Echo?

When you have heard from your ci aud and surgeon please let us know. Hope everthing is ok, Lucia!

Oceanbreeze, I know that Lucia's loss is SN. However, I was simply throwing a theroy out there that perhaps she was somehow hearing through bone conduction. Like maybe her body was using bone conduction as an "alternative" way to "hear" Make sense now?
The returning of the residual hearing is possible, but I mean I thought that Lucia was basicly pretty much deaf instead of more functionally hoh as a child. If her residual hearing was returning wouldn't it mimic her orgional residual hearing patterns? Lucia...just wondering....what exactly are you hearing? It's kind of unclear...like are you hearing that you can tell there's voice (many deaf people can tell if someone's talking even if they can't discriminate the speech) or can you detect the words? Just wondering.

No, it doesn't. If you read up, you'll see that Lucia herself said she hasn't had residual hearing since she was 9. I think that pretty much debunks the theory that she's "hearing" via bone conduction.

besides, if a person is totally deaf, they *can't* hear via bone conduction.

True. In your case and in Lucia's, you both hear with your CI(s). The sound is generated from the auditory nerve and converted into electrical impulses thru the CI. (or the reverse?). At any rate, take the CI off and you can't hear a thing unless you're one of the lucky ones who was able to retain some residual hearing after implantation.

True. In your case and in Lucia's, you both hear with your CI(s). The sound is generated from the auditory nerve and converted into electrical impulses thru the CI. (or the reverse?). At any rate, take the CI off and you can't hear a thing unless you're one of the lucky ones who was able to retain some residual hearing after implantation.

exactly.

Oceanbreeze, I know that Lucia's loss is SN. However, I was simply throwing a theroy out there that perhaps she was somehow hearing through bone conduction. Like maybe her body was using bone conduction as an "alternative" way to "hear" Make sense now?

The returning of the residual hearing is possible, but I mean I thought that Lucia was basicly pretty much deaf instead of more functionally hoh as a child. If her residual hearing was returning wouldn't it mimic her orgional residual hearing patterns? Lucia...just wondering....what exactly are you hearing? It's kind of unclear...like are you hearing that you can tell there's voice (many deaf people can tell if someone's talking even if they can't discriminate the speech) or can you detect the words? Just wondering.

I hear my own voice when I talk.

I hear my own voice when I talk.

that is really strange, lucia. i wonder why that is? have you had the chance to speak to your ci surgeon and ci audi yet? i also wonder if your auditory memory is reproducing the sound of your voice making you think that you're actually hearing it? hmmm.

that is really strange, lucia. i wonder why that is? have you had the chance to speak to your ci surgeon and ci audi yet? i also wonder if your auditory memory is reproducing the sound of your voice making you think that you're actually hearing it? hmmm.

I never got around to calling my CI surgeon and audiologist, but I will tomorrow after I get home.

I talked to a friend of mine who also has a CI, and she says she experiences the same thing as me. We both find it odd. Oh well.

I never got around to calling my CI surgeon and audiologist, but I will tomorrow after I get home.

I talked to a friend of mine who also has a CI, and she says she experiences the same thing as me. We both find it odd. Oh well.

that's good. let us know what you find out because i'm really curious about what could be happening.

i assume your friend doesn't have any residual hearing either?

I think I may have found a solution, at least for now, for the echo. I realized I have just a teeny-tiny bit of residual hearing, not enough for environmental sounds or speech or anything useful, but just enough for the highest volume on my MP3 player, in my right ear (non-implanted ear) so I put my ear buds in and it stopped the echo. Thank goodness. It was so fucking annoying. The echo wasn't letting me think. I can hear the MP3 player just a tiny bit, very very lightly, very soft, but it was good enough to stop the echo. Thank goodness for uber-loud MP3 players. :D

I think I may have found a solution, at least for now, for the echo. I realized I have just a teeny-tiny bit of residual hearing, not enough for environmental sounds or speech or anything useful, but just enough for the highest volume on my MP3 player, in my right ear (non-implanted ear) so I put my ear buds in and it stopped the echo. Thank goodness. It was so fucking annoying. The echo wasn't letting me think. I can hear the MP3 player just a tiny bit, very very lightly, very soft, but it was good enough to stop the echo. Thank goodness for uber-loud MP3 players. :D

oh, wow lucia. i thought that you might have a very, very, very small amount of residual hearing because i don't know where else the echo could have come from.

at any rate, i'm glad it's no longer bothering you.

by the way, could you check your pm? i just sent you a message. there's no rush. feel free to respond when you can.

oh, wow lucia. i thought that you might have a very, very, very small amount of residual hearing because i don't know where else the echo could have come from.

at any rate, i'm glad it's no longer bothering you.

by the way, could you check your pm? i just sent you a message. there's no rush. feel free to respond when you can.

Thanks.

I already responded to your PM.

Back