Is Drinking Alcohol A Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, from my own perspective, any alcohol is never okay, ever. This goes all the way down to buying alcohol free vanilla for baking, ect. Most practising Muslims I know are also equally strict about avoiding it.

From a Christian perspective, though, the Bible tells Christians that your body is a temple- one in which was purchased at great cost, and as such, it deserves nothing short of honor and respect. Alcohol offers no benefits that cannot be found in other foods, and poses health / mental state risks- that's not respecting your body.

Drinking has just become a -socially acceptable- way to abuse your body. What if someone said they use meth just once in a while? Or if someone said that they only cut themselves on occassion?

Doing something harmful -less often- doesn't negate the fact that you're harming yourself.

I don't see how drinking wine or beer or other thing drink is a sin. I am sure jesus drank some wine but I wouldn't call it a sin. what brough this up? curious.

Beer and weed are gifts from God. It is stupid if we allow these gifts to be wasted.

Drinking itself is not problem but the problems are being caused by person's behavior.
:werd:

It's like the issue with guns.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I drink beer. Nothing wrong with that. If I drink irresponsibly and get in a car accident, then that's wrong. So, whose fault is it... my fault or the beer's fault?

If I drink irresponsibly and get in a car accident, then that's wrong. So, whose fault is it... my fault or the beer's fault?

Well, if a person behind the bar serves you alcohol even though they know you already had too much, then it would be their fault. Afterall, you shouldn't blame yourself, and being under the influence of alcohol can affect your judgment :)

Well, if a person behind the bar serves you alcohol even though they know you already had too much, then it would be their fault. Afterall, you shouldn't blame yourself, and being under the influence of alcohol can affect your judgment :)
But, by getting alcohol as a minor... I am being irresponsible.

What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?

Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

Answer: Scripture contains many warnings regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4,7,14; 1 Samuel 1:15; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4,6; Isaiah 5:11,22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12; Micah 2:11; Luke 1:15). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs “drink wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:11 encourages “yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or might encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation efforts, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but necessarily not to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not necessarily forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is, rather, drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful or addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the Biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to over-consumption of alcohol, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others – it is usually best for a Christian to abstain entirely from drinking alcohol.

What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?

It says as long as you drink moderation is okay.

I don't see how drinking wine or beer or other thing drink is a sin. I am sure jesus drank some wine but I wouldn't call it a sin. what brough this up? curious.

Heat debated at several threads in the past over alcohol. They made negative posts over alcohol and think it leads addictive which is not true. It's person itself who abuse the alcohol, not alchol itself. Some religions beleivers do not beleive that Jesus drank an alcohol but fruit. They do not see that Jesus drank an alcohol because Jesus is not sin.

I do not think, it is sinner. I enjoy to drink the wine with a dinner with friends and family.

Jesus Christ drank wine..

Wine isn't sin..

Different story other kind of booze.. I do not know discuss about this one..
I do not want debate about it here..
Just throw simple one thingy!
au revoiur!

If u drink too much alcohol then u committed sin against God and your own body but if u drink it once awhile and none of it will harm u.

Why would drinking wine be a sin? One glass of wine a day is supposed to be good for your heart. I don't see how God will be upset with you drinking a glass of wine. It's just drinking it in excess, then you get out of control and commit sin such as violence etc.

Taking things in excess damages your body, and God would not be happy with this.

And having the occassional toke, I don't see why not. It does not damage your body. (Before you respond to this, check your facts. The world has been lied to by the media and government)

Having things in moderation, as long as it does not harm your body, God should not complain, and neither should you, party poopers! Life is short, grab a beer and light up.

Well, a pastor's DR told him to drink the wine because of his stomach problem. His friends are pastors of local churches in the USA. They told him no exuse to drink the wine because of his DR. This pastor resigned at his church some years ago.

Question: "What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol / wine? Is it a sin for a Christian to drink alcohol / wine?"

Answer: Scripture contains many warnings regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4,7,14; 1 Samuel 1:15; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4,6; Isaiah 5:11,22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12; Micah 2:11; Luke 1:15). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs “drink wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:11 encourages “yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or might encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation efforts, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but necessarily not to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not necessarily forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is, rather, drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful or addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are sin. However, due to the Biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to over-consumption of alcohol, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others – it is usually best for a Christian to abstain entirely from drinking alcohol.

The bible actually say to drink moderately, if you are drinking something that have alcohol inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back