How do they react when you told hearie person that you're Ddeaf/Hhoh?

I think the best response (as in funniest) to my saying that I'm hh/D is "really, are you sure?"

ummm yeah - I'm sure I'm hh/D ... lol

(I have "hearing speech" so you just know that in their heads they're think ... "is she pulling my leg ??")

:laugh2: Wait! Let me check! Yeah...I'm sure.

No, Jillio! Noooooooooo...

no wait, let me check my database

Dang, wrong person.:laugh2:

I am the only student at my college who is hard of hearing. I think word spread fast and all the people seem to know. It will be much easier to figure out now that I've got bright blue earmolds. I don't offend easily, so all the bad experience I've had, it hasn't bothered me enough to even remember.

Same here. Even then some people think my BTE aids are some "new" bluetooth device.:giggle:

People accuse me of lying, saying I can't be deaf because I speak very well. To prove i'm deaf, I have to point out my hearing aids.

People accuse me of lying, saying I can't be deaf because I speak very well. To prove i'm deaf, I have to point out my hearing aids.
When pointing to your hearing aids, you might wanna add, "See? This isn't a radio that connects me to E.T."

Okay, so the next time I meet a person who tells me they are deaf I am going to have to sign to them, "How do you know?"

When pointing to your hearing aids, you might wanna add, "See? This isn't a radio that connects me to E.T."
LOL, this is the comment u were talkin about, i came back and look for all ur comments. Well the kids like to touch my hearing aids, i wud tell them don't touch it or u will get an electric shock lol, I'm shock proof since i'm wearing them. The wud be be soo curious, but i love to have my little fun with them.

They think I'm joking and don't react with any more than a brief chuckle. I usually leave a few minutes later when they continue to make themselves incommunicable. Then my mom tells me I was rude, and I tell her that person was rude, and an argument ensues.

Different kind of reactions from hearing people.

• You're DEAF? I didn't know that! You speak so well.
  • Oh, never mind.
  • Cool, can you teach me sign language?
  • Oh, I'm sorry.

These posts are helping me to understand how a lot of hearing people would react. I actually asked one of my co workers how they would react if she came across a Deaf or HH person and asked a question and they told her that they were what she would do. her reaction was to speak louder lol. I had to correct her on how to communicate.

-OH really! WOW!You speak very well
-My profs act like my fm system is a bomb when I give it to them and they don't want to wear it like it's going to clash with their outfit or something.
-My profs say "CAN YOU HEAR ME!?"
-People also start yelling at me or exagerating their mouths like that is going to help me hear them better

People just don't understand sometimes lol

These posts are helping me to understand how a lot of hearing people would react. I actually asked one of my co workers how they would react if she came across a Deaf or HH person and asked a question and they told her that they were what she would do. her reaction was to speak louder lol. I had to correct her on how to communicate.

The speaking louder has always made it harder for me to understand people..ironic isnt it. With my HAs, when people speak louder, it hurts my ears and takes my concentration off from speechreading eliminating any chances of me understanding them.

i usually get this...

OH NUH UH ur not deaf and then i have to explain my CI and all that good stuff....

or i get the OVER-ENUNCIATED words...have u ever gotten that? the CAAAANNNN YOOOOUUUUU HEEEEAAAAAAAARRRR MEEEEE?! and im likee...dude im deaf...not dumb.

seriously.

I once went to the Financial Aid office at the university. As always, I introduce myself then say, "please look at me when you speak; I'm deaf." The counselor stared at me a minute, said, "excccuuuuusse mmeeeeeeeee". She got up and walked away. I haven't seen her since.

Do they really want to talk at 100dB or more all the time? :shock:

Im HOH myself, find myself in the situation that oftens from hearies, [laughing] "you're kidding me, right?". I told them, "Who else am i kid to? no, im not". They stop laughing mode and puzzled.

oh well. Good thing, i live in well known as deaf community- Fremont. I dont have to worry too much as well.

Obviously, I was driving home from work earlier today -- and I didn't realise when I was stopping at the trafiic lights, waiting for it to turn green a ugly drug accidt of some sort were trying to talk to me from his window, my window was down since I anted some cool air! Jesus, all I had to tell him 'Sorry, I can't hear you cause I am bloody deaf!' :roll:

He stopped talking

Obviously, I was driving home from work earlier today -- and I didn't realise when I was stopping at the trafiic lights, waiting for it to turn green a ugly drug accidt of some sort were trying to talk to me from his window, my window was down since I anted some cool air! Jesus, all I had to tell him 'Sorry, I can't hear you cause I am bloody deaf!' :roll:

He stopped talking

Well there is a point where it comes in handy, I wouldn't want to talk to him lol

You're DEAF? OMG! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! YOU SPEAK SO WELL!

I always :barf: at this response!

I have meet many hearing people that sign so well that I thought they were Deaf. Why not a Deaf person that can speak like a hearing person? :lol:

I get that too Byrdie and it drives me up the freaking wall. I ask "how do you think I should speak?" That shuts them up pretty fast.

They say I'm lying, because I can read lips and speak very well.

But truly I am deaf. I'm just talented.

Back