Man Marries Dead Girlfriend

It's better than the Indian custom of throwing the wife on the funeral pyre! :P

Speechless. It is sad.

"Chadil wrote matter-of-factly online -- and would later give interviews in the same vein -- explaining that the motivation for this display was guilt, pure and simple: He felt he hadn't done enough for his girlfriend of 10 years while she was alive. Before her sudden death in a road accident, she had suggested that he marry her. But he had demurred, putting the idea on hold.
The "wedding" was his attempt to right a wrong, however belated the gesture might have been"

I think it's incredibly sad, this is a man filled with regret, trying to cope with it grief and guilt the best way he can.

I don't know what to think...

He took her for granted when she was alive.

dunno, he probably were going to propose (for real) but perhaps guilt from too much focus on study, (but then his study might have been serious like he cant afford distraction and she'd probably did understood and willing to wait, but never had a chance so because of an unexpected. now or never decided to do marry anyway. To me, its not revolting, i think its a highest honour, and yes certainly better than the Indian wife-throwing-into-the-fire-and-watch-her skull-cracks-open-as-a-release-of-her-spirit-to-go-with-him

but then again if this was in my hometown, id be very wary i mean id probably think he's nuts....i suppose it like'not in my backyard' people allowed to think different out there, but not here...news materials are funny like that sometimes

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Engaged for 10 years. That'll teach him not to wait. He said that he wanted to focus in studies but you can get a doctorate in about 7 years. Something is off here besides the weird funeral ritual.

My cynical guess: she had some financial assets that he now wants to claim as her widowed husband.

It seems very, very strange, and creepy.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I don't think that marrying a dead person is a legal marriage. This guy would be laughed out of court.

My cynical guess: she had some financial assets that he now wants to claim as her widowed husband.

It might work differently, not sure how the Thailand's marriage system works.

Also, they're asians, they may have different perspectives than westernized people (or Asian americans for that matter) as well.
This is one of those developing second-rate world countries like India.

In a sense, I think he is honoring her, showing his love and grief. This is symbolic. I think it's a beautiful gesture.

Back