ncff07 Come In Here Please

Hear Again

Reaction score
How did your CI surgery go and what CI brand did you choose? When is your activation date?

Yeah, Come on ncff07... we need new people/stories/new moments on board, no offence to others.

Yeah! I love to listen your story! If you get CI already. Congratulation!!!

How did your CI surgery go and what CI brand did you choose? When is your activation date?

Geez! you scared me! when i saw ncff07 come in here please i thought i got in trouble and was being called into the principals office!!! LOL :laugh2:

the surgery was a week ago today. it went fine the surgeon said there were no problems or complications. the nurse in recovery said it took about 2 hours. from what i read ive just had the same things from the surgery that is normal, numbness and an odd taste in my tongue, jaw being sore from the thing to protect the facial nerve (i think thats what it was) and just an earache from the ear packing and a little pain from the incision/staples but i think over all its good. go back friday to have the staples and packing removed. the hospital where i had it done only uses one brand, Cochlear, so i got the nucleus freedom and i go back the first week of March to turn it on.

i just looked at my packet for the implant it said "Nucleus Freedom implant with Contour Advance Electrode"

Really? That's interesting. I didn't know the Freedom used the Contour Advance electrode. I wonder how that differs from my N24 Contour Advance? At any rate, I'm so glad your surgery went well and I apologize for making you feel like you were being brought down to the principal's office. :laugh2:

ncff07,

Question. You said that you "read" information about your surgery. Does that mean you received your medical records? I never received mine for either of my CI surgeries, but I think I'm going to request them. I know I have a right to them, so I'm going to e-mail my CI audi and surgeon about this as soon as I get home (I'm not at home right now) where I can get their e-mail addresses.

Glad the surgery went well :D

JamieLynn

PS. Keep us posted on the activation day! ;)

Really? That's interesting. I didn't know the Freedom used the Contour Advance electrode. I wonder how that differs from my N24 Contour Advance? At any rate, I'm so glad your surgery went well and I apologize for making you feel like you were being brought down to the principal's office. :laugh2:

i dont know anything about different types of electrodes at all. just that the implant has an electrode with the 22 different elctrodes in it. i just hope ive got the best one lol and dont worry about that. i only had to go to the principals office once anyways for getting in trouble! :D

ncff07,

Question. You said that you "read" information about your surgery. Does that mean you received your medical records? I never received mine for either of my CI surgeries, but I think I'm going to request them. I know I have a right to them, so I'm going to e-mail my CI audi and surgeon about this as soon as I get home (I'm not at home right now) where I can get their e-mail addresses.

what i read was online doing research about cochlear implants, the surgery, risks, procedures, costs, and reports from people that had gotten them. which is how i found All Deaf, from searching Cochlear Implants. its kinda funny i never found anything about different kinds of electrodes. and if i did i didnt know what i was reading to tell a difference. when i was in the holding room right before surgery they did leave my medical file on the bed and i picked it up and read part of it but havent gotten my records yet. after its all done and they have time to file all the reports i plan on requesting everything to read and have for my records.

ncff07,

When is the big A-Day? (activation)

the date for the initial turn on is March 6th. and have a few appointments already set to adjust it every 2 weeks for a couple months then once a month.

Hear again, I am also confused with what implant i have, On my records (the folder they keep at CI centre) on top says my name, CI patient no, type of implant = nucleus freedom contour advance 24, whereas on my card says CI24RE, and I am told I got the latest implant. Seems there is different types of Implant OR names of same implant???

Hear again, I am also confused with what implant i have, On my records (the folder they keep at CI centre) on top says my name, CI patient no, type of implant = nucleus freedom contour advance 24, whereas on my card says CI24RE, and I am told I got the latest implant. Seems there is different types of Implant OR names of same implant???

im confused now too. i checked my info card i got with the model number and it says "CI24RE (CA)"

Yeah thats excatly what i have on my card along with my Serial number (god, i am branded!!) LOL

I looked in my records and on european website it does look like that Contour Advance (or nucleus freedom???) with smartsound2 is latest at the moment (which what i have)

im confused now too. i checked my info card i got with the model number and it says "CI24RE (CA)"

charlotte and ncff07,

I don't know what the number on my ID card is, but I do remember that it ended in the letters CA. Strangely enough, I received an ID card for my first CI, but not my second. I'll have to ask my audi about that.

I'm going to e-mail Linn Tearney at Cochlear to see if she can explain why our latest implants have the letters CA after it when we have the Freedom.

I'm going to e-mail Linn Tearney at Cochlear to see if she can explain why our latest implants have the letters CA after it when we have the Freedom.

thanks. that might clear things up. since they told me they only use the cochlear brand implants i figured there was only 1 type of internal part and they didnt say there were different ones. it does say nucleus freedom WITH contour advance electrode but doesnt have any number there with it. ill ask the audiologist when its activated about it.

I tried to answer your question the CI24RE is the freedom version of the N24 Contour Advance CI24R (CA) just means the Contour Advance. The array is the same for both while the freedom version has some additional electronics. there has been four different types of internal implants for Cochlear.
http://www.danaflex.com/Ny_viden/PDF/Reliablility_Report_Dec_07.pdf

Really? That's interesting. I didn't know the Freedom used the Contour Advance electrode. I wonder how that differs from my N24 Contour Advance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to answer your question the CI24RE is the freedom version of the N24 Contour Advance CI24R (CA) just means the Contour Advance. The array is the same for both while the freedom version has some additional electronics. there has been four different types of internal implants for Cochlear.

thank you. that answers my questions. that means ive got the newest/best thats out there so far and that was on my mind too. :ty:

I had someone read my ID card earlier and it states my first CI's serial number with the letters "CI" preceeded by a 6 digit number, but there is no CI model number written down.

I had someone read my ID card earlier and it states my first CI's serial number with the letters "CI" preceeded by a 6 digit number, but there is no CI model number written down.

Thats probably the processor number, Mine's different as i had my processor replaced two times! (3rd time lucky and the longest so far!) I am going to look at my processor......... Right, it's under the microphone cover, it got a letter and 5 numbers (if you can get anyone to look for you) Hopefully that should match whats on your card.

John, thank you for the link, it pretty much clears it up.

Hey..and *I* thought that I got the older model...for a while that's what I thought..didn't mention it to my audie , but was bothered by that!!! I had seen in the monitor , Contour Advance , and I didn't like it...I didn't mention it cuz it was too late anyway to complain....now u've made me happy , the card writes the same 24RE(CA)

Back