MCI's relay business will no longer be an "American company"

Dennis S.

Reaction score
MCI has sold or is planning to sell their relay business to off-shore management:

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/10349411p-11154824c.html

http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2005/apr/22bpo.htm

The company in question is vCustomer, an India-based company. Could this mean that in the near future, all your IP-RELAY calls will be processed by English speaking Indians (the Asian kind, not the North American kind)?

Will they have accent issues? Will they understand deaf culture? Or will this be completely moot, and everything will stay the same, just "under new management!"?

They might have off-shore management, but still retain USA employees? If so, I am sure the relay centers stay on US soil.

It doesn't make any sense from a cost standpoint to continue to have US based call centers (or at least have as many) if they can save money by outsourcing to India.

They may not outsource the CA call center due to contract obligations, but the article says MCI has 8 centers in the US. I know that MCI only has 3 relay contracts (CA, AZ, and TN). I have no idea where the other centers are, so that means that unless they're stuck where they are due to contracts, then vCustomer can take them off shore and save a lot of money while still receiving the NECA reimbursement rate of internet relay == $$$ PROFIT while possibly giving lower quality operators that don't even speak clear english or understand deaf culture.

If that's the case, would anyone still use IP-RELAY?

DDTP picked a Canadian company as one of the contractors of the California Relay Service.

This starts a trend when there's too many service providers in a given market that some companies have to either spin off or outsource their service offerings in order to stay competitive.

Richard

Richard -- but the Canadian company doesn't enjoy the kind of competitive advantage that a company from India would enjoy. In fact, because of the exchange rates, I would expect them to be LESS competitive.

I think it is kind of a good idea to ship our job oversea...
because businesses will expand....

Indians might have MCI relay service for their Indian deaf children there.

;)

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I think it is kind of a good idea to ship our job oversea...
because businesses will expand....

Indians might have MCI relay service for their Indian deaf children there.

;)

Swell, let MCI go elsewhere since I dont like MCI since Day 1 when MCI was first introduced in California as first national mutlivendor provider.

Dennis said:
It doesn't make any sense from a cost standpoint to continue to have US based call centers (or at least have as many) if they can save money by outsourcing to India.

They may not outsource the CA call center due to contract obligations, but the article says MCI has 8 centers in the US. I know that MCI only has 3 relay contracts (CA, AZ, and TN). I have no idea where the other centers are, so that means that unless they're stuck where they are due to contracts, then vCustomer can take them off shore and save a lot of money while still receiving the NECA reimbursement rate of internet relay == $$$ PROFIT while possibly giving lower quality operators that don't even speak clear english or understand deaf culture.

If that's the case, would anyone still use IP-RELAY?

my friend who work for mci explained this to me. mci has 4 state contracts CA, AZ, WI, and TN. the other 4 centers are directory servce the indian company bought those too

Cut and paste this phrase everytime you log into IP-Relay!

kya aap angrezi samajhte hain? GA
(Do you speak English? GA)

If this becomes a trend, I can't wait for VRS Interpreting jobs to go overseas too! :pissed:

Steve

I think its too early to tell whether jobs may or may not go overseas. Yes, vCustomer is a business that gets paid to outsource jobs, but on the other hand, vCustomer has stated they want to expand on Relay and improve their US relations. Also, don't forget state contracts. Most call centers process both IP and state relay calls from the same center so its not likely, if outsourcing is going to happen, that its going to happen right away.

Sidekicker said:
my friend who work for mci explained this to me. mci has 4 state contracts CA, AZ, WI, and TN. the other 4 centers are directory servce the indian company bought those too

Just to nitpick, MCI only has state contracts with CA, TN, and AZ. Wisconsin is run by another relay company.

MCI has a call center in the Phillipines already. None of the other relay providers except Nordia have non-american centers serving U.S. relay. I know Sprint has been bragging about their New Zealand center is only for New Zealand Relay, the first international relay run by an American company.

cental34 said:
Sorenson's requirements for VRS interpreters is at least 5 years interpretting experience.

I doubt that's true. They have hired people straight out of college if they get a high enough interpreter certification level. It's not about the years of experience, they aren't being very discriminate in their hiring policies if they continue to parrot "there's an interpreter shortage."

I got that off of Sorenson's site. You are correct though, that doesn't necessarily mean that all terps will have at least 5 years. But as far as the question of outsourcing goes. I doubt there are that many Indians who are able to interpret ASL. Heck, I can barely understand their English when I call to an outsourced customer service center.

Some of them have convinced me that they're British, though.

That is what I've read -- call centers in India are reacting to customers who complain about indian accents and have been training them to speak in american accents or english accents, take on "American" names like Keith and Jane when their real names are Achmed Njobikonar or whatever. Still, they work for much cheaper than Americans will (Indians: $1.00 per hour vs American $10.00 per hour) and that means there is 10x as much profit to outsource.

Dennis said:
Just to nitpick, MCI only has state contracts with CA, TN, and AZ. Wisconsin is run by another relay company.

MCI has a call center in the Phillipines already. None of the other relay providers except Nordia have non-american centers serving U.S. relay. I know Sprint has been bragging about their New Zealand center is only for New Zealand Relay, the first international relay run by an American company.

i guess maybe another company does wisconsin's state relay but i know mci has a center in madison, wi that handles ip-relay calls. there's also an mci center in the phillipines but i don't think they do ip-relay they may just do relay inside of the phillipines.

If the Phillipines have a relay service for their own country, they haven't told anyone in the world yet. Big secret, this relay service, hmm?

Contrast that to New Zealand Relay (http://www.nzrelay.com, provided by Sprint)

or

Australia Relay (http://www.aceinfo.net.au/Services/NRS/, provided by Australian Communication Exchange)

or

United Kingdom Relay (http://www.rnid.org.uk/howwehelp/our_services/typetalk/, provided by RNID)

or

Canada Relay Service (7 different providers overseen by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, http://www.crtc.gc.ca)

But, no mention of Phillipine Relay Service anywhere. That leads me to believe it is solely for internet relay calls.

Dennis said:
That is what I've read -- call centers in India are reacting to customers who complain about indian accents and have been training them to speak in american accents or english accents, take on "American" names like Keith and Jane when their real names are Achmed Njobikonar or whatever. Still, they work for much cheaper than Americans will (Indians: $1.00 per hour vs American $10.00 per hour) and that means there is 10x as much profit to outsource.

This is true. I remember seeing a tv special on outsourced customer service jobs. They trained them to speak more American accents, told them to take "American" names. With that money they save, you also have to factor in that this might cost them some people's business.

When it comes to the possibility of outsourcing relay, I don't think it would be a successful venture. At my call center, rumors are rampant. There are rumors that Verizon has bought MCI's CA, AZ, and WI call centers. That vCustomer is going to lose the TN state contract. That there is a Sprint call center opening up just across the Mississippi border, and that Sprint wants in on the TN relay contract. Not quite sure that I believe any of it. But there are plenty of nervous RO's out there.

cental34 said:
That vCustomer is going to lose the TN state contract. That there is a Sprint call center opening up just across the Mississippi border, and that Sprint wants in on the TN relay contract. Not quite sure that I believe any of it. But there are plenty of nervous RO's out there.
Is there some info on this available at TRA's website? I hope AT&T will get the Tennessee Relay contact back in their hands.

Sadly, no. Just rumors that are flying around. Brian, what you do think of Sprint's TRS service in Georgia?

Just found this article in the vCustomer website. Not quite sure what to make of it.

vCustomer Names Wesley T. O’Brien as President and Chief Operating Officer
O’Brien to Oversee Global Operations of U.S. - Based Outsourcing Services Provider

Kirkland, Washington, USA – May 02, 2005

vCustomer Corporation, a global leader in Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and Customer Relations Management (CRM), announced today that it has named Wesley T. O’Brien to the newly created position of President and Chief Operating Officer. Mr. O’Brien, 49, brings to vCustomer a wealth of experience running corporate operations and building successful businesses in the global services industry. He will oversee all of vCustomer’s operations worldwide and report directly to Sanjay Kumar, vCustomer’s Founder and Chief Executive Officer.

"Wesley is a seasoned operating executive and he is a significant addition to our leadership team,” said Mr. Kumar. “We have accomplished a lot at vCustomer since our founding in 1999, as evidenced by our proven ability to deliver value to our clients around the world through high-quality and cost effective outsourcing services. Our challenge now is to expand our operational excellence across our U.S., Indian and Philippine resources to best address customer needs. Wesley’s operating expertise and talent will enable us to do this and drive our business forward.”

Prior to joining vCustomer, Mr. O’Brien held executive management positions at successful global services companies focused on providing CRM and telecommunications services. He most recently served as President of CPR Consulting, a firm that specializes in helping companies identify and implement operational excellence throughout their organizations. Previously, he was President and Chief Operating Officer of Precision Response Corporation, a leading provider of outsourced CRM and integrated technology services that was publicly traded until USA Interactive acquired it in 2000. Before that, he was President and Chief Executive Officer of Trescom International, a long distance company with phone services and operations worldwide that Mr. O’Brien led through an initial public offering in 1996.

Mr. O’Brien also served in a variety of executive capacities at MCI, Inc. for 12 years. He began his career at Price Waterhouse. A Certified Public Accountant in New York State, Mr. O’Brien holds a degree in Accounting from the State University of New York at Binghamton.

“vCustomer is one of the fastest growing private companies in the U.S. and I am excited to have the opportunity to help the company enhance its operations and enter the next stage of its development,” said Mr. O’Brien. “vCustomer has significantly expanded its BPO and CRM capabilities and is now uniquely positioned to offer its clients localized services via its global network of resources. I look forward to working with my new colleagues to ensure our continued growth and that of our clients worldwide.”

About vCustomer Corporation

vCustomer provides outsourced Business Processing, Call Center, Directory Assistance and Technology Support services from facilities in the U.S., the Philippines and India. vCustomer combines its global outsourcing portfolio with technological innovation and ISO certified operational excellence to deliver custom solutions to Fortune 1000 companies. The end result is lower costs for its clients and more value for the end customer. To learn more about outsourcing and why Inc Magazine rated vCustomer the fastest growing provider of business services in America, visit www.vcustomer.com.

Back