New Signers' Funny Mistakes

MONTH - two index fingers. The passive hand is static, pointing upright. The dominant hand is sideway. The dominant hand go behind the passive hand and slide down it.

There are two way of doing CONDOM. One is similar to the above, but instead of the dominant index finger sliding down behind the passive index, it is infront of the passive index. The other is making an O-shape with the dominant hand, then sliding down the passive index finger (... like putting on a condom.)

Oh okay. Whew, I've been signing month right. :ty: souggy. :)

Funny story:

At an all-Deaf cafe, my mom went to get breakfast at the Manitoba School for the Deaf. They weren't allowed to speak at all, well the workers wouldn't know spoken English anyway. So she forgot the sign for toast. So she signed "brown bread."

What came out was "beer and bread."

Wee! Someone want to get smashed at 6 in the morning!

:rofl:

I'd wish I'd kown that first one >.<

Apparently I've been signing A***HOLE instead of CLUELESS until one of my professors corrected me in class the other day :Oops: Looking back, I've used that sign a lot...

Yikes! After reading this thread, maybe I ought to take an ASL class just to make sure I'm not swearing all over the place! I was raised more or less on SEE, but I was taught by adult hearies who learned from a SEE dictionary, which was at the time a completely new concept if I understand my history correctly, and I have no contact with other deaf, so everybody thinks I'm the authority on signing since I'm the only deaf.

This thread is great!

I once signed 'happy' wrong.... I substituted 'enjoy' so that what was supposed to be 'I'm happy' didn't quite turn out right. :/

Oh okay. Whew, I've been signing month right. :ty: souggy. :)

Yeah... just realized with the second sign for CONDOM.. it's done with the F-hand, not the O-hand. You just slide the loop over the index finger; still have to be upright (pointing to the ceiling) though, or it would means something else.

Yeah... just realized with the second sign for CONDOM.. it's done with the F-hand, not the O-hand. You just slide the loop over the index finger; still have to be upright (pointing to the ceiling) though, or it would means something else.

:ty:

Today a girl told me she is a "Red rapist". Turns out she meant to tell me she works at a restaurant...

My funniest moment was when I was talking to my ASL coordinator of the ASL program at my university. I was in ASL 4 at the time this happened. I had meant to say I was meeting with a friend and I accidentally said F*ck instead. She was like your hands aren't working today are they? I was like no they are not and we both laughed at that for awhile before we finally got talking to what we originally we supposed to talk about.

The next funny moment of signing words incorrectly was when I was in my ASL 2 class and one of my classmates meant to say dentist and said asshole. it was really funny because my teacher was like you mean to say dentist not this. It was really funny, I will never forget that!

I was leaving class one night and I was trying to tell the Professor, "see you tuesday" instead I signed..."see you..in the bathroom"?!? I could have died of embarrasement! :giggle:

My dad told me tonight at supper while he was trying to learn to sign, "I'm long, but I'm getting better, asshole!" My mom corrected him, "I'm slow, but I'm getting better." I've never seen my mom laugh so hard!

:giggle:

My dad told me tonight at supper while he was trying to learn to sign, "I'm long, but I'm getting better, asshole!" My mom corrected him, "I'm slow, but I'm getting better." I've never seen my mom laugh so hard!

:giggle:

:rofl:

Fun/Funny thread

Nice to know novice and experienced signers are all making mistakes and learning from them.
I appreciate my D/deaf friends pointing out an error when I make one

Finally finishing up ASL Apps levels.
The Sex,Drugs,Rock and Roll classes both informative and funny. I know now, there is a reason that curse vocab and sensitive signs are not introduced to ASL1-6 levels - haha

Have a question- is the sign for "soda pop" also a sexual sign? It's the one where the middle finger is in closed fist and then is "slapped" on fist?

ASL teacher at a local high school insists that is a sign for "f**k". She brings it up because the above sign is in ASL book and she TELLS every class that!?!

A guy in my ASL one class wanted to make a sign for LONG, and stuck his middle finger out first instead of his pointer. Very fun sign name he has :)

Oh, also, a mistake on my behalf. The book we currently use for class apparently has a variation of the sign for READY. I was curious because it was a different sign from one the teacher had taught us previously, so I had to ask. She snatched up the marker and wrote DANGER on the board. Apparently the book version implies "ready to f---?". I learned quickly to avoid that :D

Oh, also, a mistake on my behalf. The book we currently use for class apparently has a variation of the sign for READY. I was curious because it was a different sign from one the teacher had taught us previously, so I had to ask. She snatched up the marker and wrote DANGER on the board. Apparently the book version implies "ready to f---?". I learned quickly to avoid that :D

Oh-oh! I only know one sign for "ready" so I have to ask, which sign is it? I need to make sure it isn't the sign my family uses :shock:

Have a question- is the sign for "soda pop" also a sexual sign? It's the one where the middle finger is in closed fist and then is "slapped" on fist?

ASL teacher at a local high school insists that is a sign for "f**k". She brings it up because the above sign is in ASL book and she TELLS every class that!?!

I've never seen the sign for soda pop used for the word you mentioned. :shrug: I have seen, and used, a different sign for that.

Back