Future SLP looking for interview with someone who wears hearing aids!

mhavhel

Reaction score
Hello! I am studying to be an SLP. One of my assignments requires an interview from three people who wear hearing aids. If you have time to answer 7 quick questions and you fit the above qualification, please take a minute to reply! Thank you so much in advance! It's greatly appreciated!

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?

2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?

3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?

4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?

5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?

7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

Hello! I am studying to be an SLP. One of my assignments requires an interview from three people who wear hearing aids. If you have time to answer 7 quick questions and you fit the above qualification, please take a minute to reply! Thank you so much in advance! It's greatly appreciated!

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids? 55 years

2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?I never suspected a thing! (I was born this way)

3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?All day, unless I am just sitting home alone.

4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?Yes

5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?Not enough bright colors.

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?
Yes
7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?Audiologist
It's boring today, so I choose to answer homework questions...

1. I've had hearing aids for 43 years.

2. My parents noticed when I was a very small child, I wasn't aware of it.

3. All day, only take them out when I go to bed.

4. Yes definitely.

5. None.

6. Yes

7. Audiologist

10 years.

2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?

A year or so. I first went to the local health center, which did not take the issue seriously. Later I brought up the issue at a different doctors appointment and was sent to an ENT and got my first hearing aids.

All the day.

Yes, of course.

None, besides that they naturally don't give normal hearing back.

Yes.

7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer

It's only possible to get hearing aids through an audiologist here.

Since 1983, when I was 23. (32 years)

Complicated: I had otosclerosis probably from birth. I had hearing loss until corrective surgery when I was 13. My left ear remained below normal, my right ear actually was above normal.

In the Army, hearing problems re-emerged. A exam revealed that the prosthetic in my right ear was protruding thru my eardrum, and surgery was done to attempt to fix this and prevent an infection. Ironically, the surgery INTRODUCED an infection, killing the nerve in my right (strong) ear.

3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day? Throughout my waking hours. 16-18 hours.

4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids? Yes. Without them I hear nothing with the normal spoken range of sound, at normal audio levels.

5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids? Feedback. And they still do not capture/replicate all spoken sounds accurately.

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do? Pretty much, yes.

7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer? They were PRESCRIBED by an audiologist. They are PROVIDED by the VA.

Really wish the professors would come up with more creative questions!
Agreed, I think the OP should include the better questions.

How about. What features would you want if you designed a hearing aid.

My Ex for a HA that took 675 batteries so she could use my CI batteries that were covered under the insurance. She didn't but batteries for years.

Also: What advice would you give audiologist when programming HA?
If patient complains it doesn't sound natural, you probably have it set too close to "normal hearing" sometimes you have to take it in steps go from severe to moderate loss Instead of trying to jump from severe to mild or normal hearing range. Will sound more natural for many while still improving on book hearing aid

I have worn hearing aids since I was two years old.
I knew I had hearing loss but did not really understand the seriousness until this past year.

I wear them from the time I get up til I go to bed..approximately 8 -10 hours per day.

I do get benefit from wearing them hearing aids.

For me~ my biggest complaint is that mine is no longer being made and the transition to digital is to expensive and not covered in insurance. I like and prefer my analog hearing aids. I feel that I was not warned and could of acquired a few more pairs to help me. I like the simplicity of what I have. No beeps, no multiple programs.

Yes, I feel my hearing aids have lived up to what they are supposed to do considering its the only brand and pairs that I have.

I got my hearing aids through an audiologist.

Do you realize some people did not even know they were deaf or hoh .
I had no way of knowing I was born HOH b/c I had nothing to go by .

Hello all! I am also studying to be a Speech language pathologist and have an assignment asking the same thing; to interview 3 individuals with hearing aids and ask the following questions. As I noticed this post is a bit dated, would you be so kind as to provide me with updated responses if possible! Thank you so much, this is greatly appreciated as I am taking online classes and would otherwise be unable to complete this assignment!

The questions are;

Do you realize some people did not even know they were deaf or hoh .
I had no way of knowing I was born HOH b/c I had nothing to go by .

Hello all! I am also studying to be a Speech language pathologist and have an assignment asking the same thing; to interview 3 individuals with hearing aids and ask the following questions. As I noticed this post is a bit dated, would you be so kind as to provide me with updated responses if possible! Thank you so much, this is greatly appreciated as I am taking online classes and would otherwise be unable to complete this assignment!

The questions are;

The questions are;

almost as long as I had ears.

HUH ? Did you read what I said in my comment ?

As long as I am awake .
I can't even believe this is a question !

People asking too many questions about my hearing aid.

Damn ! You mean my hearing are actually alive ! So that why it hurt to wear it sometime !

almost as long as I had ears.

HUH ? Did you read what I said in my comment ? - probably not. And why are YOU responding to a resurrected thread? You're always complaining when old threads show up.

As long as I am awake .
I can't even believe this is a question ! - what!?! This is a legitimate question. Some people do not feel they get benefit from their HAs.

People asking too many questions about my hearing aid. - how else are students supposed to learn. Do you want your doctor to only read books and ignore you're input when treating you?

Damn ! You mean my hearing are actually alive ! So that why it hurt to wear it sometime ! - obviously you don't understand "lived up to"
Here, let my educate you.

live up to
phrasal verb of live

1. 1.
    fulfill (expectations).

In post #16

Hmm...

We had new members that didn't stay around for more than a few days b/c they couldn't believe how rude some people are here ! I had PM them and they told me they couldn't stand some members and I was not one of them I never seen so many rude people on a forum before I have used a few of them!

Well, that's contradicting yourself... Bottesini was nice to answer the OP.

I truly appreciate the backup and support from you! Do you have any insight you could offer or a few moments to answer those same questions in what I am sure will be a much more responsive and polite manner?

The questions again are;

Back