Interpreter dress code

rjr2006: Where did you go to high school at? I went to wethersfield high school. I was in the crec program. I had an interpreter in college. she was very nice. I liked her.
Leah

Reba said:
Not like a whole lecture or appointment. Sometimes the chemicals are so strong I really could use a respirator instead of just a mask, but that is not possible.

What kind of mask did you wear?

For airbrushing classes, I had to wear a Twin Filter Half Mask. It costs around 40 bucks (student price). Yes, it's a respirator. You shouldn't had went into these places without wearing one. If the fumes are strong, it means you should wear a respirator. Just my honest opinion.

It's crazy that they didn't have you wearing one! As an interpreter, you are entitled to receive one at their expenses. At least that's what would happen if you work in Ontario.

:shock: I didn't realized that you have had to required to wear the smock and mask during terp at school. I only knew terps wear mask and gloves during labor/birth at the hospitals.

I always thought every terps wear casual clothes like us do. Sometimes I have seen some terps wear medium to dark blue solid shirts (or blouses/sweaters) someplace. For example, she wore blue shirt that day and then later in few weeks or so, I met her again wore the same color shirt.

Some small companies couldn't afford to pay for terp to be present with them for any meeting, interview, etc. Always large companies usually do pay them.

reba thanks for sharing the interp info the link u shared i printed as this was good for my studies if u got any more interp related infos and the likes please share with us here so i can continue to print and read as part of my CDI testing studies the more infos i have the better chances i can on passing :)

Banjo said:
What kind of mask did you wear?

For airbrushing classes, I had to wear a Twin Filter Half Mask. It costs around 40 bucks (student price). Yes, it's a respirator. You shouldn't had went into these places without wearing one. If the fumes are strong, it means you should wear a respirator. Just my honest opinion.

It's crazy that they didn't have you wearing one! As an interpreter, you are entitled to receive one at their expenses. At least that's what would happen if you work in Ontario.
I use the same "equipment" as the students (they complain about the fumes, too). The classroom doesn't have adequate ventilation. Sometimes it is worse for me than the students because I am facing "downwind", and the students face "upwind". I hope the situation will be better next semester. :)

Safari said:
:shock: I didn't realized that you have had to required to wear the smock and mask during terp at school. I only knew terps wear mask and gloves during labor/birth at the hospitals.
It depends on the situation and the environment.

During this past year I have worn dark suits (for church), blouse and slacks (for classroom lectures), skirt and blouse (for business meeting), smock and safety gear (for lab classes), and casual shirt and khakis (for tour boat cruise). I interpret in schools, church, hospitals, state parks, and various work places. So you see, one outfit is not right for every place.

my personal interpreter dress code

As a church interpreter, my dress code is all black, black long sleeve dress shirt, black slacks, and black dress shoes. When I minister in song in sign language as a special for the church, I will wear white cotton gloves so my hands can be seen:lol:

I think the gloves are a bit much; too much like a mime or minstrel performer.

What is your natural skin tone?

As a church interpreter, my dress code is all black, black long sleeve dress shirt, black slacks, and black dress shoes. When I minister in song in sign language as a special for the church, I will wear white cotton gloves so my hands can be seen:lol:

I wouldn't recommend the white gloves

I suppose the exception to that would be if the dress code is all black and you have dark skin - however then, I'd honestly recommend wearing a white top, black pants etc and not wearing gloves.

Gloves are distracting - and can actaully be difficult to distinguish some hand-shapes from a distance (m, n, t, s, e).

I would suggest that the dress code be altered to state that dress code is "Black and white" and state that individuals should wear a top which contrasts their skin tone.

This is a much better idea than using gloves.

sinning hands

If it is just in your church and the deaf in your church don't object to it then by all means use it. Gloves could be considered "artistic" when doing songs. Deaf theater has used gloves before.

best uniform is the birthday suit, sure would make watching the terp all the more fun LOL

I am not really too much worried about what the terps will wear. But I do prefer if there are choice is dark clothes on pale skin and pale clothes on dark skin, makes it easier and less tiring on eyes esp when I was at uni. My uni lecture rooms don't have windows and I am at uni full day at least 2 days a week 9/10am to 5/6pm, I would like it be easy on eyes to see the signs esp in later on the day.

Casual place, events, workshops, etc terps can wear colours clothes.

Obviously professionalism is a must, but at the same time you have to fit in with your surroundings. If you walk into an elementary school wearing a business suit, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. On the flip side, if you walk into a business meeting wearing a t-shirt and khaki's, no one will take you seriously.

It's all about the situation and balancing what you wear between professional and casual.

I haven't read through all of the comments, yet, so this may have already been brought up... I'm curious what the general opinion is of having to look at an interpreter that the consumer finds to be attractive. I have, on 2 occasions, been distracted by just the level of attractiveness of an interpreter that was present.

I haven't read through all of the comments, yet, so this may have already been brought up... I'm curious what the general opinion is of having to look at an interpreter that the consumer finds to be attractive. I have, on 2 occasions, been distracted by just the level of attractiveness of an interpreter that was present.
I guess you would handle it the same way as having a lecturer, doctor, lawyer, instructor, or any kind of presenter who is attractive.

Why would this be an issue for interpreters? You respond the same way you would with any working professional. Attractive or not, be respectful and stay focused on what they're saying or doing...

Laura

I have known interperters who say they get people staring at them, especially the female interperters. They get hit on a lot too. Part of the reason they need a professional dress and attitude. One way they fend off horny guys is to interpert what the guy is saying, they tend to get embarassed about that.

I've had several intrepretors for my doctor appts. that wore flip-flops, a tank top and bermuda shorts. These were young girls....as for the older intrepretors, most have worn slacks or dresess....seems there is no dress code where I live for intrepretors.

Back