Does CI affect some nerves?

There are some 70,000 people in the U.S. who have CIs. How many does Shel see? Even 10? :wave:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Facial nerve damage is common. The location of the facial nerve creates a substantial risk.

As the facial nerve is monitored continuously through the surgery, facial nerve damage is actually pretty rare.
Rick

Well Shel, you participated in this discussion with no problem earlier, didn't you?
And you do have more experience with CI children, don't you, comparing to some of us.

I for one, would be interested in your opinion - so, how many CI children
have you seen with "damaged nerves", please?

Fuzzy

Have you ever thought about getting a CI?

Well Shel, you participated in this discussion with no problem earlier, didn't you?
And you do have more experience with CI children, don't you, comparing to some of us.

I for one, would be interested in your opinion - so, how many CI children
have you seen with "damaged nerves", please?

Fuzzy

Good point she seems to have no qualms posting all over AD about how she hates those F****** cis and the ignorant hearing parents of kids with those F******* cis (Wonder if the parents of her ci students know how she actually feels about them?) but when asked to refute something negative about those F********* cis, she suddenly has nothing to say. Just like how she never talks about her students who are actually doing well with their F******* cis.

But in reality, given her anti-ci bias she is the last person, no wait, the next to last (forgot about her leader) to offer a credible opinion as to those F********* cis.

I will tell you that based on my experiences which far exceeds hers, while I do not personally know anyone who sustained permanent facial nerve damage I am aware of a few who had temporary nerve damage and a few who experienced twitching during mappings but had it corrected through the mapping procedure.

Rick

Good point she seems to have no qualms posting all over AD about how she hates those F****** cis and the ignorant hearing parents of kids with those F******* cis (Wonder if the parents of her ci students know how she actually feels about them?) but when asked to refute something negative about those F********* cis, she suddenly has nothing to say. Just like how she never talks about her students who are actually doing well with their F******* cis.

But in reality, given her anti-ci bias she is the last person, no wait, the next to last (forgot about her leader) to offer a credible opinion as to those F********* cis.

I will tell you that based on my experiences which far exceeds hers, while I do not personally know anyone who sustained permanent facial nerve damage I am aware of a few who had temporary nerve damage and a few who experienced twitching during mappings but had it corrected through the mapping procedure.

Rick

:eek3:

i forget about my college buddy. I hate hate hate using him as an example. He's a very brilliant guy during our college year. He's a very awesome guy. I could not find any picture of him but this one. I can understand that he has his moment about having a CI that damaged his nerves in his own face.

here is the proof. but this youtube is about the opposite idea but dont mind his story about youtube. seriously take a look at his face which is true that caused by doctor performed CI.

My Son Is Deaf, Finally! (Subtitled) - YouTube

I remember him the first year and his sign skill was fair but now i saw his youtube and his sign skill is much different than 20 yrs ago. He grew up as an deaf oral boy with CI.

i forget about my college buddy. I hate hate hate using him as an example. He's a very brilliant guy during our college year. He's a very awesome guy. I could not find any picture of him but this one. I can understand that he has his moment about having a CI that damaged his nerves in his own face.

here is the proof. but this youtube is about the opposite idea but dont mind his story about youtube. seriously take a look at his face which is true that caused by doctor performed CI.

My Son Is Deaf, Finally! (Subtitled) - YouTube

I remember him the first year and his sign skill was fair but now i saw his youtube and his sign skill is much different than 20 yrs ago. He grew up as an deaf oral boy with CI.

Nah, that video is the perfect example. :cool2:

Cloggy and Rick... :roll:

I know the story about mother and her son both had CI surgeries. Her son eventually had some severe CI issues that lead to near death. Turned out they both have genetics disorder, so they sued CI company for punitive damages because they were misleading by a CI company that CI could cure their Deafness and whatnots. Their CIs were removed at the expenses of CI company due to the court order.

True story. I am not bullshitting you.

Yes indeed you did and if you had checked your source you would have known it is outdated, in fact its ten years old:

NIH Publication No. 00-4393
April 2000
Updated October 2002

And it was so nice of you to cite your source... (sarcasm intended)

Yes indeed you did and if you had checked your source you would have known it is outdated, in fact its ten years old:

Rick, I got the 70,000 from the very link I gave you: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/coch.aspx

On their very home page, quoted is:

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as of December 2010, approximately 219,000 people worldwide have received implants. In the United States, roughly 42,600 adults and 28,400 children have received them.

In December 2010, that's 70,000. That's 14 months ago.

Rick, I got the 70,000 from the very link I gave you: Cochlear Implants

On their very home page, quoted is:

In December 2010, that's 70,000. That's 14 months ago.

Meh. I know quite a few people who quit using their CI's. It seems about a third of them did that, so those numbers are questionable to me at least.

Right. I don't really care whether its 70,000 or 100,000 as Rick said. They are calling on Shel to discuss how many kids she's seen with surgical issues, and Shel is a teacher to what, 10 of those many thousands? They don't need to be picking on Shel for the mere few kids she sees.

Meh. I know quite a few people who quit using their CI's. It seems about a third of them did that, so those numbers are questionable to me at least.

True that!...Several intrepretors have told me that so many of their clients took their CI off...would not even wear them. For what reasons, I don't know. :hmm:

I personally know of a deaf father and mother who had their son get CI. The parents are also CI users, too, and Deaf.

There are some 70,000 people in the U.S. who have CIs. How many does Shel see? Even 10? :wave:

Excuse me, but Shel had no problem referring to these children when she was saying this:

I never noticed that with any of the children with CIs that I have worked with... Usually if a noise is too loud, they would inform the school's audiologist but I work with the older ones. My brother's girlfriend is a PreK teacher at the same deaf program I work at. I can ask her about the little ones.

Still, for me even referring to just 10 from her own experience,
is good enough.

Fuzzy

Right. I don't really care whether its 70,000 or 100,000 as Rick said. They are calling on Shel to discuss how many kids she's seen with surgical issues, and Shel is a teacher to what, 10 of those many thousands? They don't need to be picking on Shel for the mere few kids she sees.

Who is picking and why? We are just asking normal, valid question.
She has certain authority in the matter since she IS a teacher, she IS with direct contact with a number of CI kids, (longer and more than you or me probably)
and thus she does have first hand information on the subject.

Asking her for information on this is NOT picking.

Fuzzy

Back