Interpreter dress code

I've had several intrepretors for my doctor appts. that wore flip-flops, a tank top and bermuda shorts. These were young girls....as for the older intrepretors, most have worn slacks or dresess....seems there is no dress code where I live for intrepretors.
Wow! Unless it was a medical emergency there's no reason for them to dress so unprofessionally. There are times, such as sporting events or field trips, that a terp can dress casually but doctor appointments are NOT those times.

I've had several intrepretors for my doctor appts. that wore flip-flops, a tank top and bermuda shorts. These were young girls....as for the older intrepretors, most have worn slacks or dresess....seems there is no dress code where I live for intrepretors.

In the DC area , that would NOT be acceptable. I have never seen an interpreter wear these kinds of clothes.

Well, don't feel it's because of the Florida weather...guessing it's just the agency....I've never said anything to them about it...but I just might "ask" the next time..and I do have a Doctor's appt. next week.....

Well, don't feel it's because of the Florida weather...guessing it's just the agency....I've never said anything to them about it...but I just might "ask" the next time..and I do have a Doctor's appt. next week.....

In AZ, I have seen terps wear t-shirts and blue jeans while on the job. Maybe in DC, the expectations are very high for dressing professionally. God forbid should a terp dress down on a job in this area. They will never hear the end of it in the Deaf community.

Interesting. Metalangel and I had a course this semester called "Becoming an Ally", taught by an interpreter, and one of the points she emphasized with us was dressing appropriately. As a matter of fact, it was part of our presentation mark. She also recounted a couple of occasions where she had turned up without confirming the kind of assignment ahead of time, and felt she hadn't dressed appropriately for the situation.
For the Interpreting students at our college, particularly the final year ones, they are expected to dress professionally every day. Preparation for the real world, I suppose.

One should always dress professionally when providing a service. Even in relaxed settings you should always dress, business casual....

Laura

Would anyone have a problem with a terp wearing bright shoes? As in a dark outfit except for shoes, or would that be distracting? :hmm:

Would anyone have a problem with a terp wearing bright shoes? As in a dark outfit except for shoes, or would that be distracting? :hmm:

They won't be looking at your feet, and if they do and the shoes are pretty, who cares? :D

Laura

Forgot about this thread,,but last week I did ask my intrepretor about the "dress code" and mentioned that someone had really "dressed-down" for a doctor's appt. I had awhile back....

She was some what embarrassed, and looked at her own clothes...I told her..."Oh no, you're dressed just fine!...I was just inquiring if the interpretors did have a certain dress code".....

She noted that a few days before, all the interpretors had gotton a notice from the agency about it...and certain rules needed to apply...she asked me "who" that interpretor was and I declined to name her....

Guessing the dress code "down South" might get a little better.....:hmm:

I would not mind if an interpreter wore a t shirt with a picture or 2 of car with turbocharged engine.

Back