How many pets do you have?

I have a wonderful Rottie baby girl from the breeder or my very dear and much-missed soul-dog whom we lost <died> and a sweet Black lab through rescue who is 10 years. Both my dogs are raw dogs. I am a dog trainer. I have always wanted to have dogs but did not have any as a child, so I volunteered at shelters and also watched other peoples' dogs. I am involved in Rottie and Pit Bull rescue.

Braydensmom, u have a BM pup! :D Another of mine and my husband's favorites!

I hope you do not cook for dogs!

I love dogs.I love them but my father disagree keep it at home.He hate dogs.Iam from Sultante of Oman.Iam Omani.I hope to visit USA in the future.I study English at college but my Enghish not well:wave:One doctor who from USA.He is so good with Omani people.:P

hi whatdidyousay, I cooked for my previous Rottie who was diagnosed w/kidney disease at 2 years of age. Based on my knowledge of canine nutrition and holistic pet care I refused to use the "prescription" "foods" <NOT what I'd call food> recommended for kidney dogs and did cook for her. We also gave fluids during the last year of her life. She lived to be 8 and 1/2 with kidney disease but with good life quality.

My current dogs, no I don't cook for as they don't need it, they get raw meat and bones and other animal products for their food. I will not use processed food with them <kibble, which is so processed and mostly filler and carbohydrates for which dogs and cats do NOT have a nutritional requirement>.

Ok, So here are my parrots. Still looking for pictures of the other animals. If I can't find, I will take new ones!!

Does your parrots let you know when the phone ring or door bell? I thought of getting 'hearing' parrot . A friend of mine has one and he a good 'watch'
bird!

I love cats and have since I was little. I have two now. A six-year-old gray tabby boy named Bilbo and a 10-or-so (she was a rescue kitty) all-black girl named Rocks. Bilbo was an orphaned kitten, and I hand-fed him KMR (kitten milk) every two hours. Is he grateful? NO! He's a bratty cat! He reminds me of a teenage boy running away from his mother when she tries to hug him :) Rocks is the sweetest, most affectionate cat I've ever met.

I used to have pet rats, and they were wonderful. But the cats aren't used to rats and I'm afraid they would attack them, so no rats now.

What's wrong with cooking for dogs?

Absolutely nothing. Maybe the poster was thinking of cooking things with bones, since that would make the bones brittle and dangerous. Bones can only be safe when raw or frozen. There's also debate which has more nutrition: cooking food or keeping it raw. Cooking it depletes some nutrition.

I currently have 2 horses, one is a mustang and the other is half mustang, half thoroughbred. a mini doberman pincher, a calico cat with 4 kittens and a gray tabby with 4 kittens as well. In the past I've had 2 parakeets, a cockatiel, a rat, a hamster, 2 gerbils, several painted turtles, butterflies (monarch mostly) that I "raised" from a catepillar to butterfly, several goldfish, a few bettas, algae eater, snails, toads, frogs, a border collie cross, a beagle, a quarter horse, an 18 months stud quarter horse/appaloosa (which I had gelded later). I'm sure I'm missing quite a few as many have come to stay with me temporarily including the last two horses that had needed some rehabilitation/training before they could be placed in a good home.

aussiedogs,

YES, u are correct- raw bones, with proper supervision are fine, it's the cooked bones that cause the most problems with dogs and cats. I feed raw in general-

I love the look of the Russian Blue

horsecrazy, what a variety! do the mustangs go barefoot? <no shoes; natural feet>

aussiedogs,

YES, u are correct- raw bones, with proper supervision are fine, it's the cooked bones that cause the most problems with dogs and cats. I feed raw in general-

I love the look of the Russian Blue

horsecrazy, what a variety! do the mustangs go barefoot? <no shoes; natural feet>

Yes, I also give my dogs raw bones. They love the bones.

cool, webexplorer! Oral health issues not so much ofconcern when feeding raw bones -

cool, webexplorer! Oral health issues not so much ofconcern when feeding raw bones -

I think that is a good way to get chipped teeth. Treated rawhide is good for the dental hygiene of the dog.

Dingo bones, with a little dried chicken in the twisted rawhide, really encourages chewing.

I always get compliments from my vet on the fantastic health and good teeth of my dogs.

Raw diets are not very safe.

Curious...are your pugs fixed? I am looking for a male pug to breed our Jack Russell one more time than get her spayed by the time she turns 5. She is 4 now. Now we have JUG, and so cute looking dog! :)

No they aren't as I am a pug breeder. *please no bashing from those that dont believe in breeding*. My pugs are all tested at the vets before breeding and they go through all tests. Unless you have bred before though, I would suggest you read some books on it. Breeding is a hair raising ordeal. Even though all my girls have had nothing but successful births, I still panic when delivery time comes and worry that something will happen to them.

Actually there have been more known cases of deaths and illnesses from processed food than from raw food, and if the person does the research, plans properly and has the advice of a holistic vet, raw diets are quiet safe in healthy animals.
Raw bones, also properly supervised are not a big concern for me personally, as I get bones that are appropriate for the types of dogs I have and I don't leave them alone with them.
Rawhide is very likely to cause internal blockage and is highly processed, especially with various chemicals if not from U.S. As far as I know <could be wrong> those Dingo bones have been from China, which is where all the scare from the contaminated processed pet food came from. I do not buy my dogs anything edible from China. Rawhide, hooves, ears, snouts, Greenies and the like are all made from useless stuff that dogs can't easily or at all process and have a history of causing blockage. It is true that vets have seen cases of problems with IMROPERLY planned/supervised raw diets. Then they think all raw diets are "bad". Vets get very little to no training in nutrition of cats and dogs in vet school.

Bear, I AGREE with you. I am trainer and have Rotties from reputable, experienced breeder. I think that breeding should only be done by folks who have been in dogs and in that breed at a very high or competitive level, for long time and want to improve the breed as a whole. Breeding responsibly means having proven dogs that are worthy of being bred for specific reasons, knowing genetics, breed and line characteristics, health and temperament evaluations and many many more things. It is a very risky and costly thing, not to "try" just once, or because you know a "nice" dog and your cousin/mail carrier/best friend/ co-worker has a "nice" dog.

I have to say that I agreed with dogmom. My favorite dog died with unknown infection. I may think that a dried meat which I got from some free samples at a dog show is one of the possibilities for my dog's death because there was a tiny label on the bottom package that says "Made in China." (I am so mad at myself that I can't believe that it's China.)

Another possibility, my 72-years-old uncle dropped his natural pill in his car with my dogs on the way to a pond. I also think that he dropped small piece of chocolate chip cookies on the floor because he has a habit of stealing my cookies and eats them so fast at my house once a while. (I don't mind that he eats my cookies without my permission cuz he is losing his mind. I stopped buying the chocolate cookies because of my dog.) I still don't trust any vets because they did not a good job to save a dog's life. Now, I have a 9 months old puppy so I won't let this ever happen again. Now, I have two dogs, and they are happy to be each other.

I believe that every pet owner should have two pets instead of one. Thank you.

Back