How Many of You That Wear HA's Grow Hair Long to Cover Them?

I'm actually surprised. I thought more people would notice my CI. I've got this big ass magnet sitting on the side of my head above my ear... how could they not notice it???

I think part of it may be how you carry yourself. People who carry themselves with a lot of confidence tend to be respected more (people don't notice odd things as much). People with low confidence tend tend to get more criticism (people look for things to critique). I noticed this as I learned to carry myself with more confidence.

Very valid point. Confidence is everything. How one behaves dictates how others treat them.

Very valid point. Confidence is everything. How one behaves dictates how others treat them.

And, it's ok to pretend to be confident. I did that for many years until the confidence just somehow became... real.

Well mine will be boring brown.

One of these days when I have the money and the insurance I'd love to get some bold blue ones. It would contrast against my red hair.

Guilty. Been there, done that. Now today, I wear a buzzsaw haircut and I don't care what they think about my HA anymore. Glad I grew outta that.

Yiz

Well mine will be boring brown.

One of these days when I have the money and the insurance I'd love to get some bold blue ones. It would contrast against my red hair.

yay! another red head! I was born with red hair but it didn't stay red for long. I still have some red in my hair but it can only be seen in sunlight. It's almost a strawberry blonde but it's more blonde than red.

What color are your eyes? Mine are green and I have freckles all over my arms too. :P

I did wear my hair down to purposely cover my hearing aids. My sister once told me not to put my hair up because my hearing aids looked ugly and that did affect me for a long time. But nowadays, I don't give a second thought about it. My hair is long and I usually wear it in a ponytail or a bun to keep it out of my face. It's actually more convenient to show them because it makes people understand that I'm not ignoring them on purpose (i.e. waiters, store clerks, etc) and people tend to be more conscious that I lipread.

That's the nice thing about getting older - you get over it, the self-consciousness.

That is very true! I've noticed that about myself as well. I'm not as self-conscious about it now that I'm pushing 30. People do seem to be more accepting of it when you're older vs. when you're a kid. I cannot wait until I'm 70...imagine how good it'll be then? :giggle:

I have never used my hair to cover my HA/CI. just the fact how long my hair is. Now my hair is short i dont care who see its

I can't seem to find comfortable bte aids, so I am yet wearing boring beige in the ear. You guys just inspired me though, I have some hot pink nail polish.....as long as I don't paint the battery door shut, or the buttons shut, should be ok?? I want mine to be pretty, funky, an envious of the lit up ones mentioned here at all-deaf, have yet to see one. Hayleigh's Cherished Charms look pretty cool too! I guess rhinestones could work, maybe find some bright coloured ones....

I have longish hair but often wear it up, I couldn't give a rats ass if anyone sees my aid!

I can't seem to find comfortable bte aids, so I am yet wearing boring beige in the ear. You guys just inspired me though, I have some hot pink nail polish.....as long as I don't paint the battery door shut, or the buttons shut, should be ok?? I want mine to be pretty, funky, an envious of the lit up ones mentioned here at all-deaf, have yet to see one. Hayleigh's Cherished Charms look pretty cool too! I guess rhinestones could work, maybe find some bright coloured ones....

I have longish hair but often wear it up, I couldn't give a rats ass if anyone sees my aid!

Using nail polish on your HAs doesn't seem like a good idea. I believe this subject has already been raised on an earlier thread.

LOL I have a light up hearing aid though :)

Oh, thanks for letting me know that. It has been awhile since I have been here and am finding it near impossible to read all the threads I have missed! Cheers!

I have not seen a light up one, but I am most envious!

Oh, thanks for letting me know that. It has been awhile since I have been here and am finding it near impossible to read all the threads I have missed! Cheers!

I have not seen a light up one, but I am most envious!

LOL my hearing aids are an Oticon Safari 600 P and I really love them :D if you look at my pro pic, that's my purple Safaris in there

Thing i hate when people know that i am deaf, is that they tell me that they are deaf too and tell you their story. They just do not get it, that compared to me they are not deaf. They usually only have a mild loss.

People have been doing that to me a lot lately. They think that because I usually appear to function at a similar level to them but have a diagnosis and HA and use an FM for classes that means they have the same level of loss as I do. The concept of me having been hoh all my life and therefore functioning pretty well because I have 20 years of practice as opposed to them (they're mainly college students not seniors) having listened to their music a little too loud over the past couple years is just as lost on them as the distinction between hoh and deaf is. :roll:
When they try to tell me their story, I just smile and tell them "Ok, I can give you the number for an audiologist in the area." Not a single one has actually called them, of course. :laugh2:

On the actual topic of this thread, I make no effort to conceal mine and would rather they be visible but I'm lazy about haircuts so it ends up shaggy and covering them anyway.

I apologize in advance for resurrecting an old thread, but I registered because I happened to find this thread in a google search and wanted to throw in my two cents...As a 21 year old male college student, who was born with great hearing and lost 65% in both ears 6 months ago, YES, I am absolutely growing my hair long to cover my HA's. I have Starkey 3 series CIC aids, so they aren't highly visible to begin with, but there is no way I would consider getting my hair cut short until I can afford some sort of totally invisible HA. My hair was medium-long before the hearing loss, and I've been growing it out ever since. I'm surprised by how many people said that they don't wear long hair to cover them, really, but that's just where I'm at right now I suppose. There are plenty of reasons I would rather keep them out of sight. One of which is that those who are hearing impaired are often stigmatized, and to me, it comes off as a sign of vulnerability/weakness. Also, I would rather not have anybody asking about how I lost my hearing to begin with, because it is a story that's painful for me to talk about. It was my own actions that resulted in this, nothing else. If I hadn't arrived at the hospital w/o a pulse or respiration as a result of a MASSIVE polydrug OD (it was accidental, but the toxicology report makes it painfully obvious how routine this sort of thing was for me at the time already, this one day just happened to put me over the edge) I may have a different outlook on this. As of right now, I'm wearing beanies and ballcaps most of the time, and when it's warm, I'll style it in such a way that my ears remain covered.

I just have long hair... :dunno2: I don't intentionally try to cover my C.I.... I don't really care who sees it... :laugh2: Oh no, she's DEAF! What a freak of nature! Is that what they're going to think? :roll: People need to stop caring so much about what other people think and be proud of who you are...

My CI is firmly resting on my head not my hair, looks concealed well except the cable. I'm not concerned if it's noticed... :P

Nope nope nope ... always short ... was cut a couple days ago and she uses the clippers ... always high and tight ... and my CI is there I don't care who sees it or what they say ...

I apologize in advance for resurrecting an old thread, but I registered because I happened to find this thread in a google search and wanted to throw in my two cents...As a 21 year old male college student, who was born with great hearing and lost 65% in both ears 6 months ago, YES, I am absolutely growing my hair long to cover my HA's. I have Starkey 3 series CIC aids, so they aren't highly visible to begin with, but there is no way I would consider getting my hair cut short until I can afford some sort of totally invisible HA. My hair was medium-long before the hearing loss, and I've been growing it out ever since. I'm surprised by how many people said that they don't wear long hair to cover them, really, but that's just where I'm at right now I suppose. There are plenty of reasons I would rather keep them out of sight. One of which is that those who are hearing impaired are often stigmatized, and to me, it comes off as a sign of vulnerability/weakness. Also, I would rather not have anybody asking about how I lost my hearing to begin with, because it is a story that's painful for me to talk about. It was my own actions that resulted in this, nothing else. If I hadn't arrived at the hospital w/o a pulse or respiration as a result of a MASSIVE polydrug OD (it was accidental, but the toxicology report makes it painfully obvious how routine this sort of thing was for me at the time already, this one day just happened to put me over the edge) I may have a different outlook on this. As of right now, I'm wearing beanies and ballcaps most of the time, and when it's warm, I'll style it in such a way that my ears remain covered.
Poor kid. I hope you adjust soon. For the next month and a half, my hearing aid is decked out in EarGear and TubeTwists coordinating colors with various NCAA basketball teams.

People usually figure out what it's for, and think it is cool.

I can't help it when my HA looks hidden because I'm growing back long hair and my HA is pretty small.

181199_10102599568840089_652494157_n.jpg

I have longish hair & I wear it pulled up on the sides. I don't care if people see by "large" BTEs. I also have glitter ear molds.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Back