New Signers' Funny Mistakes

what's the sign for teacher?

Like running your hands along the side of a mortarboard hat that you have on your head.

Edit Forgot to say followed by the hands going down in front of the body to indicate it is a person.

I'd just started learning sign language in High school and my friend gave me one of the cookies she had baked and I wanted to express my thanks...except my hand went a little too far back under my chin and i ended up signing something not so nice resulting in a wide-eyes stare from my friend and a wtf moment.

Here are a few for me.

- Sometimes I sign "Do you want to eat some bitch?"
- When I sign "Nice to meet you", as I'm signing "meet" I have to keep thinking to myself "Index finger only. Do NOT do two fingers together."
- I have to think really hard before I sign ugly, dry, or summer. "Chin? Upper lip? Forehead? Crap!" Sometimes I sign something like "This chicken is good, but it's a little ugly... no, summer! No! Dry!"
- Don't even get me started on lucky, hot, spicy, and favorite.
- I once almost poked an eye out trying to sign "I doubt it". I can't remember the question I was answering, but it was probably "Will you have both eyes at the end of this conversation?"
- I hope I never get glasses because those things will go flying.

Here are a few for me.

- Sometimes I sign "Do you want to eat some bitch?"
- When I sign "Nice to meet you", as I'm signing "meet" I have to keep thinking to myself "Index finger only. Do NOT do two fingers together."
- I have to think really hard before I sign ugly, dry, or summer. "Chin? Upper lip? Forehead? Crap!" Sometimes I sign something like "This chicken is good, but it's a little ugly... no, summer! No! Dry!"
- Don't even get me started on lucky, hot, spicy, and favorite.
- I once almost poked an eye out trying to sign "I doubt it". I can't remember the question I was answering, but it was probably "Will you have both eyes at the end of this conversation?"
- I hope I never get glasses because those things will go flying.

Though you may just keep your eyeballs a bit longer if you did!

I'd just started learning sign language in High school and my friend gave me one of the cookies she had baked and I wanted to express my thanks...except my hand went a little too far back under my chin and i ended up signing something not so nice resulting in a wide-eyes stare from my friend and a wtf moment.

:laugh2: I couldn't help but smile as I imagined in my mind what the scenario looked like. I'm surprised she didn't take the cookies back :giggle:

Exactly the same thing happened to a dear friend of mine from college - she signed that "fuck you" alternative sign when she meant to say Thank you.

Had a good laugh after that.

Be careful swearing because mistake swearing

I understand be carful I am important to watch ASL... I am very good help you information you. BE watch on sign langauge

:laugh2: I couldn't help but smile as I imagined in my mind what the scenario looked like. I'm surprised she didn't take the cookies back :giggle:

Haha. She almost did, as i remember it. She didn't let me live it down and to make sure I would never forget it she would sign it to me the same way i signed it to her:lol:

I've been signing for over 2 years now (still a newbie, I know) and I still continue to "mumble", or drop signs. I'm a very lazy signer and i'm trying to work on that but it's a tough habit to break. :doh:

Once I suggested that my friends dog needed to piss... except instead of signing piss, I signed penis. You should of seen some of the comments after that!

Oh man, I have seen many people make goofs on their signs...

One of my all time favorites is when my friend tried to sign "train gone" (I had just taught him that one) and he ended up signing "cum"... Then another was when my transcriber tried to sign "Thank you" and ended up saying "f*** you"... It was priceless!

Plus, we have a hearing teacher who teaches the basic sign language (1 hour) course at our campus during the fall semester and I crack up so bad in his class... I normally go just to make sure I keep him on track and enjoy laughing with him...

I had to add this. I am in ASL 2 and yesterday in class this boy was trying to say morning and my teacher started cracking up. Apparently he said fart fart fart lol

I've seen someone say they need sex instead of need to shave, that was a good laugh.

Oh, and penis instead of Polish

I've seen someone say they need sex instead of need to shave, that was a good laugh.

Oh, and penis instead of Polish

Well, that sign for Polish is way outdated.....makes me wonder...

I am often corrected by a young man at work. He hears, but was raised in a deaf foster family. I am learning. It's better to be corrected. But it can be much funnier not to.

A Funny Story

I have a friend whose brother is a total ass****. My friend isn't deaf, but one day his mom, his brother and him were in a parkinglot and there was a deaf boy signing to his mother and my friend's older brother began to wave his arms around in the air making fun of the little boy. Well, the deaf kid began signing at him really fast! The kid's mother happened to see him saying something in sign language and she slapped his hand and yelled, "You know better than to say those words!" So, my friend yelled to his mother, "Hey mom! I think TJ just got cussed out in sign language!"

Actually I am learning sign language, so if you can help me with it, I'd apprecfiate it! I only know a few words of it.
Email me_ aprilskutt@gmail.com

I have a friend whose brother is a total ass****. My friend isn't deaf, but one day his mom, his brother and him were in a parkinglot and there was a deaf boy signing to his mother and my friend's older brother began to wave his arms around in the air making fun of the little boy. Well, the deaf kid began signing at him really fast! The kid's mother happened to see him saying something in sign language and she slapped his hand and yelled, "You know better than to say those words!" So, my friend yelled to his mother, "Hey mom! I think TJ just got cussed out in sign language!"

Actually I am learning sign language, so if you can help me with it, I'd apprecfiate it! I only know a few words of it.
Email me_ aprilskutt@gmail.com

:nono: Depressing. :(

Back