I need your help

Lillys dad

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some help here. Politics and personal beliefs aside here, as some know I am a cop. I am a sxhool resource officer in a jr. high school that has a "special ed" program. Today is the first day back from xmas braek, and they got a new kid. The faculty was not properly informed of a new student that is deaf and autistic. Because they were caught off gaurd with this kid, they do not have the proper resourcs in place. I am trying to find soem internet based resouces they can use until they get the proper stuff up and running.
I met her at ehr lunch time. SHe does sign a little. I told her my deaf name, she understood it, then looked away. When she looked back a signed it again and asked her if she understood. She did. Then blocked me out. When she was outside, I asked her if she was cold, she was.
As I said, please levase politics, bias and all the other problems you may have with me out of this. I am simply trying to get the teachers soem resources. Her two teachers told me they know "a little sign". But by watching them, I realized that I know more than they do. And I barel;y know any. I showed them aslpro.com and another.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Today is this girls first day at a new school where she doesnt know anyone, and cannot communicate with anyone.
Thak you

Thanks guys! I do not yet know about the IEP. As I said, it seems the girl was put here without the teachers knowing everything about her. They were caught off guard by her deafness. Until they can get the proper protocols in place, I am just trying to at least help the teachers communicate with her, and her with them. I am looking for ideas that they can use to talk with her. She and I did sign briefly today. I signed to her my deaf name, and asked if she got it. SHe signed "yes" back. So she keeps up a bit. I just want to at least provide the necessary tools to reduce frustration levels on her part.

OK, More info. I just finished helping the hteachers with this girl. She mentally retarded, deaf and autistic. She came from a school where the teacher knew sign language. Her IEP did not say anything about needing a translator. DUH! The other school wrote a bad IEP and passed ti on to us. SHe has a transition IEP coming up soon. I talked to the foster mom (learning sign), and advised her of the situation here. SHe was aware of it, I reminded her that she is this girls advocate, and to fight for a terp. she agreed. I gave ehr my card and reminded her that I am always here as long as school is open. Still
any resources are much appreciated, it is going to be a few daysd until her IEP, so the teachers are struggling to communicate with her.

In some Deaf schools they do take care of Deaf and autustic students. At WPSD Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf where I went to school, I know I always saw Deaf and autustic students in the hallway with their teachers at school. They always were in a seperate class but what is nice about it is that they had both Deaf autustic boys and girls and best of all, teachers who really understood the unique situations that the Deaf and autustic students face daily in their lives. Check with your local Deaf school and see what they can do to help.

talked to the foster mom (learning sign), and advised her of the situation here. SHe was aware of it, I reminded her that she is this girls advocate, and to fight for a terp. she agreed. I gave ehr my card and reminded her that I am always here as long as school is open. Still
any resources are much appreciated
I agree 100% with Heath...............contact your state School for the Deaf. Look around and see if there might be better local programs for her.
B/c she uses Sign, and is deaf, she's not a typical austic student.
She will need autistic services of course, but she might be better served at a school for the Deaf, where people know Sign.

That is so great what u are doing, Lillys Dad! At my school we do serve a few deaf children with austism. I have had one in my class 2 years ago and it was a learning experience for me. I learned that some of them communicate better when standing behind their backs and extending my arms around their body and signing in their visual view. I am trying to remember the appropriate terms but it worked with some but with others it didnt work. Each student responded differently to stimuli. My student could not stand being touched but since he is deaf, the need for tapping was evident but we always try to get into his field of vision to get his attention first.

Hope everything gets worked out cuz it is a very challenging job working with deaf children who have autism.

Thanks everyone!

Shel, "I learned that some of them communicate better when standing behind their backs and extending my arms around their body and signing in their visual view"

That is exactly the satuff I was looking for! I read that, and went to the classroom to tell the teachers this idea. They were so happy with the idea, one of them hugged me! They wanted me to convey thier "eternal gratitude" to you.
I/they are open to any other ideas that may help them effectively. As for the school options, I have no say in that manner. I can only suggest things to the teachers and foster mom.
I know this goes against deaf culture because the teachers are hearing, and so am I, but I suggested giving the other 4 students in the class a deaf name for her. I explained how that works. I think it will help her to get situated in the class a little.
The other kids in the class, seem interested in learning sign. I brought in the first dvd from signing time and am loaning it to the teacher.

Thanks again.

Hi Lilly's dad, Looks like you are well on your way to helping that Deaf autustic girl, her family and the school where she is at right now big time. God Bless :angel:

Change of plans! Now instead of loaning the DVD to the teacher, I am showing it to the class and introducing them to sign. Umm, I'd hate to say it, because I am definately not qualified to even speak these words, but I am going to teach them some sign. Just the basic stuff so they may communicate with the deaf student.
And her IEP update meeting is tomorrow. I talked 1 on 1 with every member of the team, except the state rep. since she is a ward of the state and explained to them that she REALLY NEEDS A TERP.
Anyway, I need to throw together a quick lesson plan now. I'll let ya all know how it went.

HUGS to the sweet girl--my heart goes out to her!

Just reading your first entry broke my heart--just imagining this girl on her first day in a new school and feeling so alone and misunderstood. Sounds like she has had a tough life so far--no matter what, I KNOW her feelings must be hurting. Sounds like she needs: a parapro (assistant) to be by her side at all times until she gets settled and gets her IEP in place, a FRIEND (hopefully there is at least one girl in the school with a big soft heart who will show her around and help her get to know her new school), and she may open up and communicate pretty well if she had a full-time interpreter with her--ideally, they could get a parapro who is fluent in ASL right away. I hope things get into place SOON so she can begin to find her place in her new school--sounds like she has to fit into a lot of new places right now, at least her school can do what they can to help. If I remember right, the Special School District in St. Louis is pretty well organized--hope they begin helping this girl right away. HUGS to you, too---sounds like you have a big, warm heart!

I agree 100% with Heath...............contact your state School for the Deaf. Look around and see if there might be better local programs for her.
B/c she uses Sign, and is deaf, she's not a typical austic student.
She will need autistic services of course, but she might be better served at a school for the Deaf, where people know Sign.

Agreed. Communication is an even bigger issue for the autistic than for the deaf, as the autistic are difficult to engage in social interaction generally. Therefore, it is doubly important that communication is provided in a mode that the autistic student is comfortable with.

Update, I taught the whole class some sign so they can communicate with her. They loved it! I helped them create a deaf name for each of them. I asked them what they liked. Then I used the first letter of their name and the word for what they liked. example- Rodney likes to run. So His sign name is Rand run in sign. I knwo it is not proper for me to give deaf names, but I felt it was necessary so this deaf girl can feel a little more wecomed.

BTW her IEP meeting is in a day or two. And I absolutely loved teaching the class.
After we made names, we watched a baby sign language DVD, and practiced the words they learned.

Gotta go

Thanks everyone!

Shel, "I learned that some of them communicate better when standing behind their backs and extending my arms around their body and signing in their visual view"

That is exactly the satuff I was looking for! I read that, and went to the classroom to tell the teachers this idea. They were so happy with the idea, one of them hugged me! They wanted me to convey thier "eternal gratitude" to you.
I/they are open to any other ideas that may help them effectively. As for the school options, I have no say in that manner. I can only suggest things to the teachers and foster mom.
I know this goes against deaf culture because the teachers are hearing, and so am I, but I suggested giving the other 4 students in the class a deaf name for her. I explained how that works. I think it will help her to get situated in the class a little.
The other kids in the class, seem interested in learning sign. I brought in the first dvd from signing time and am loaning it to the teacher.

Thanks again.

U are welcome..anything to do to help children during their school years.

Update, I taught the whole class some sign so they can communicate with her. They loved it! I helped them create a deaf name for each of them. I asked them what they liked. Then I used the first letter of their name and the word for what they liked. example- Rodney likes to run. So His sign name is Rand run in sign. I knwo it is not proper for me to give deaf names, but I felt it was necessary so this deaf girl can feel a little more wecomed.

BTW her IEP meeting is in a day or two. And I absolutely loved teaching the class.
After we made names, we watched a baby sign language DVD, and practiced the words they learned.

Gotta go

I am not sure if u actually gave out a real name of a student or just using an example but just a FYI..be careful about giving out students' real names due to confidentality laws.

No, it was a theoretical name. But thank you. Last night, I was thinking about getting in the class and teaching kids, I do not know if it was the s.e. class, or if it was sign language, or what, but that was without a doubt, the most fun I have had at work in years!

Kudos, Lilly's dad. I truly admire you for using what you have learned through your own struggles with your daughter to be of help to another child in need. One of the reasons I am back in school is because during my son's elementary and secondary school years, I saw so many children in need of advocacy and going without services simply because they did not have anyone to advocate for them in IEP meetings or to mediate with the school system. You have made my frustrating day much better today simply by reading these most recent posts. Great work.

Isn't it fun to go into the classroom and introduce the students to a new concept? When my son was mainstreamed K-4 I would make arrangements to go in the 2nd or 3rd day of class and talk with his classmates, let them listen to his hearing aids, explain why he would do certain things like touch them to get their attention, and teach them some basic sign phrases. He had a terp in the classroom, but it was my experience that when you involved the hearing students in an active sort of way, they were much more receptive and tolerant. The teacher usually picked up a few useful tidbits, as well. Doing things like this for my son was what I was supposed to do, but you have taken it a step farther, and addressed the needs of a child you don't even know. You have certainly earned my respect and admiration.

Yeah, that pretty much how I am doing this. In direct relation to the deaf student, I am trying to turn a negative into a positive. The girl will not get a terp. It was discussed, and it was decided by all involved that she functions at such alow level, that it would be a waste of resources. Sad, but unfortunately true, she operates mentally at around a 2-3year old level. SHe has several other issues developmentally.
So, I am now teachiong the class on a regular basis. I explained to the other kids (also functioning at a low developmental level) that since she cannot hear, she does not know what is going to happen next. You know, what class is next, where they are going when they leave the room and so on. SO I borrowed some books from the teacher. They were actually speech therapy books with little hand drawn pictures. I found pictures that symbolized each class, thing in their schedule. Then I arranged them in order of their day, found signs to explain each class (science, history, gym, math and so on). Photocopied it, laminated them, and put them on each students desk so they all have it. Then I taught the teacher the signs for the schedule, then the class. SO now, she has a visual schedule made in a manner she can understand, and a sign that goes with each class.
On a related note, I guess I did a decent job at teaching them some signs, (and I also realized how important body language and facial expressions are). One of the kids has recently developed the habit of standing up and dropping his pants. Well, he did it, and the class started laughing and got very distracted.
I ignored his pants dropping for several seconds. Then I signed to him"enough and all done". I gestured for him to pull up his pants and signed to sit down. He did! When teh class kept laughing and carrying on, I told them to "stop" then signed"all done, stop, enough, sit down, and be quiet". Using sign and body language, they figured out what I was saying and listened! And I never SAID a single word.
THAT WAS COOL!
After teaching a couple of classes, the teacher has invited me back as often as I can. I think Im going to.
The other day, while passing one of the students in the hall, he made eye contact with me, waved hi and signed my sign name to me! So I signed "whatsup and his sign name!. Very cool!

I talked to a D.A.R.E. officer I work with, he told em that they have a deaf kid in one of his classes at another school. I showed hiom a few gestures and referred him to some ASL resources to learn more.

You know..........Liliysdad, it's awesome that you're giving such a great resource to the class. I know some autistic kids use Sign. It might be a useful thing for the autistic kids! Maybe a good idear might be to find an aide that is fluent in Sign....not a 'terp......but a one on one aide. It could be that the student might be a little higher functioning then previously thought. Do you know if she got appropreate EI and what kind of program she was in before? I know quite a bit about multiple handicapped dhh kids, since I have a syndrome that can cause issues, like the student has.

Back