Let's see if you remember this CPU...

JMH

Reaction score
v9rz.jpg

Wow, it has been so long time since I saw that. I believe I upgraded from this to Pentium 233.

I got you beat, my family's first computer was a Packard Bell with a 486 processor and Windows 3.1!

My family's first computer was a 4.77Mhz XT 'Clone' as they called them in those days. You could hit Ctrl-Alt-+ to turn the 'turbo' on.

Now, Cyrix, that takes me back. My dad replaced our 286 with a 486 'DLC' 33Mhz, which was a Cyrix clone of the proper Intel 486DX... except it didn't have the math co-processor. It was greatly inferior to the proper Intel when it came to demanding prog... oh, okay, fine, GAMES. Heh.

My family's first computer was a 4.77Mhz XT 'Clone' as they called them in those days. You could hit Ctrl-Alt-+ to turn the 'turbo' on.

Now, Cyrix, that takes me back. My dad replaced our 286 with a 486 'DLC' 33Mhz, which was a Cyrix clone of the proper Intel 486DX... except it didn't have the math co-processor. It was greatly inferior to the proper Intel when it came to demanding prog... oh, okay, fine, GAMES. Heh.

Wasn't the turbo somthing you turned off so older games would play right? I seem to remember old games would play really fast with the turbo on because cpu got so much faster.

I got you beat, my family's first computer was a Packard Bell with a 486 processor and Windows 3.1!

Actually, my first PC was Commodore 64. I had this bulky 5 1/2 floppy disk drive and played several games. It was during my high school.

My second PC was Phoenix brand with 386 with DOS and Windows 3 (not 3.1). After that, I started to customize my own PC. This Cyrix processor was my second customized PC (upgraded from 486). And then goes on.

I was in closet hunt for paintball equipment and I was surprised to see this old processor. lol

Umm. When I was kid who touch first time computer. It was old Mac. I don't remmy what CPU model name.. I learned how to create my first paint program then I grew up to be master computer artist.

Old+Mac.jpg

Wasn't the turbo somthing you turned off so older games would play right? I seem to remember old games would play really fast with the turbo on because cpu got so much faster.

That's correct. Some programmers wrote so that processor speed wouldn't affect the speed the game ran it (I think Alley Cat is one, it worked fine on a PII-400!) but many didn't think that far ahead. Our 286 could run at 8 or 12 Mhz, it was sometimes fine to push the button mid-game to watch everything slow down a bit.

Inspired by this thread I was reading up on stuff and came across this, the Professional Graphics Controller introduced in 1984 by IBM. It was really ahead of its time, able to do more than some early VGA cards could, like 640x480 and more than 256 colours. Of course, it also cost almost $5,000!

I used to have some older Cyrix chips. Had a Cyrix 386 and 486.
My first PC was on an Intel 286... Just ran commander keen and some other old stuff on it until it was time to upgrade to 486 world.

My first computer was Motorola 68K in 1993 and it was Macintosh Performa.
Macintosh_LC.jpg

That was one year away from Apple transition to PowerPC.

First computer, a packard bell. LOL did want to get MAC but too pricey. That time it was Lisa if you all remember.

Cyrix was one of few CPU manufacturers went out of business from PC market. I remember that, LOL

I've got my Atari 400 stashed away. I learned BASIC and LOGO on it, as well as Donkey Kong, Centipede, and Pac-Man. I had the tape drive for it. In '87 I got an IBM PS/2 with the 8086 processor and added the Cyrix 8087 math coprocessor. Things really seemed to pick up after that one; I think the next summer 80386 was in PC's as well as more RAM.

First computer, a packard bell. LOL did want to get MAC but too pricey. That time it was Lisa if you all remember.

Cyrix was one of few CPU manufacturers went out of business from PC market. I remember that, LOL

At that time, Cyrix was only CPU that does not have Intel code written in and it's faster processor than Intel. But the lawsuit by Intel basically killed Cyrix business (and that Intel released Pentium I).

The first computer system that I owned:

Old Computers - rare, vintage, and obsolete computers

Apple IIGSIntroduced: September 1986 Discontinued: December 1992
Price: US $999 without monitor
US $1498 with RGB monitor
CPU: WDC 65C816 @ 1.0 or 2.8MHz
RAM: 256K, 8Meg max
Display: text: 80 X 24 maximum
graphics: 640 X 200, 16 colors max
Ports: 2 serial, ADB (Apple Desktop Bus)
External floppy port, joystick port
RGB and composite video output
Expansion: 7 internal slots
Storage: External 800K 3.5-inch disk drive

I used computers before that but didn't own one. Even this one I bought used. They were ridiculously expensive!

It was mostly a word processor with simple games and graphics. Obviously no internet capability. :lol:

Attachments

• appleiigs.jpg
    appleiigs.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2
(I did have devices that were technically computers prior to the Apple II but no one here would think so.) :lol:

I had one from Radio Shack that I programed on a cassette tape and hooked up to the TV for a monitor. (Bought used.)

When I was about 13, I built a "computer" in a shoe box with parts from Radio Shack (that was 1964). No monitor; just off and on lights. That would be a real hoot now. :rofl:

(I believe I posted a picture of that a long time ago in another thread.)

Back