts, is that I would not wish what I went through on any d/Deaf child. I am well-loved by my family and I wouldn't be where I am today without them. But, I went through a lot that was not positively constructive in mainstream oral-only schools and the 'conditioning' of audist professionals: both audiologists, therapists, and teachers. (I am a high achiever but it has not been without 'sweat and tears') It would have fared so much better had I had visual language. My oral skills I still put to good use because it is necessary in my environment, it is not wasted entirely, but it is not without a price on my part.

So your post Kristina, and Jillio's covers most of it. Once again, Thank you.

I agree.

Thank you, Kristina.

My story will have a different twist than to the both of you and to that of one who has been raised Culturally Deaf.

Born severely-deaf, the only one deaf in my entire family, and not 'professionally' diagnosed until I was 11 (long story as to why). Thrust directly into full-on mainstream school with hearing aids by the suggestion of the professionals at the Hearing Centre saying that would 'fix' it. (Deaf community and culture was never mentioned) Told by the professionals that I was HoH when in fact I was severely-deaf. Had intensive therapy to be 'wired' 'hearing' through speech therapy, when in fact my brain was wired differently. I am only now, after being introduced to the Deaf community 18 months ago, beginning to understand myself and have accepted myself as I truly am.

While being frank about this, I must also give credit to my supportive family. Despite them not knowing that I needed visual language, they had done and are still doing a lot to assist me in my life's journey. As much as I appreciate from their perspective, that they think I am 'missing out on so much' and want me to experience what it is like to hear things I cannot, I also appreciate their efforts to understand where I am coming from. It has been a shock to them all to find out that after all these years, I was more deaf that they were led to believe and the trauma I went through at school. I am still dealing with issues pertaining to that. However, life-long habits are difficult to break. Gradually but consistently is the best way so to take it easy on my parents, husband and children.

As a mother of 7, I understand how as a mother, we will do anything in the best interests of our children. My passion, that I try to express in my posts, is that I would not wish what I went through on any d/Deaf child. I am well-loved by my family and I wouldn't be where I am today without them. But, I went through a lot that was not positively constructive in mainstream oral-only schools and the 'conditioning' of audist professionals: both audiologists, therapists, and teachers. (I am a high achiever but it has not been without 'sweat and tears') It would have fared so much better had I had visual language. My oral skills I still put to good use because it is necessary in my environment, it is not wasted entirely, but it is not without a price on my part.

So your post Kristina, and Jillio's covers most of it. Once again, Thank you.

Good posting. Thanks for sharing.

jillo, AMAZING post! I really think mandatory counseling with a psychologist experianced with dealing with issues related to kids with disabilties, for parents is a must.
So often parents make choices for their kids b/c they're still greiving the "loss" of a "healthy normal" kid. So they chose the option that seems the "most normal"
Before I get attacked, that isn't always so....but in many many many cases it IS true.
I see parents grieving about having hoh kids, about having kids with (non intellectucally disabled) CP, I see parents grieving about having kids who are blind, who are whatever.....Granted the grief is understandable with kids with profound issues. Unfortunatly those kids will always be like a baby or a toddler.
Imagine if parents were given the options of "this option will help your kid learn. Yes, it's different from the way hearing/sighted/nondisabled kids do something......but it will help them, so they don't have to work so hard!

To all who responded: thank you for taking my post in the spirit I intended it.:ty:

Shel and Kristina: love you, too.

And to all of you, please keep teaching me what I need to know for the kid's sake.

Back