Let's see if you remember this CPU...

The first computer system that I owned:

Old Computers - rare, vintage, and obsolete computers

Apple IIGS
I used computers before that but didn't own one. Even this one I bought used. They were ridiculously expensive!

It was mostly a word processor with simple games and graphics. Obviously no internet capability. :lol:

They were great machines, IIGSeseses. I mostly used them at school but they seemed to be light years ahead of the DOS based machines of the time in every single respect. Desktop publishing, paint programs, games, all were much more impressive.

No, the opposite is true. Cyrix did won the lawsuit so that Intel can not use X86 since x86 is cyrix's trademark. Intel accepted the defeat, and decided to rename from x86 to Pentium to make it sound even better than x86. Cyrix eventually went out of business.

At that time, Cyrix was only CPU that does not have Intel code written in and it's faster processor than Intel. But the lawsuit by Intel basically killed Cyrix business (and that Intel released Pentium I).

(I did have devices that were technically computers prior to the Apple II but no one here would think so.) :lol:

I had one from Radio Shack that I programed on a cassette tape and hooked up to the TV for a monitor. (Bought used.)

When I was about 13, I built a "computer" in a shoe box with parts from Radio Shack (that was 1964). No monitor; just off and on lights. That would be a real hoot now. :rofl:

(I believe I posted a picture of that a long time ago in another thread.)

that would have taught you electronics, and thats would should be taught in schools NOW...so kids really know what the machinations of computer is
\but sadly its all about 'colour identification' 'copy-pasting skills', reading (but not very effective)...just taskes, not real MATHS i mean we had really excellent maths textbookx in 1980s, so why chuck it? its seemed like they didnt want everyone to to get brainy,,,but look at asians countrie, they teach teach, study study like mad, and you know what happens? they're the one MAKING computers because they KNOW, and we DON'T !

oh to get back ON track
theres a cpu i used to like
AMD T-bird, and the early 1400..because overclocking was so easy, just a matter of pencil lead trick...

then back OFF-track lol...
then bam!.sadly AMD didnt like losing $$ and started to force to close the unlocked multipliers and then things got harder ... BUYING an unlocked cpu was a real detective work...and then overclocking just got more difficult...but same time gamers/overclockers learn even more about the motherboards..not just CPU or rams....shame everyone got lazy thanks to the 'lazy culture' of the west

Sad BUT true! USA can't blame on China, but themselves.

that would have taught you electronics, and thats would should be taught in schools NOW...so kids really know what the machinations of computer is
\but sadly its all about 'colour identification' 'copy-pasting skills', reading (but not very effective)...just taskes, not real MATHS i mean we had really excellent maths textbookx in 1980s, so why chuck it? its seemed like they didnt want everyone to to get brainy,,,but look at asians countrie, they teach teach, study study like mad, and you know what happens? they're the one MAKING computers because they KNOW, and we DON'T !

then back OFF-track lol...
then bam!.sadly AMD didnt like losing $$ and started to force to close the unlocked multipliers and then things got harder ... BUYING an unlocked cpu was a real detective work...and then overclocking just got more difficult...but same time gamers/overclockers learn even more about the motherboards..not just CPU or rams....shame everyone got lazy thanks to the 'lazy culture' of the west

(I did have devices that were technically computers prior to the Apple II but no one here would think so.) :lol:

I had one from Radio Shack that I programed on a cassette tape and hooked up to the TV for a monitor. (Bought used.)

When I was about 13, I built a "computer" in a shoe box with parts from Radio Shack (that was 1964). No monitor; just off and on lights. That would be a real hoot now. :rofl:

(I believe I posted a picture of that a long time ago in another thread.)

Picture please? Which thread?

I started out as a kid in the 80's with a Commodore C16/+4, then moved on to an Atari 65XE (musta had a thing for faintly crap machines that you couldn't get games for for love nor money!)
Moved onto a Sega Megadrive and a Commodore Amiga (Remember Workbench? :) )
Fast forward into my 20's in the 90's and I had a 486SX which lasted me for years. Had it rebuilt into a Pentium 133mhz in the mid-nineties and kept that with constant upgrading until about 2005 ( TiE Fighter, Doom and CivII ruled my world then!) then cannibalized that and got the local IT shop to build me a new machine - can't remember the spec but it was pretty much all "new" 2nd hand components.
That one I kept until I emigrated in 2008 and I sold it to my mate over in England.
I now have a laptop, but I do miss the old thrill of upgrading my machines!

I'm searching.

There were a couple of times when AD had a crash and burn, and entire sections of posts were wiped out. It might have been a victim of that. I'll try to dig out the original photo and rescan and post. It might take a while. I have bins and bins of family photos. :eek3:

Found it!

The dry cell battery and wiring were inside the box. I would touch one wire to the question, and one to the answer (multiple choices). If the correct answer was selected, the light at the top came on. I made interchangeable question and answer sheets that could be slipped onto the lid. Obviously, very limited in scope but I wanted to test out the process. It wasn't a school project; just something I did for fun.

On the back of the picture, my mom wrote the date (1964) and also mentioned that my younger brother made a helicopter from a ruler, small motor from a toy car, and some wire. (It was a picture sent to my dad to keep him up with our doings.)

I was 13 then and my brother was 10 1/2.

:lol:

Attachments

• geekgirl.jpg
    geekgirl.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
Found it!

The dry cell battery and wiring were inside the box. I would touch one wire to the question, and one to the answer (multiple choices). If the correct answer was selected, the light at the top came on. I made interchangeable question and answer sheets that could be slipped onto the lid. Obviously, very limited in scope but I wanted to test out the process. It wasn't a school project; just something I did for fun.

On the back of the picture, my mom wrote the date (1964) and also mentioned that my younger brother made a helicopter from a ruler, small motor from a toy car, and some wire. (It was a picture sent to my dad to keep him up with our doings.)

cool!

and in bold, that's the sort of things kids DON'T do now...no wonder ideas are running out...real insight to mechanical, understanding, gone out the window...we're running out of Macgyvers

cool!

and in bold, that's the sort of things kids DON'T do now...no wonder ideas are running out...real insight to mechanical, understanding, gone out the window...we're running out of Macgyvers
My cousins from my dad's side were also mechanically inclined. One made go carts out of mower engines, and the other made RC aircraft from scratch.

My grandsons make their own computers, and all sorts of Lego robots and critters. My younger grandson, still in high school, has a paid engineering internship at an engineering firm. He and the boss created a new saw tooling, then the boss said, "You're in charge of the project; I'm taking a 6-week vacation."

My dad was an electrical engineer who worked for Bell Labs, the Navy and NASA. His hobby was working on old cars. Tinkering with stuff was a normal thing in our family.

It also taught me to be organized on verge of being anal. :lol:

Seriously, I get what you mean. I think the times have changed. I grew up in the 50's and 60's, and we were all pumped about space exploration, new technology, and the feeling that we could accomplish anything if we tried. Maybe we were naive but it was energizing.

Found it!

'

Pretty cool!

I think I built the DIY electric board when I was around 8 years old. Later, I built DIY electric board with soldering when I was around 11 years old. My father teach me since he is electrical engineer. I want to learned how to use oscilloscope and my father can't explain to me since he don't know how to sign and too complex to write down on the paper. So later I finally learned how to use oscilloscope from college for auto technician.

Same idea like that.
pRS1-11814084w345.jpg

Later, I bulit a first PC computer and installed Windows 95 by myself when I was around 14 years old.

Back