Meat eater VS vegetarian/vegan

Earthlings can be damaging to local farmers but not all the literature written about the dangers of animal farming?

Earthlings can hurt local farmers? Funny because it's the farmers who's doing the killing. you just said earlier that earthlings have had no impact and that AD members changing their diets was because of literature, not films like earthlings. But I digress. I get your point.

But i find your argument that we should keep eating meat or vegetables could get damaged very unique, you're the first who's ever said that and while I disagree completely and find this premise you're making very weird and way off, I have to somewhat admire that total out of left field statement, have heard all kinds of arguments for eating meat but that's a first.

Earthlings can be damaging to local farmers but not all the literature written about the dangers of animal farming?

Earthlings can hurt local farmers? Funny because it's the farmers who's doing the killing. you just said earlier that earthlings have had no impact and that AD members changing their diets was because of literature, not films like earthlings. But I digress. I get your point.

But i find your argument that we should keep eating meat or vegetables could get damaged very unique, you're the first who's ever said that and while I disagree completely and find this premise you're making very weird and way off, I have to somewhat admire that total out of left field statement, have heard all kinds of arguments for eating meat but that's a first.

are you saying there's not a single farm nor slaughterhouse that raises and slaughters animals in a humane way?

how did you come up with that question from what i wrote?

Earthlings can hurt local farmers? Funny because it's the farmers who's doing the killing.

You should know that I'm referring to local farmers who don't mistreat animals but if Earthlings or others converted numbers of people into vegans... that would mean those local farmers will be out of business and we'll get our meat from foreigners like China.

You can't just expect cow/pig/chicken farmers to simply switch over to raising crops if people have gone vegan. It doesn't work like that because it's a whole another different set of skill and everything.

I prefer that we band together and support our local farmers (both meat and vegetable) against Fat Cats. I would love to eat my meat that was raised and slaughtered just like the way our ancestors did it. I also would like to see legislation bills that puts a limit on numbers of animals that farmers can have proportional to size of their farms.

Jiro, China is now importing some of their meat and definitely grains from overseas. They are the reason price of grains have gone way up. They're the last place anyone would go for meat. Their multitudes of coal plants have affected the environment and is melting the glacier ice cap in Nepal that provides fresh water for all of southeast asia. This means less available water for farming.

You're also saying if earthlings converted some numbers of people, that hurts local farmers. In other words, if people stop eating meat, farmers get hurt? I don't give a flying fuck if my choice not to eat meat affects a farmer. I have the right to eat what I want and what I don't want and I am not going to let the income of a farmer decide my diet for me.

Going vegan is not that easy and it has many many many failed customers. It's not the easiest diet to go on and even people who had been vegan for years will still slip and slide into a juicy cheeseburger once in a while. I don't foresee anytime soon this great wave of people by the millions converting to veganism. This is real life we're talking about. What I do see and hope for is that people start thinking about the impact of their demands on this planet through their consumptions of foods and goods. Do we really need to eat meat three times a day? If factory farming didn't exist, the supply of meat would be much lower and far more pricey which would temper people's so called entitlement to have meat and dairy three times a day. And we wouldn't have all these disastrous impacts on land and water.

Factory farming allows people to be completely out of touch with how their demands are affecting the welfare of billions of animals. I say abolish factory farming, that would take care of so many problems but it would create another one - very high prices.

So, your concerns about cow/pig/chicken farmers suddenly switching over to vegetable crops because it requires a whole new skill set and everything ... so, is this another argument as to why people like me have to keep eating meat? because we can't expect animal farmers to suddenly learn new skills?

If anyone told me that I should stop being a vegan or not consider being one because otherwise I might cost a farmer a bit of a profit and also because he can't suddenly learn new skills and all that, I would first look at them incredulously and then say "seriously?"

Moving onto something else you brought up:

It's a contradiction in terms - humane slaughter.

I've seen a pig get slaughtered once...it didn't look very humane at all, that thing bellowed for what seemed like a long time, struggled against the weight of humans pressing him down before he finally succumbed to death.

I've also seen a chicken beheaded. It would be chased, then roughly grabbed and rather rudely shoved to the board where it flails in utter fear and confusion before its head got lopped off and in this case, it took two lops to get his head off. The other chickens nearby were clearly freaked out especially when the beheaded chicken spewing blood ran amongst them - it was a bit of a gruesome scene.

Dairy farms - calves are forcibly separated from their mothers every year, at a much younger age than weaning would have naturally occured in nature. They say the bellowing and crying goes on for days. Females continue to lactate and at a very high production that hurt their teats. Even on family farms they get hooked up to those vacuums. Let me tell you as a mom who breastfed two babies and used the pump for milk, a lot of tugging on the teats hurt! they get sore after a while.

So, humane...I find it strange to apply that word to the business of cultivating sentient beings for the purpose of consuming their flesh. There was a turkey farmer who lovingly described his turkeys and their beauty and even intelligence. A reporter said to him, "it must be sad when they go off to slaughter" and the farmer said, "sad? no, that's payday. Do you get sad when you get a bonus?"

This farmer, by anyone's standards, would be considered humane and he was a strong advocate for supporting local farmers. His turkeys, no matter how well he treated them, were still just a commodity in the end. To him, they meant dollar signs. If they didn't make him a profit, would he still be humane, without that motivation for money?

Humane farming....humane slaughter. This so called humaneness comes about in face of money. If those animals did not produce and were not edible, that humaneness would vanish. Those animals would be killed off, not because they're unhealthy but because their bodies were unfit for production and consumption and they're taking up space and costing farmers money for nothing.

humane, that's a word we use to comfort ourselves about the business of raising, slaughtering and consuming dead flesh of animals, it eases and soothes one's guilt complex.

I almost fell asleep watching Earthlings. That was my reaction.

It was very poorly done, to be honest. The narrative was not completely in sync with what was being shown so I had to really watch the captions, fading the visuals away. Then at that point, the narrative was boring and did not reel me in.

Fathead is a good one.

It's like the anti-Supersize Me.

To help clear the air - let me throw my two cents in...

The farm I work on is NOT a battery cage farm. We are considered a high-density floor laying house farm with four houses in total with each house housing roughly 12,000 birds at it's peak. The birds run freely within the confines of the chicken house which is 40 feet wide and 500 feet long. We have nesting boxes up on the slats where hens can do their laying business as well as the floor area which the hens and roosters use as a place to take a dustbath - it runs the entire length of the house and is roughly 10ft wide by my guesstimation. ALL chickens have access to water 24/7 and they are fed once a day by an automatic feeder.

Given our style of breeder farm - eggs will have feces and blood spots on them but they are NOT sold for human consumption, but rather they are given straight to Tyson to be hatched and grown into broilers for meat at 8-10 weeks old. Feces and blood spots on eggs are actually very common, even in small backyard coops you will find the odd egg with feces on it or one with a blood spot on it. The blood spot is not from abuse, it happens when the hen strains a little too hard, therefore popping a few blood vessels when laying the egg.

A uterine prolapse is known as a 'blow-out' and yes it is very painful for then hen, but given the high density of our operation we cannot guarantee that this will never happen. I have been on the farm since January and I can recall only twice that I have seen these. Once was on a hen that was still alive and the other on a hen that was already dead. Two known blow outs for 48,000 birds - I would say that's doing pretty good. However, I am not saying that other blow-outs did not occur, just stating what I have actually seen with my own two eyes.

Also, we go in the houses three times a day to gather 'floor eggs' and check the overall well-being of the birds in each house. If I find a dead bird, I will pick it up and properly dispose of it into the deep freezer outside the chicken house. The dead birds are collected by a pet foods company that will take them away.

If I find a bird that is caught in a piece of equipment, I will remove it from it's predicament, etc.

I don't do this because it's required, I do this because it's simply the right thing to do, to treat the animals with respect.

I am NOT a supporter of animal rights, but however I am a staunch supporter of animal welfare. While our high-density floor laying farm operation isn't perfect, I still believe it is far better than those who operate caged hen operations.

If anyone has questions, feel free to shoot them out.

Jiro, China is now importing some of their meat and definitely grains from overseas. They are the reason price of grains have gone way up. They're the last place anyone would go for meat. Their multitudes of coal plants have affected the environment and is melting the glacier ice cap in Nepal that provides fresh water for all of southeast asia. This means less available water for farming.

*snipped for brevity reason*

first of all - you're jumping all over and your emotion is clouding your thought process. Take a deep breath and read slowly.

I am all for person's choice to eat meat or vegetable or both. Earthlings is not offering that choice. Earthlings is basically telling you to go vegan. If you beg to differ - forget about it. It's just back to merry-go-around.

You do realize that if more and more people are going vegan... this will mean:
1. meat farmers will be out of jobs and I'm referring to honest people
2. if meat farmers are out of jobs, that means we'll have to rely more on foreigners for meat especially Chinese which means more environmental pollution
3. corporations will simply switch over to vegetable businesses and abuse it the same way they abused animals. Our supermarkets will be filled with GMO and vegetables that will be mass-produced and raised in a disgusting way.

and you and the vegans will have no choice but to eat GMO and these disgusting mass-produced vegetables filled with chemicals & hormones because corporations said so and they pushed Congress to pass the laws that will put many good honest local vegetable farmers out of business. Plus - mass-produced vegetables mean an abuse on environment with heavy water consumption and rapid depletion of arid soil which means it's fastest way to severe erosion and drought.

You seem to have a problem with "killing" animals even though if it's a quick, painless death. You don't give a flying fuck if meat farmers even honest people going out of business. Looks like you're telling me and other people to give it up and be vegans.

If you want people to start thinking about the impact of their demand... then you need to be realistic and logical. and you need to accept the fact that animals need to be killed for our consumption and I'd prefer that animals be killed in a quick, painless manner.

I'd like factory farming to be significantly reduced (or even better - banned) but I'd like to see more local meat farmers. So what's the simplest way to do that? Easy - support your local farmers. and stop being a pig because we shouldn't be eating meat 3x a day and lots of meat. That's not normal.

What you wish for will not work. What Earthlings wants will not work. It's an an epic fail because it actually favors corporations. "Balance" (aka moderation) is not a favorite word for Fat Cats. If everybody is a meat eater or vegetarian - it's still $$$$$$ for corporations and they will take advantage of it in any way they want. The more people on either side - the more $$$$ they see.

Do you want that?

first of all - you're jumping all over and your emotion is clouding your thought process. Take a deep breath and read slowly.

I am all for person's choice to eat meat or vegetable or both. Earthlings is not offering that choice. Earthlings is basically telling you to go vegan. If you beg to differ - forget about it. It's just back to merry-go-around.

You do realize that if more and more people are going vegan... this will mean:
1. meat farmers will be out of jobs and I'm referring to honest people
2. if meat farmers are out of jobs, that means we'll have to rely more on foreigners for meat especially Chinese which means more environmental pollution
3. corporations will simply switch over to vegetable businesses and abuse it the same way they abused animals. Our supermarkets will be filled with GMO and vegetables that will be mass-produced and raised in a disgusting way.

and you and the vegans will have no choice but to eat GMO and these disgusting mass-produced vegetables filled with chemicals & hormones because corporations said so and they pushed Congress to pass the laws that will put many good honest local vegetable farmers out of business. Plus - mass-produced vegetables mean an abuse on environment with heavy water consumption and rapid depletion of arid soil which means it's fastest way to severe erosion and drought.

You seem to have a problem with "killing" animals even though if it's a quick, painless death. You don't give a flying fuck if meat farmers even honest people going out of business. Looks like you're telling me and other people to give it up and be vegans.

If you want people to start thinking about the impact of their demand... then you need to be realistic and logical. and you need to accept the fact that animals need to be killed for our consumption and I'd prefer that animals be killed in a quick, painless manner.

I'd like factory farming to be significantly reduced (or even better - banned) but I'd like to see more local meat farmers. So what's the simplest way to do that? Easy - support your local farmers. and stop being a pig because we shouldn't be eating meat 3x a day and lots of meat. That's not normal.

What you wish for will not work. What Earthlings wants will not work. It's an an epic fail because it actually favors corporations. "Balance" (aka moderation) is not a favorite word for Fat Cats. If everybody is a meat eater or vegetarian - it's still $$$$$$ for corporations and they will take advantage of it in any way they want. The more people on either side - the more $$$$ they see.

Do you want that?

you're right earthlings does promote veganism in light of animal cruelty and huge environmental destruction of factory farming. does everyone who watch earthlings become a vegan? did this film suddenly destroy the farming industry? nope, like you said yourself, this film came out in 2005 and you don't see any significant impact and now you're saying well, this film is endangering the economy and veganism is a danger and a threat. I mean, you tell me to be realistic then you make statements like that. c'mon.

I dont think you read my post very well.

"You seem to have a problem with "killing" animals even though if it's a quick, painless death. You don't give a flying fuck if meat farmers even honest people going out of business. Looks like you're telling me and other people to give it up and be vegans. "

where in my post did I tell you and other people to give it up and become vegans? I said i am not going to let the income of a meat farmer, even an honest one, decide my diet for me. that should never be a deciding factor. the way you wrote, you made it sound like veganism/vegetarianism is immoral for it would hurt innocent people. I mean, that's just ridiculous. To begin with, there's nothing innocent about cultivating living breathing warm-blooded mammals who have feelings and emotions for the purpose of killing them and eating their flesh. Let's not pretend it's innocent. It's just simply a reality that that's what farming is. I have a feeling you would interpret this as being emotional and cloudy on my part. No, it's a fact. cows, pigs and chickens actually do have emotions and feelings. They may not express them the same way humans do but nonetheless, they have them. There's a reason farmers don't befriend their livestock, it's to detach themselves emotionally from those animals so they won't feel so awful when it comes time to kill them.

And you're still saying that people should not switch over to veganism or the poor meat farmers would be out of work and we would be forced to eat GMOs. ok, growing vegetables does not cost as much as raising cattle and it requires far less resources - I don't foresee a future of gmo vegetables taking over north america and vegans running amok. We are already growing too much grain in order to feed the animals, this environmental problem would go away if we cut down on meat consumption. you're talking about vegetable crops depleting the land and yet nary a word about the impact of agricultural on the environment - you're completely skimming over that.

Secondly, no, people do not NEED to eat animals. We now live in a world where transport across long distances is now possible and we have other options than eating meat. I can see why in some regions, eating meat is absolutely the only way to survive but most of us in the western world will not die from not killing and eating meat. again, this is a weak argument on your part.

And in no way did I say all people should switch to veganism and in fact, said it's very unlikely that there will be any huge conversion to veganism. You are reading things in my post that are not there. the only thing I've ever said was when we shop at Walmart or go to fast food chains, we are supporting factory farming and as such, animal cruelty and environmental destruction.

And again, china can barely get enough food to feed their billion plus population - that's why they're starting to import their food from abroad, what makes you think they can provide food for other countries? again, you're not reading my post or you're just skimming over it.

and I am being realistic about slaughter of animals, you asked if there was such a thing as humane slaughter and I am saying, when one witnesses how farm animals are usually killed, it doesn't look that humane. That humane slaughter is a contradiction in terms and now you're telling me to calm down. huh?

I think you're being obstinate. i am being real and honest and frank about the reality of farming. I would love for you to point out examples of my jumping all over the place with my emotions and thus clouding my thought processes in my posts, please do.

but i am noticing a pattern here of you asking me questions that don't seem very related to what i actually wrote. such as "you're saying there is no humane farms or slaughter?" when nothing I wrote suggested that.

And you're still presenting an argument that humans have to eat meat to keep checks and balances in the economy and because vegetable crops is bad for the environment. that's a lousy argument and a very silly one. if we cut out factory farming, lots of people will go out of work and production of meat will go way down and price of meat will go way up, why arent you saying "poor workers, whatever will they do? poor citizens...they can't afford meat as much as they used to..."

"What I wish for?" - what am i wishing for exactly? for factory farming to be abolished and for a far higher standards of animal welfare on farms. Of course it's not going to work, the dollar is king of all things on this planet. Factory farming means more meat and lower prices, and a huge huge huge income for the US - factory farming is one of the biggest industries not only in america but in the world - of course this will never be abolished - the us economy would sink without it.

I would appreciate it if you stop reading things in my posts that are not there or that I never said or implied just so you can make an opposing argument. I don't play coy or suggest laden meaning between the lines, what i said is what i said.

I think it's great you prefer to support local farmers, not factory farmers. But guess what, I'm mostly vegan because a vast majority of meat availabe in my country is from factory farming and what meats do come from local "free range" farms is very very costly so I buy meat for my son who is a meat lover and try to make as many dishes from what little meat I can afford to buy. Local free range chicken breasts - they go for about 7 dollars each. A whole free range chicken is about $20. Free range organic milk, about 6 dollars for 2 pints. Organic free range butter, about 10$ a pound. the free range organic turkey I bought for thanksgiving last year - $114 - yes, one free range organic turkey purchased from a local farmer cost me $114. My weekly shopping budget is 100$. so, in my efforts to avoid factory farming and support local farmers, i have no choice but to cut way way way down on meat and dairy consumption so again, your argument to support local farmers - you're not acknowledging that such support means far higher prices that many people cannot afford. Ironically enough, they will switch over to a more vegetables, beans and grains-based diet in their support for local farmers. so, danger danger! support for local free range farming will make people eat more vegetables! oh no! gmo vegetables loom in the horizon!

Secondly, if we can support local meat farmers, then what's to stop us from supporting local veggie farmers? why is one good but the other not possible? locally grown veggies are actually cheaper than grocery veggies, which is in stark contrast with locally grown meat being far more expensive than grocery store meat. Not only that, supporting local veggie farmers means indirectly supporting meat farmers because veggie farmers buy their fertilizer and manure from animal farms.

Anyway. if you think people should keep eating meat for the sake of the economy and to avoid the danger of gmo vegetables, then i don't know what to say to that other than "wow".

Last edited:
Fish Pond... I dunno but I'm not too fond of it. I get the image of fish pond as stagnant... inbred... :dunno:

No offense jiro, but you need to be educated on fish ponds. there are a number of fish ponds owners that are quite serious and they literally spend thousands of dollars on their ponds for enjoyment, etc.

I would have hard eating an animal that I raise. My dad once got a live turkey from a friend for our Thanksgiving dinner. We kept the turkey in our basement as our yard was set up for it. When it came time for dad to kill the turkey my sisters and I said we would not eat it! Dad had to bring back the turkey and buy one from a store! The turkey was like a pet to us!!

This is the picture I fear is the problem. We DON'T need to go kill and prepare meat to eat. We are so SHEILDED from the process, we won't eat meat unless its already prepped and neatly packaged in familiar cuts of meat in the store. Before we had meat sent to a slaughterhouse days, we all would kill/eat meat. Very few vegans. Nowadays we are repulsed by a single drop of blood, unable to contain vomit watching human surgeries, killing our own homegrown animals for meat. People seems to associate this with human killing when in fact its not.

Now what? Jiro makes a good point- The old circle of life is changing. that is killing own meat to eat that was eating on natural grown foods to passing away and buried/cremated. Now a new circle of life has emerged. that is HUGE artificial grown foods including meats and veggies and farmers HAVE to adapt. problem is that USA is TOO expensive way to do it as we value our lives too high. farmers cannot do it cheaply since we as consumers complain of high prices so they buy from a country that CAN produce it cheaply as human life is cheaper over there.

SO who is at fault?! is it the times changing? for thousands of years we killed and ate own meat. in the last few decades that changed. It's not even a century long yet!!! I promise you--- if things continue it can get to the point where the scales of vegans vs meat eaters will change again and continue for a LONG time again. All it will take is a large event to happen. The KEY here is the word shielded from the actual process.

And they're now saying it's having an impact on butterflies and bees.

One thing people keep forgetting is that businesses can only make money if people choose to buy their goods and services. if people don't buy GMO, they can curtail this trend. It's a threat only if we pay for it. So, we do have power as consumers to affect the food industry. Up to us to exercise it.

To help clear the air - let me throw my two cents in...

The farm I work on is NOT a battery cage farm. We are considered a high-density floor laying house farm with four houses in total with each house housing roughly 12,000 birds at it's peak. The birds run freely within the confines of the chicken house which is 40 feet wide and 500 feet long. We have nesting boxes up on the slats where hens can do their laying business as well as the floor area which the hens and roosters use as a place to take a dustbath - it runs the entire length of the house and is roughly 10ft wide by my guesstimation. ALL chickens have access to water 24/7 and they are fed once a day by an automatic feeder.

Given our style of breeder farm - eggs will have feces and blood spots on them but they are NOT sold for human consumption, but rather they are given straight to Tyson to be hatched and grown into broilers for meat at 8-10 weeks old. Feces and blood spots on eggs are actually very common, even in small backyard coops you will find the odd egg with feces on it or one with a blood spot on it. The blood spot is not from abuse, it happens when the hen strains a little too hard, therefore popping a few blood vessels when laying the egg.

A uterine prolapse is known as a 'blow-out' and yes it is very painful for then hen, but given the high density of our operation we cannot guarantee that this will never happen. I have been on the farm since January and I can recall only twice that I have seen these. Once was on a hen that was still alive and the other on a hen that was already dead. Two known blow outs for 48,000 birds - I would say that's doing pretty good. However, I am not saying that other blow-outs did not occur, just stating what I have actually seen with my own two eyes.

Also, we go in the houses three times a day to gather 'floor eggs' and check the overall well-being of the birds in each house. If I find a dead bird, I will pick it up and properly dispose of it into the deep freezer outside the chicken house. The dead birds are collected by a pet foods company that will take them away.

If I find a bird that is caught in a piece of equipment, I will remove it from it's predicament, etc.

I don't do this because it's required, I do this because it's simply the right thing to do, to treat the animals with respect.

I am NOT a supporter of animal rights, but however I am a staunch supporter of animal welfare. While our high-density floor laying farm operation isn't perfect, I still believe it is far better than those who operate caged hen operations.

If anyone has questions, feel free to shoot them out.

Yeah, a chicken needs at least 2.2 square footage to be able to fully stretch their wings - average wingspan is 30 to 32 inches. Anyone who has seen chickens run freely know they expand their wings all the time. you say each chicken house measures 40 feet by 500 feet. that's about 1.6 square footage per chicken. that does sound very high density and not much space for them to move around let alone stretch out their limbs. i am wondering if to offset this lack of space, that ramps and shelves are installed so that rather than just relying on horizontal footage, you can maximize the footage by also allowing for vertical mobility. that's a trend humane chicken farmers are starting to employ - installing vertical ramps leading up to second levels to allow for more space and more mobile ability.

A friend emailed me this a week ago. It makes me want to puke, so do not watch if you have a weak stomach. I apologize if I offend anyone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to&feature=player_embedded]Undercover Investigation at Hy-Line Hatchery - YouTube[/ame]

And they're now saying it's having an impact on butterflies and bees.

One thing people keep forgetting is that businesses can only make money if people choose to buy their goods and services. if people don't buy GMO, they can curtail this trend. It's a threat only if we pay for it. So, we do have power as consumers to affect the food industry. Up to us to exercise it.

That is one of the reasons I refuse to buy anything with soybeans in them. Our city actually protested GMO growth on county lands.

Boulder councilman decries GMOs on land owned with county - Boulder Daily Camera

We are actively exercising it.

Today I was riding down the road and saw Nutech, Betaseed, Dekalb, Pioneer, and Garst signs showing their crop off......... That was just one road and theres hundreds of them here.

The reason the chicks are handled in such a way is because they aren't referred to as chicks, they are referred to as 'product'.

If you think this is rough - you should go check out the back dock at your local poultry slaughter house.

I don't think killing the males is standard in the industry - they need the males in order to have fertilized eggs to have more chickens. As for the grinding machine - again I don't think that is standard, but I can ask around to be sure. I live in a major poultry producing area so this hatchery, chicken houses, slaughter, and processing stuff is *almost* second nature to me.

meat eater here I have salads now and then but nothing beats a good hamburger yum yum

I am a semi-vegetarian if you already know about me. Sorry if I repeated it before somewhere in my post. I don't eat all animals except fish due Omega-3. I was told that Omega-6 is very bad. I don't remember the story about the Omega-6.

It is very hard for me how people eat their meat without seeing what is really happening at the slaughter farm. I think that Dixie is very brave to deal with it. I have no way to deal with the slaughters. It would be great if the slaughterers are killed for good. Most percent of welfare people and very low uneducated employees work at the slaughter factories. I believe that Dixie is pretty smart to know what is going on. It is very common that the factories always lay off the employees in every few years in order to deep more profit. I bet that Dixie is aware of that from her old jobs. How can we help them like Dixie to find a better job without working at the factory. I want all of the slaughter factories to be reduced as possible in our country. I am not sure if she is getting a job as USAD - that is impressive job.

I cannot understand why we as veggies and vegans are still alive and eat our food style. Some people said that it is impossible to live... Many vegetarians and vegans are doing fine for many years. How can be so difference from the meat eaters?

Back