finally introducing myself i guess...

fushiablue

Reaction score
I am a high school sophomore from Ohio. I'm in choir and band and I love to write fiction and free verse poetry. I am learning sign language as is my boyfriend who thinks it'll make it easier to communicate between the two of us (something is going on with my hearing not sure what but Mom says we will get it checked out soon because I "... can't start driving until it's 'fixed'.") When I graduate high school I plan to go to college and become an audiologist. Not sure should I say anything else I've been rambling on for a while now. Nice to meet you all.

Hi fushiablue,

Welcome to AllDeaf:)

Great that you have someone to study/practice with - that makes a big difference.

See you in the forums!

mm welcome to AD...but I hate to break it to you ..but if you are losing your hearing and its a sensorineural loss..there is no "fix" hearing aids can help but there is no "cure" for deafness...just so you know..

lovezebras- this was my mom's words not mine i understand somewhat how it works i don't want a 'fix'. i'm happy the way i am. bf is pressuring me 2 get hearing aids and mom says ppl that can't hear can't drive (disagree)

lovezebras- this was my mom's words not mine i understand somewhat how it works i don't want a 'fix'. i'm happy the way i am. bf is pressuring me 2 get hearing aids and mom says ppl that can't hear can't drive (disagree)

Tell your mom to read this forum and she will see just how wrong she about HOH and deaf people not being able to drive.

I am a high school sophomore from Ohio. I'm in choir and band and I love to write fiction and free verse poetry. I am learning sign language as is my boyfriend who thinks it'll make it easier to communicate between the two of us (something is going on with my hearing not sure what but Mom says we will get it checked out soon because I "... can't start driving until it's 'fixed'.") When I graduate high school I plan to go to college and become an audiologist. Not sure should I say anything else I've been rambling on for a while now. Nice to meet you all.

Fixed??? You need to educate you're mother about deaf and HoH asap.

Also, I am new here as well, so welcome aboard!

thanks 4 warm welcomes everybuddy (i know it's spelled wrong but it looks friendlier that way). mom is still firm on no driving (ughhhh). she says it's not safe b/cwhat about sirens. i said "um any vehicle with a siren has a flashing light on top" she says i won't see it until it's too late. and 2 stop arguing b/c she is right.

thanks 4 warm welcomes everybuddy (i know it's spelled wrong but it looks friendlier that way). mom is still firm on no driving (ughhhh). she says it's not safe b/c what about sirens. i said "um any vehicle with a siren has a flashing light on top" she says i won't see it until it's too late. and 2 stop arguing b/c she is right.
bf is right with her. he won't let up "oh my gosh when r u gonna get hearing aids so u will b normal again?"..."yeah u shouldn't b on the road"... etc. i'm not anti-hearing aids i think they have their place and it is the individual person's choice. but i just wanna grab them both by the shoulders and shake them around and say "OH MY GOSH SHUT UP U DON'T KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT!!!"

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Well considering all the studies prove that deaf people are actually better and safer drivers ... They're going to have to reconsider they're "assumptions" about hearing and driving.

I can assure you, being deaf as post since birth, I have driven for over 17 years and I am only 35... I had 3 accidents but none of those involves the emergency services. I had a school teacher killed by an ambulance while driving and she was hearing. We have equal risk on the road as everyone else, just more aware with our surroundings. If I see a car in front of me moving away strangely then there's something going on, or the car the opposite side of the road moving away/making room. Use mirrors bit more. I am more aware in my area as I live very close to all emergency services and is on toes until I am out of the zone. Its common sense.

As for your boyfriend, he's no boyfriend if he doesn't accept your hearing loss... By making you get hearing aids just to make it easier for him... Hearing aids won't make it whole a lot difference, acceptance does.

he said in his driver's ed book it reads "persons with any degree of hearing impairment" are not allowed to drive. i disagree with that and think he was making stuff up. i am with all of you guys. usually he was great with the fact that i can't hear him sometimes but lately he has been pressuring me to get hearing aids and they've all been telling me i can't drive. i told her lots of d/Deaf and HoH people drive and are better at it than some if not most hearing people. she said people need to hear to drive. does she realize how many dead silent car trips we've had as a family where nothing made a sound, not even us? it's really bugging me since i can get my permit next week. i said thank u but i cansee fine

thanks 4 warm welcomes everybuddy (i know it's spelled wrong but it looks friendlier that way). mom is still firm on no driving (ughhhh). she says it's not safe b/cwhat about sirens. i said "um any vehicle with a siren has a flashing light on top" she says i won't see it until it's too late. and 2 stop arguing b/c she is right.

Hearing nor the lack of it is a basis for safe driving. Why do you suppose it is legal in the USA for deaf folks to drive?

i know it's legal and she knows it's legal i think maybe she just doesn't want me to start driving

i know it's legal and she knows it's legal i think maybe she just doesn't want me to start driving

I think you nailed it. Not a whole lot you can do until you are a bit older, unless you change her mind about safety. I'll probably use any excuse available to keep my daughter from behind the wheel too when she's a sophomore, junior, maybe even a senior -- teenagers are notoriously bad drivers, and even if you are driving just fine, your friends in the next car may not be.

Once your hearing is fixed, I hope you get a car with turbocharged engine. That is important especially going through all this hassle of getting your ears fixed.

Have you still not gone to the audiologist yet? Your audi will probably tell your mom that deaf and hard of hearing people drive on a daily basis lol He will also explain the loss to you and your mom and what kind it is, ie. conductive or sensorineural...etc

Back