Do you miss....

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Put anything in here related what you miss the features in vehicles that no longer exist.

I miss the 3rd row seats that were mounted backwards in old station wagons. I loved watching cars in the back or the scenery as well.

Put anything in here related what you miss the features in vehicles that no longer exist.

I miss the 3rd row seats that were mounted backwards in old station wagons. I loved watching cars in the back or the scenery as well.

lol!!!

Oh yea! I remembered that old station wagon! Yea I remembered riding in one, and love to watch people/cars/trucks etc goes by! :)

Can't think of anything what I do miss the most ha! Probably nothing....

I remember how big the vans used to be back then and how you could fit a table, some chairs and such into it. You could make a mini-RV out of it without all the appliances.

Not so much a matter of missing it but do any of you remember the "Autronic Eye" (sp?) the General Motors offered by in the 1950's? It would dim your headlights when meeting another car (there were a lot of two lane roads back then). They discontinued it after so many reflective billboards came out that there was a problem with it dimming the lights when coming upon one of those billboards.

Not so much a matter of missing it but do any of you remember the "Autronic Eye" (sp?) the General Motors offered by in the 1950's? It would dim your headlights when meeting another car (there were a lot of two lane roads back then). They discontinued it after so many reflective billboards came out that there was a problem with it dimming the lights when coming upon one of those billboards.

New to me.

1952 Oldsmobile Autronic Eye Foldout-rear

Cool!

got life insurance? :giggle:

c32cca52_rear-ended.jpeg

phoca_thumb_l_1262463087_1960_Saab_95_station_wagon_rear_facing_third_row_seat.jpg

yea of course it was a safety issue but was pretty cool back then.

Decent build quality and over engineered components as oppose to the stuff on cars now that lasts until just after the warranty runs out

I do miss my Dodge 8-passenger van!...It was stolen and totaled...at the time, I had 4 dogs and 3 young boys...had plenty of room to go fishing, to the park for a picnic...even sleep in it....

I miss my Dad's red 1977 Chevy Impala wagon. It was a 9 passenger wagon. As a kid, I did not know any better. Riding in 3rd row seat was a lot of fun!!

Also, when I was a kid, my Grandma had a white 1974 Cutlass 4 door sedan. I googled and found a picture of a car like it. Look at the curve on the door. It's available on 4 door sedans, not the 2 door version.

Redirect Notice

PLUS, as a kid, my Grandpa had a 1974 or 1975 Ram Charger and then a 1979 Cherokee. Therefore, when I was a kid, I had always thought you either had a 4 wheel drive or you did not.

It was not until my Grandpa bought a brand new 1988 Grand Wagoneer that had a 2wd/4wd switch. I wanted to play with it, but Grandpa would not let me play with it. As a 11 year old kid, I thought that was a cool gadget!!

I remember my dad's 68' or 69' woody Ford stationwagon that can hold 16 people because front, mid-section and rear are bench seats. On rear "trunk" section, it have flip up seat that holds 4 people. It is on both side of the trunk. It was made for kids to sit on, If adult sit on, it'll be like sitting on small tricycle because the sub-floor is shallow.

My brother mentioned about my mom's 1967 Ford Mustang convertible had a "special" carburetor that have switch on its side that allow you to switch 2 barrel or 4 barrel (he said it's 4 barrel carb itself). He played with it and drove it. He noticed big difference on performance. I don't know if he was joking or serious about it. It sound like some kind of "Venri Fuel bypass" switch.

1967 Ford Mustang have blinker inside of hood notches (on top of hood but looks like backward "air scoops") so you can see through windshield instead of dashboard when you turn a signaller.

My ex-girlfriend used to have 1979 AMC Matador that have "Good-Bad" fuel economy meter. If you go easy on gas, needle point to "good" and if you floor the gas pedal, it'll point to "Bad" .. we had fun playing with it for short time. I also missed her slickest power steering wheel that when I turned left or right, it felt really nothing, no drag feeling commonly on all power steering. I actually thought it was broken but when I spun hard till it stopped on end quickly, the car swerved on a dime ( were driving 15mph). Dang soooo slick!!!

I missed big is the 3 speed Column shifter on my 67' Chevy truck also friend's 1966 AMC Rambler too. They discontinued because of safety issue, they stopped in 1973. If you shift sloppily, it'll locks gears (actually two gears would engage same time instead of one) causing all drive-train locks up and you'll lose control on highway unless you slam the clutch pedal to prevent lock up and allow you to pull over and go under the hood and shake the shifter linkage to loosen it. It happens me 4 times in one year. It's nothing to me cuz I have common sense knowing what to do if it locks up. The reason why I missed because I don't have to worry slamming floor shift knob into someone's crouch :eek2: :ugh: and bench seat was much roomier without floor shifter. My truck front bench seat holds 4 people but it can holds 5 people if one kid sit in tight spot.

Catty

I remember my dad's 68' or 69' woody Ford stationwagon that can hold 16 people because front, mid-section and rear are bench seats. On rear "trunk" section, it have flip up seat that holds 4 people. It is on both side of the trunk. It was made for kids to sit on, If adult sit on, it'll be like sitting on small tricycle because the sub-floor is shallow.

My brother mentioned about my mom's 1967 Ford Mustang convertible had a "special" carburetor that have switch on its side that allow you to switch 2 barrel or 4 barrel (he said it's 4 barrel carb itself). He played with it and drove it. He noticed big difference on performance. I don't know if he was joking or serious about it. It sound like some kind of "Venri Fuel bypass" switch.

1967 Ford Mustang have blinker inside of hood notches (on top of hood but looks like backward "air scoops") so you can see through windshield instead of dashboard when you turn a signaller.

My ex-girlfriend used to have 1979 AMC Matador that have "Good-Bad" fuel economy meter. If you go easy on gas, needle point to "good" and if you floor the gas pedal, it'll point to "Bad" .. we had fun playing with it for short time. I also missed her slickest power steering wheel that when I turned left or right, it felt really nothing, no drag feeling commonly on all power steering. I actually thought it was broken but when I spun hard till it stopped on end quickly, the car swerved on a dime ( were driving 15mph). Dang soooo slick!!!

I missed big is the 3 speed Column shifter on my 67' Chevy truck also friend's 1966 AMC Rambler too. They discontinued because of safety issue, they stopped in 1973. If you shift sloppily, it'll locks gears (actually two gears would engage same time instead of one) causing all drive-train locks up and you'll lose control on highway unless you slam the clutch pedal to prevent lock up and allow you to pull over and go under the hood and shake the shifter linkage to loosen it. It happens me 4 times in one year. It's nothing to me cuz I have common sense knowing what to do if it locks up. The reason why I missed because I don't have to worry slamming floor shift knob into someone's crouch :eek2: :ugh: and bench seat was much roomier without floor shifter. My truck front bench seat holds 4 people but it can holds 5 people if one kid sit in tight spot.

Catty

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=_UwST9XfOdSHsAK5oKHRAw

Look at first picture. :laugh2:

:lol:

I am sure no one would believe me regarding to "special" mustang carburetor. But my brother did played with it. The driver slammed the side of mustang and damaging the side fender. It was easily repairable but my dad decide to sell it to teenage kid. My brother was pissed with my dad but here's one thing, it belongs to my mom. Several months later. He went to junkyard to get parts for his VW bug. He came across SAME mustang and confirmed it used to be ours and it was totalled. He said that both side door was smashed so apparently kid drove through stop light and cars both side slammed against mustang. He was even more pissed and in tear, blaming my dad selling it even if mustang is easily fixable. He wish he had grabbed carburetor when he had chance.

My friends think it's some kind of illegal carburetor that it had in mustang. My mom bought it used so apparently the former owner installed it. I guess it's lost for good. If my brother ever grabbed it from junk yard and would have kept it. It may fetch big $$$ for this. I admit I never saw what it look like that's why I wasn't sure if he's joking at me or serious but he was serious with me. :shrug:

Catty

:lol:

I am sure no one would believe me regarding to "special" mustang carburetor. But my brother did played with it. The driver slammed the side of mustang and damaging the side fender. It was easily repairable but my dad decide to sell it to teenage kid. My brother was pissed with my dad but here's one thing, it belongs to my mom. Several months later. He went to junkyard to get parts for his VW bug. He came across SAME mustang and confirmed it used to be ours and it was totalled. He said that both side door was smashed so apparently kid drove through stop light and cars both side slammed against mustang. He was even more pissed and in tear, blaming my dad selling it even if mustang is easily fixable. He wish he had grabbed carburetor when he had chance.

My friends think it's some kind of illegal carburetor that it had in mustang. My mom bought it used so apparently the former owner installed it. I guess it's lost for good. If my brother ever grabbed it from junk yard and would have kept it. It may fetch big $$$ for this. I admit I never saw what it look like that's why I wasn't sure if he's joking at me or serious but he was serious with me. :shrug:

Catty

Variable Venturi Carburetor? I think you talks about it. All the 4 barrel carburetors with fixed venturis, have primary throttle plates for idling or cruising and secondary throttle plates for WOT...

Bye bye Car on frame! 2011 Crown Victoria is the last model car that got body on the frame.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Diehardbiker, they still produce new ones for police use onlu, I think. Yes, you may be right that there is no longer sedans with frame. Only still exist in some large suvs and most pick up trucks. Honda Ridgeline uses unibody version. They say its not designed for heavy duty use.

Variable Venturi Carburetor? I think you talks about it. All the 4 barrel carburetors with fixed venturis, have primary throttle plates for idling or cruising and secondary throttle plates for WOT...

Umh I know u have lot experience with carburetor. I wish my brother either kept it or took picture of carburetor that have mechanical switch. He was sounding like some kind of fuel bypass petcock that controls fuel flow to two or four venturi. Does it make sense to you? If it doesnt make sense to you. Thats no problem. I do have doubt with him like I mentioned on my first post. Unless he come up with name or type of carburetor that have one to prove me. He is 1,300 miles away from me and always busy.

Smile
Catty

Umh I know u have lot experience with carburetor. I wish my brother either kept it or took picture of carburetor that have mechanical switch. He was sounding like some kind of fuel bypass petcock that controls fuel flow to two or four venturi. Does it make sense to you? If it doesnt make sense to you. Thats no problem. I do have doubt with him like I mentioned on my first post. Unless he come up with name or type of carburetor that have one to prove me. He is 1,300 miles away from me and always busy.

Smile
Catty

On Rochester 4 barrel carbs uses 2 venturis in primary(small bores) where the 2- air/fuel mixture screws are used. Holley 4 barrel carbs have 4 venturis I think.... I am not sure if they uses 4-air/fuel mixture screws. I forget the Holley carburetors for long time cuz I used to overhauling or adjusting the Rochester carbs that related to the failed emission inspection in about 20 years ago, not much work on Holley carbs. I love Holley carbs but expensive.

I miss my brother's white Fiat Spyder. What I do not miss is the car's ability to break down at some pretty inconvenient times. :P He used to drive me while we listened to Rock and Roll either to VA Beach or to William and Mary in Williamsburg in his car.

1975-fiat-spider.jpg

Back