How Many of You That Wear HA's Grow Hair Long to Cover Them?

Waiting on my own HAs, and can't wait to show them off! My hair is long enough to cover them- but just because I tend to like my hair long. I'm sure I'll tie it back a lot :)

I often wonder why glasses can even be a fashion statement, and yet hearing aids are supposed to be hidden? I think its ridiculous.

When told I'm getting hearing aids, a lot of people have immediately said, "that's okay... they make ones you can't even see these days!" I respond by asking, "what, am I supposed to be ashamed of them???"

I used to have long hair while growing up so i have always had it tied back or down it never bothered me while i wore HA's.
Now I have shoulder length, I have it down more than up not because of the HA/CI, its to look professional at work (setting examples to the kids!) When my hair is up, I have one beige HA and one black with silver backing CI, the kids notice the beige HA more. I would love to have Black HA but I cannot get them due not being under 18... how stupid is that! it should be people's choice, they are the one wearing it.

You can't choose your color if your not under 18?! How stupid. You should get to choose what color you want. Is it possible to choose whatever color you want from just about any manufacturer as long as they make it? I didn't know that you could even get colored molds until recently. I'm very much leaning towards bright blue, lol.

She is in the UK. My understanding is that things are a lot stricter there in terms of this.

Well if the NHS is paying for it, from what I understand, they give you only the very minimum you can get by with.

I pay National Insurance and Income Tax so I am entitled to choose colour HA like I did with my CI. I am the one who is co paying for it though my wages (22% of it maybe more). I don't think having colour hearing aid is any difference in costs it's the effort of ordering them... So if kids can have them why not the adults, its our selves that are wearing them not the Audiologists.

When told I'm getting hearing aids, a lot of people have immediately said, "that's okay... they make ones you can't even see these days!" I respond by asking, "what, am I supposed to be ashamed of them???"

I get similar things all the time, people see my naidas and say ohh you can hardly see them....:roll: guess most people cant understand why we are not ashamed of wearing them.

Hiding of your hearing aids

Thing i hate when people know that i am deaf, is that they tell me that they are deaf too and tell you their story. They just do not get it, that compared to me they are not deaf. They usually only have a mild loss.

I find this so annoying. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have a purple hearing and love the colours that we can choose now. I also love that the children can have fun animal ones too. When i get my next hearing aid i will choose a new colour. Who wants to hide the aid, if more people showed theirs i think it would help the world. I also wear short hair so you can see mind. But people never really noticed it. So those that wear skin colour ones to hide their aid are just dumb in my view. Personal choice too. Sorry i am a bit bitter with peoples ignorance to deafness.

Unless my experience is unusual -- I think the average audis have a lot to do with it.

Two times I have had to have my brand new HAs returned because they ended up ordering the light beige ones instead of the dark or medium brown ones that I had ordered. First one made a really big fuss about doing the exchange also. You would have thought that I had ordered her to kill her grandmother.

Over the years, the first time I told a new hearing aid techs/audis that I wanted to order light brown ear molds instead of their standard color ear mold -- invariably white, clear or bumble gum pink -- they complained also. One refused and I didn't end up giving her my business.

I have the same attitude about my HAs as I do my eyeglasses. I'm not looking for anything flashy and I'm not trying to hide anything either. I just want something that blends in with my coloring. And yes, there is a difference between trying to hide something and going for something that is a flattering color for you. How many people do you see walking around with glasses whose frames are light beige? Even Caucasian people?

I can't help but wonder if the fewer "special" orders they make, the more likely they are to get lower wholesale prices? Because honestly, why else should they care? It's just a matter of checking one box instead of another or at most writing down one word instead of no words on the purchase order.

On the subway when I see little kids with HAs, they are often light beige also. It's not a color that I think most kids would prefer and considering that many of those kids are African-American, Asian or other people of color -- I don't think the standard audi's argument -- "we chose a color that is least noticable for you" works.

Thing i hate when people know that i am deaf, is that they tell me that they are deaf too and tell you their story. They just do not get it, that compared to me they are not deaf. They usually only have a mild loss.

I find this so annoying. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Moggy, I get this a lot with older people that are either just getting HA or still adjusting to having HAs. I think this is because they are looking to find acceptance with something that is already hard to accept (getting old and losing their hearing). I actually enjoy this because it gives me a chance to educate them and give them a feeling of belonging. This also gives them a chance to express some of their frustrations where their spouse probably does not understand. Older folks can be so much fun! Give them a chance! :wave:

Moggy, I get this a lot with older people that are either just getting HA or still adjusting to having HAs. I think this is because they are looking to find acceptance with something that is already hard to accept (getting old and losing their hearing). I actually enjoy this because it gives me a chance to educate them and give them a feeling of belonging. This also gives them a chance to express some of their frustrations where their spouse probably does not understand. Older folks can be so much fun! Give them a chance! :wave:

I get this too. Once an old guy at my church was telling me about his new HAs and it seemed to help him because he thought I would understand his problems.

Which we would, right up to the point of once having normal hearing for the most part, lol. It was funny when it thundered in church and I didn't know it. The little kids were flipping out. I was like what's wrong? Some said thunder. Oh. Lol.

I tend to cover them with my hair the majority of the time..but then there's days I can't be bothered faffing about with hair straighteners and hair products so just tie it up lol and truthfully, sometimes it's not a bad thing if people see them, they might be more conciderate with you that way. And some people that don't know I'm deaf are just as ignorant as the ones who do D:

I don't care if mine stick out... :P that is why I got a colored aid in the first place. I am not embrassed to be deaf..
I wear my hair in a pony tail a lot... and it shows off.. :P

I probably would...if I could. But, I am Bald !!

The first time my Audi talked to me about CI, my first words were ... but I dont have any hair to hide it.

Since getting my first HA about 18 mos ago ...I guess I have evolved. Recently when considering a new one, I almsot ordered the zebra stripes...but instead opted for 2 tone ice blue ones. My thinking now is ... screw everyone else... I am gonna wear my HA proudly. Besides, it might help tip people off that there is a bit of an issue there ... if I hide them, they won't get it :)

I only let people I know see my hearing aids. If there is a new co-worker I hide them to make a good first impression. If out in public I hide them as well for safety reasons. I wouldn't want to be a target because I appear to be easy prey. If anything I'm not. I don't think any of us here are we use our eyes too much. :)

I try to blend in as much as possible when around strangers or new people at work at least until they are told I'm Deaf then I allow them to see the hearing aids. If the new co-worker sees the aids first without meeting me, shaking my hand to me it leaves a sour impression on the person. It's a pity party kind of thing or it's extreme nervousness about approaching me OR they decide that they are better than me because they can hear. I'd like to avoid all of that and then slap you in the face that I'm Deaf, surprise!

Lets see how you act towards me afterwards. If you recoil I'll know you're not worth my time. If you are accepting I will be as well. I hate to be this way but I try at all costs to guard my heart. If you are the creepster that is just too damn curious about my lip reading ability or you test me to see if I can hear you behind me ( I've had this happen before ) er...you're toast bud.

the short answer: I hide my hearing aids. Heh, I type too much! It's easier to type than to speak!

I don't care if mine stick out... :P that is why I got a colored aid in the first place. I am not embrassed to be deaf..
I wear my hair in a pony tail a lot... and it shows off.. :P

Wish I could. Last time I proudly cut my hair short and let the world see them I got a taste of reality that same day. I was mocked at subway. I posted on that experience under the annoying ignorant hearing person thread.

Blue! They'd be blue if I ever did get colored ones. Baby Blue! Love that color!

I did wear my hair down to purposely cover my hearing aids. My sister once told me not to put my hair up because my hearing aids looked ugly and that did affect me for a long time. But nowadays, I don't give a second thought about it. My hair is long and I usually wear it in a ponytail or a bun to keep it out of my face. It's actually more convenient to show them because it makes people understand that I'm not ignoring them on purpose (i.e. waiters, store clerks, etc) and people tend to be more conscious that I lipread.

That's the nice thing about getting older - you get over it, the self-consciousness.

I always have long hair - almost to the waist but I do put my hair up in a ponytail for my comfort. I don't care if they see my HAs or not as I can't hide my deafness because of my accent.

Back