Echo?

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
Sometimes, when I am not wearing my CI, and I talk using my voice, I can hear myself talking, inside my head. It sounds like an echo inside my head. Has anyone ever experienced this? I think it is very weird. I shouldn't be able to hear my voice without the CI on. I can't hear other people's voices nor can I hear anything else without the CI, but I can hear myself talking inside my head. Very echo-like. :wtf:

Sounds like you may have fluids in your ears... I can hear myself when i am in the bath!! or when i have ear infections (fluidy ears)

Is it ongoing problem or had it just came on?

lucia,

i don't mean to scare you, but it sounds as if you may be experiencing auditory hallucinations.

after my first and second ci surgeries, i could also hear myself talk inside my head.

in addition, i could hear the voices of my family, friends and strangers.

doctors confirmed that i was having auditory hallucinations due to the complete loss of my residual hearing in both ears.

lucia,

i don't mean to scare you, but it sounds as if you may be experiencing auditory hallucinations.

Nah. I only hear the echo when I am actually talking.
after my first and second ci surgeries, i could also hear myself talk inside my head.

in addition, i could hear the voices of my family, friends and strangers.

I don't hear any other voices without my CI on.

doctors confirmed that i was having auditory hallucinations due to the complete loss of my residual hearing in both ears.

I could ask my CI audiologist or CI surgeon and see what they think, but I highly doubt that I am having auditory hallucinations because I only hear the echo when I am actually talking. When I stop talking, the echo stops. I don't ever hear the echo any other time.

Sounds like you may have fluids in your ears... I can hear myself when i am in the bath!! or when i have ear infections (fluidy ears)

Is it ongoing problem or had it just came on?

If I had fluids inside my head I'd be dizzy. I'm not dizzy.

i have no idea what it could be then. hmmm. i'd talk to your ci audi and/or surgeon. perhaps they can tell you what is going on and why. let us know what you find out.

i have no idea what it could be then. hmmm. i'd talk to your ci audi and/or surgeon. perhaps they can tell you what is going on and why. let us know what you find out.

Yeah, I'll call my CI audiologist and surgeon on Monday. I'll keep you posted!

Maybe it has something to do with hearing through bone conduction or something?

my ci audi told me that when someone is totally deaf, they don't hear via bone conduction. i know when i had both ears tested without ci via bone conduction, there was no response.

Believe it or not,
I can hear the shower door close and the hiss of the shower running in the morning with my CI off.

Remember that the CI is electrically stimulating the nerve inside the cochlea.
Maybe this stimulation is excercising the nerves and brain response to the signals. If you still have your outer, middle and inner ear, there may be a possibility that they may still work a little. The vibration in your voice may just be enough for either the fluid inside the cochlea to more or the fluid to move the electrode wire just enough to make the hair to move and ever so slightly stimulate the nerve and give you the ability to hear.

I don't know, just my $0.02.

I have heard that some can still hear a little even after a CI implantation in the ear that was implanted.

Steve

Believe it or not,
I can hear the shower door close and the hiss of the shower running in the morning with my CI off.

Remember that the CI is electrically stimulating the nerve inside the cochlea.
Maybe this stimulation is excercising the nerves and brain response to the signals. If you still have your outer, middle and inner ear, there may be a possibility that they may still work a little. The vibration in your voice may just be enough for either the fluid inside the cochlea to more or the fluid to move the electrode wire just enough to make the hair to move and ever so slightly stimulate the nerve and give you the ability to hear.

I don't know, just my $0.02.

I have heard that some can still hear a little even after a CI implantation in the ear that was implanted.

Steve

I think you're talking about residual hearing still being intact after CI implanation.

When the CI processor is 'off', there can't be electrical stimulation because it has nothing (processor) 'on' to stimulate the implant electrodes to make any sounds.

This must be something apart from this. It's interesting if it's something aside from residual hearing being intact after CI implantation.

Did you hear the shower door and shower hiss before your CI implantation without hearing aids?

I think you're talking about residual hearing still being intact after CI implanation.

When the CI processor is 'off', there can't be electrical stimulation because it has nothing (processor) 'on' to stimulate the implant electrodes to make any sounds.

This must be something apart from this. It's interesting if it's something aside from residual hearing being intact after CI implantation.

Did you hear the shower door and shower hiss before your CI implantation without hearing aids?

exactly. i wonder if lucia's residual hearing is beginning to come back? i have heard of some ci users whose residual hearing gradually returned following surgery.

as for myself, i'm still totally deaf in both ears without my ci's.

my ci audi told me that when someone is totally deaf, they don't hear via bone conduction. i know when i had both ears tested without ci via bone conduction, there was no response.

Exactly, Hear Again. I've talked to Lucia before and she gave me no indication whatsoever that her loss was conductive. According to her, she was deafened in infancy as the result of chicken pox. She also received no benefit from her HAs starting from around the age of 9. There's absolutely NO way that she heard via bone conduction.

Exactly, Hear Again. I've talked to Lucia before and she gave me no indication whatsoever that her loss was conductive. According to her, she was deafened in infancy as the result of chicken pox. She also received no benefit from her HAs starting from around the age of 9. There's absolutely NO way that she heard via bone conduction.

in that case, you can completely disregard my post above regarding residual hearing. i'm totally stumped on this one and don't have the foggiest idea as to what could be happening to lucia.

in that case, you can completely disregard my post above regarding residual hearing. i'm totally stumped on this one and don't have the foggiest idea as to what could be happening to lucia.

Right. She has no residual hearing, either.

exactly. i wonder if lucia's residual hearing is beginning to come back? i have heard of some ci users whose residual hearing gradually returned following surgery.

as for myself, i'm still totally deaf in both ears without my ci's.

I haven't had any residual hearing since I was about 9 years old.

Exactly, Hear Again. I've talked to Lucia before and she gave me no indication whatsoever that her loss was conductive.
Oceanbreeze, I know that Lucia's loss is SN. However, I was simply throwing a theroy out there that perhaps she was somehow hearing through bone conduction. Like maybe her body was using bone conduction as an "alternative" way to "hear" Make sense now?

The returning of the residual hearing is possible, but I mean I thought that Lucia was basicly pretty much deaf instead of more functionally hoh as a child. If her residual hearing was returning wouldn't it mimic her orgional residual hearing patterns? Lucia...just wondering....what exactly are you hearing? It's kind of unclear...like are you hearing that you can tell there's voice (many deaf people can tell if someone's talking even if they can't discriminate the speech) or can you detect the words? Just wondering.

Back