How do they react when you told hearie person that you're Ddeaf/Hhoh?

Well there is a point where it comes in handy, I wouldn't want to talk to him lol

I tried to ignore him but he was disturbing so I had to tell him something to shut him up

The speaking louder has always made it harder for me to understand people..ironic isnt it. With my HAs, when people speak louder, it hurts my ears and takes my concentration off from speechreading eliminating any chances of me understanding them.

lol2.gif

or i get the OVER-ENUNCIATED words...have u ever gotten that? the CAAAANNNN YOOOOUUUUU HEEEEAAAAAAAARRRR MEEEEE?! and im likee...dude im deaf...not dumb.

seriously.

I get that all the time! It's seriously annoying. They're the ones who are clueless and need to be filled in on how to talk to deaf people.

I once went to the Financial Aid office at the university. As always, I introduce myself then say, "please look at me when you speak; I'm deaf." The counselor stared at me a minute, said, "excccuuuuusse mmeeeeeeeee". She got up and walked away. I haven't seen her since.

:eek3: WOW !! :eek3:

OH NUH UH ur not deaf and then i have to explain my CI and all that good stuff....

or i get the OVER-ENUNCIATED words...have u ever gotten that? the CAAAANNNN YOOOOUUUUU HEEEEAAAAAAAARRRR MEEEEE?! and im likee...dude im deaf...not dumb.

seriously.

Next time, someone say that to you, hand them a brochure to a school for the specials (all age!), if you want one, simply go to TASK: Team of Advocates for Special Kids, you can get one off there, :P

Oh, when you hand the brochure, be sure to say "It's okay, I'm here to help you." With a smile.

I want to respond...but I do not want to sound stupid.

It has been discussed in other forums how beautiful of a language sign is.
As a hearie - I am in awe when people sign.
I don't understand all there is to being Ddeaf/HOH, but I am trying to learn.

My response to a Ddeaf/HOH person is INADEQUACY. I don't know what to say or how to communicate properly as there are so many differentions.

I do not want to force my opinions or judgements on anyone, but even as I have learned here...Ddeaf/HOH are real people too. I have had to change my paradigm as I went to school and received an undergrad degree in Speech Language Pathology. I have a heart for people - but I don't want people to think - oh here comes Chewie...trying to analyze or fix us.

I just want to relate to people and I love the people I have met here on AD.

Sorry for my ramblings

Back