Hostile society of the hearing people

Some hearing are nasty to Deaf but are kind towards wheelchair people etc. Some hearing are nice to Deaf. It depends on the person.

I noticed that when I was growing up, girls was far more nasty and judgmental than boys was and boys was far more accepting with Deaf. Not all girls was like that, some was. All the bullies I had came from the girls, none of them came from the boys. Strange.

Agreed

Actually, she has a point.

I can tell you first hand that I'm wheelchair bound, and, people go out of their way to be nice to me; even to the point of pitying me. It's called being FAKE and I can discern the difference between someone who is being genuine and someone who is not.

It may not happen a lot, but it does happen.

I get that as well. I also have had countless people say to me, "Oh, I am soooooo sorry for you!" when they realize I am deaf. Sorry for what? My deafness is not their fault.

I get that as well. I also have had countless people say to me, "Oh, I am soooooo sorry for you!" when they realize I am deaf. Sorry for what? My deafness is not their fault.

ICK! I get the same damn thing. "I'm so sorry . I'll pray for you..." :barf:

And, I wonder the same thing. I :ugh3: as I contemplate what to say to that person. Usually, it's "Thank you." Then, I leave, thinking..."Wow, that sucked!"

And, I wonder the same thing. I :ugh3: as I contemplate what to say to that person. Usually, it's "Thank you." Then, I leave, thinking..."Wow, that sucked!"

:lol:

I usually say, "No, that's okay." That may sound like an odd answer but I am not thanking them for feeling sorry for me :lol:

I've had the "I'll pray for you" too ! :roll: The last time I got that, I didn't even reply. I just gave her an incredulous look like "Are you kidding me ??"

Oh, by the grace of god, maybe my hearing will "miraculously" come back if these people pray hard enough. :giggle:

lol. I think I've been there. :barf:

:lol:

I usually say, "No, that's okay." That may sound like an odd answer but I am not thanking them for feeling sorry for me :lol:

I've had the "I'll pray for you" too ! :roll: The last time I got that, I didn't even reply. I just gave her an incredulous look like "Are you kidding me ??"

Oh, by the grace of god, maybe my hearing will "miraculously" come back if these people pray hard enough. :giggle:

Actually, the bolded statement is a good answer. I just have found myself in that situation and was taught to respect my elders. Most of these examples occured when I was younger, and quite honestly, I wasn't sure exactly what to say to them, so I just thanked them, but you're right.

As for my reactions NOW, I'd probably do the same thing, too. Just look at them like...."OK, if it makes you feel better, but, I really am comfortable with this circumstance, thank you very much! :lol:

lol. I think I've been there. :barf:

I know another ADer who actually had someone pat her on the head. That was over the line, imho.

Why people feel the need to do this is beyond me? It's obviously about their issues and not ours. I'm comfortable being in a wheelchair. You're comfortable being deaf, so it's NOT US. It's them.

I guess, in a perfect world, the answer would be to educate these morons, but, when does that become futile and we just have to leave them to their ignorance?

I know another ADer who actually had someone pat her on the head. That was over the line, imho.

Why people feel the need to do this is beyond me? It's obviously about their issues and not ours. I'm comfortable being in a wheelchair. You're comfortable being deaf, so it's NOT US. It's them.

I guess, in a perfect world, the answer would be to educate these morons, but, when does that become futile and we just have to leave them to their ignorance?

I loathe being patted on my head and that's condescending. I've had members of my own family do that to me. It prolly comes as no surprise to you that our relationships are a bit strained.

I think we leave them to their devices when it become clear that these morons are too enlightened to learn from us "morons".

Wasn't Grendel's point that you should accept everybody?? Seems easy to me.

Unless, they're rude and obnoxious; which I've come across more times than I can count.

It would be nice to think that people with differences are widely accepted in our society, but, we're not. I'm not because I'm physically disabled, and, the deaf aren't because they're deaf.

It's sad, but, that's unfortunately, reality. I asked in another post at what point do we stop trying to educate people and just leave them to their ignorance?

There will always be ignorant people around us. We just have to figure out the best way to deal with them.

In Grendel's case, it is similar to Shel's when she answered about "growing horns" to someone's thread. I can't find the post.. but both are jokes.

edited, it was "health risks in deaf people".... Grendel is hearing so of course she'll joke about that because she isn't one of those hostile hearing people.

In Grendel's case, it is similar to Shel's when she answered about "growing horns" to someone's thread. I can't find the post.. but both are jokes.

edited, it was "health risks in deaf people".... Grendel is hearing so of course she'll joke about that because she isn't one of those hostile hearing people.

Eh, ok.

Exactly deaf gal. OB, I adore my child. So when asked if hearing people are hostile to the deaf and kind to the blind or those who use wheelchairs, and I answer in a way that indicates hostility towards the child I adore, it's a light-hearted exercise in logic designed to demonstrate that this type of broad hypothesis doesn't work in a micro situation like this and probably shouldn't be applied broadly. That doesn't invalidate the original post, which could very well be based on real observances or experiences: there are some horrible hearing people who are cruel to the deaf. It's just that I don't believe there's an inherent hostility in the general hearing population towards deaf, as opposed to blind or other differences. And I think it hurts us all to interact with each other with that premise left unaddressed.

For example, you are hearing. Because of this, are you cruel to the deaf and kind to those in wheelchairs or who are blind? I don't think so, I think that's painting most people wih a far too broad brush.

The are a lot of people in the world, who do not fully accept someone unless they can speak their language fluently. Sad.

No, I don't think so...there are some hearing people who are hostile to people regardless if hearing, deaf, blind, wheelchair bound or other...they are truly equal opportunity hostile people.

I have to agree with you, blaqueinque. There are lots of hearing people who are really hostile whether normal or not normal like the above statements.

I was watching the Youtube of a wheelchair bound man who was trying to board on the train and he needed help with a couple of employees working on the train to lift him up on the train. He was shocked that they refused to help him and told him to go in the next train later. He was being discriminated because of his handicapped. This was taken in Great Britain (England or Scotland, I don't remember which).

There are other Youtubes proving that there were very hostile to any kind of disabilities no matter what. It happened and still happen all over the world. That is awful and terrible at the way treating us not being human beings. :(

Back