for ppl who ask themselves..."what is anime?"

Steel X

Reaction score
I recently came across a comment in a forum claiming Rein the Conqueror wasn't anime based solely on Peter Chung's nationality. This got me thinking. I had no problem considering anime-style comics and animation produced in countries other than Japan "anime," and it came as kind of a shock that other people don't. With the release of the Animatrix and Tokyopop's all American manga compilation, I feel anime has the potential to one day bridge cultures. But this person's statement brings up a crucial point: what is anime? Generally, it's defined as animation that originated in Japan, but such a confining title could stifle this revolution. Also, if children's shows like Crayon Shin-chan are considered anime over in Japan, would Cartoon Network's original animations also become "anime?" How can this art form possibly be defined without insulting someone, and what is anime, really?
Answer:

Since this response has the potential to be misconstrued, allow me to clarify up-front that what follows is a subjective, personal opinion intended to present an argument, but also encourage debate.

Here at AnimeNation, we subscribe to the simple theory that anime is the term for 2D style animation made primarily in Japan and intended primarily for Japanese viewers. By this definition, Alexander Senki (AKA: Reign the Conqueror) is anime because it meets both of the aforementioned criteria. Likewise, Crayon Shin-chan is anime because it is 2D animation made in Japan and intended mainly for Japanese viewers.

Especially among Western fans there's a great deal of concern that a too limited definition of "anime" will exclude non-Japanese creators or, as you've argued, stifle artistic creativity. However, I personally believe that there's simply no alternative available. Sadly, not everyone is born Japanese and not everyone is able to create "anime." Certainly, French food prepared at a restaurant in Los Angeles is still French food, and a Toyota built in Michigan may still be called a Japanese car, but these examples are based in a different linguistic origin than the word "anime." The American term "French food" refers to any food prepared in the style of French chefs. The American term "Japanese car" refers to any car from a manufacturer that originated in Japan. The word "anime," however, is different because it is not an American term.

Critics argue that the word "anime" is used in Japan to refer to all animation regardless of national origin or stylistic character; therefore the word "anime" should also be used in America to refer to all Japanese style animation. This argument, however, is based upon a fatal fallacy. In fact, Japanese natives do not use the word "anime" to refer to all animation. It's true that in Japan the word "anime" is sometimes used to denote American produced animation. But equally as often, Japanese natives, and especially Japanese employees of the animation industry, refer to American animation as "American anime" and Japanese anime as just "anime." Japanese natives, especially Japanese industry professionals, do make distinctions between their native Japanese produced animation and foreign animation imported from South Korea or Europe or America.

Mainstream Japanese media and average Japanese citizens may refer to all animation as "anime," but Japanese industry professionals often do not consider their work similar to Western animation. The argument is essentially this: mainstream Japanese citizens call both Tom & Jerry and Cowboy Bebop anime; therefore Americans should also call Tom & Jerry anime. Laid out as simply as this, it seems clear to me that the Japanese use of the word "anime" has no relation at all to the American definition of the word. The word "anime" simply does not mean the same thing in Japan that it does in America, and in Japan the word "anime" has different meanings depending on whether it's used by the popular culture at large or by a singular representative of the anime industry.

Yes, the word "anime" is a confining and stifling title. However, there's no reason why a confining and stifling title should have any negative effect on the world's artistic community. The world is not fair. Under the present definition, Americans cannot produce anime. That doesn't mean that Americans can't produce animation that's as good as, or better than anime. That doesn't mean that Americans can't produce "anime-style" animation. The Matrix movies are heavily influenced by Japanese animation and Chinese "wuxia" movies, but no one tries to argue that The Matrix is anime or is a Chinese martial arts fantasy movie. But certain fans do seem to feel obligated to make that exact argument if The Matrix is replaced with any example of American animation.

Not everything is anime. Not everything can be anime. Not everything should be anime. The word "anime" is just a term used to make a certain variety of Japanese film-making easier to identify and classify. There's no intrinsic judgment of quality in the word "anime." Just calling something "anime" doesn't automatically make it good. Calling something "anime" just means that it's animated, and it's Japanese. What's more insulting and stifling than limiting the definition of anime to only Japanese animation is trying to impose the classification "anime" on forms of art that may or may not actually warrant such a compartmentalization.

heh...

from what i hear, they say that hentai is an "expression" of free minds, and desires...you show what your desires are, and of course, most ppl's desires are always about sex...so...that's what i heard about it.

so it's just mostly about animated sex...filled with bondage, hardcore, nudity, and wild sex! :naughty: lol

I guess everything, since I don't watch these kind of shit. :dunno:

But I think I need to learn, for my boys' sake! :lol:

Interesting to know about the distinction of the usage of the word "anime" between USA and Japan. Never would have thought about that. We wouldn't normally call Mickey Mouse and Disney "anime" but in Japan, they call it "anime." 258!!!

So, I guess if someone wants to be a purist, one would have to say Japanese animation.

Anime is something that I understand and prefer. There are people who don't understand what anime is and they assume that it's just another kind of cartoon that they should not waste their time watching. Anime is like the real thing but converted into action. It can be serious or funny. They have action, comedy, westerns, martial arts, sci-fi, romance, sex, etc... of all sorts... in anime. It's unlike what you see on Cartoon Central.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
Anime is something that I understand and prefer. There are people who don't understand what anime is and they assume that it's just another kind of cartoon that they should not waste their time watching. Anime is like the real thing but converted into action. It can be serious or funny. They have action, comedy, westerns, martial arts, sci-fi, romance, sex, etc... of all sorts... in anime. It's unlike what you see on Cartoon Central.
EXCELLENT post you've replied there.

Of course, Anime is set into many different kinds of grenes... while most American cartoons include super heroes (like Batman and Superman) and humorous-like creatures (like Bugs Bunny, for example)...but not too many animations from America that were taken into drama, serious voilence, foul language, sex and nudity, and so on...just like the real world you know?

You use "art" as expessing what the real world is like, and what the world would be like in the future (with sci-fi stories of course) and all that...

Trust me...you would NEVER waste even a mintue assuming that anime is just another "cartoon" from the japanese studios...just watch some more and you'll understand.

Not all Animes are kid-friendly or for kids or whatever...

You are still mature enough to watch some animation filled with high voltage of violence, blood and gore, sex and drugs, and so on...

If you seen some animes on Cartoon Network prior to "ToonAnim"...PLEASE don't assume they are the REAL animes you are watching...

alot of animes they show were ALWAYS edited, due to language, blood, and some voilence...

for example, if you seen "Outlaw Star" on Cartoon Network, you'll notice they've skipped ALOT of scenes and parts in the series, and they even skipped the entire espiode 26 due to full length of nudity and sex...and they even cut the scene when a man was attacking a woman unexpectly.

as for "Dragon Ball Z", there were alot of foul language being censored and edited...not too good because the more you edit, the less sense the story will make, you know?

So, please, do NOT assume that they are animes you watched on Cartoon Network because there are MORE than that on the video you rent at a store or buy it or whatever. (the unedited version of course...)

So what i'm saying is, Anime is sort of like a link to real life, showing express of anger, hate, revenge, love, romance, death, life, personalities, sci-fi, western-style stories, drama, comedy, and so on...similar to live action American movies into animation, you know?

It's not really silly to do that though because art is part of entertainment you know? so, that's what i'm trying to say anyway...

Originally posted by ChelEler
I guess everything, since I don't watch these kind of shit. :dunno:

But I think I need to learn, for my boys' sake! :lol:
you are never too old to watch anime :)

Originally posted by Steel
you are never too old to watch anime :)

That is so true.

This is also another pet peeve of mine: Parents who assume anime is for children ONLY! My parents hated anime since the first day I bought and watched my own anime: Bubblegum Crisis 1 - 8. My mom nearly had a heart attack when she saw one of the BGC characters, Priss, get her rock concert outfit on wearing a bra and panties. Please!! If you are one of those parents who think anime if for children only, you should get your head examined and remove that cultural conditioning.

And, I would only rent or buy unedited anime.

:shock: What? Sheesh. Are any of them including violence? I don't want my boys to watch any violence (killing, abusing, etc) too much when growing up.

Another thing why I like some animes is how they express some feelings and thoughts. You can tell sometimes if a person is thinking, embarassed, horny, etc.

Originally posted by ChelEler
:shock: What? Sheesh. Are any of them including violence? I don't want my boys to watch any violence (killing, abusing, etc) too much when growing up.
There are some that don't include that MUCH violence are Poke'mon and Sailor Moon...but they are just for little kids anyway...bleh

if you don't know what poke'mon is, you can check out www.pokemon.com...it been SO friggin' popular ever since it hit the series on the WB kids channel since August 1998.

Ah, I know about Pokemon... didn't realize that it's part of the anime thing. :shock: Doh me. :lol:

There are some that don't include that MUCH violence are Poke'mon and Sailor Moon...but they are just for little kids anyway...bleh

if you don't know what poke'mon is, you can check out www.pokemon.com...it been SO friggin' popular ever since it hit the series on the WB kids channel since August 1998.

ive heard of Pokemon -- my ex lover's son LOVEDDDDD pokemon -- gave me a miniature toy Pikachu (and i had thought Pikachu is cute LOL) and asked me to keep Pikachu in my car which i did for over 2 years -- lately its not popular like before -- today i noticed its Dragon Ball Z or something similar :dunno: since i dont particularly keep track on anime

Yep you would've known Poke'mon on the animated TV series, toys, and even videogames (from Gameboy to Nintendo 64)

and now it's not THAT insanly popular anymore...i mean, it's just too much so right now they are onto "Yu-gi-oh!" the card game tournment animated series...and to be honest, I don't really like that show...too cheezy so i perfer mature-rated animes better though...

Yep you would've known Poke'mon on the animated TV series, toys, and even videogames (from Gameboy to Nintendo 64)

and now it's not THAT insanly popular anymore...i mean, it's just too much so right now they are onto "Yu-gi-oh!" the card game tournment animated series...and to be honest, I don't really like that show...too cheezy so i perfer mature-rated animes better though...

yea i know what u mean Steel -- i watched 1 Pokemon show on tv with my ex's son to find out what exactly it was so i would uddy what hes talking abt LOL -- but yea i recognize pokemon but do not pay attention to it

Back