do u find it hard being hoh in the real world?

I don't find life to be difficult at all.

Sometimes, but not always. Life, for the most part, is pretty good.

Please allow me to use this post, I mean no disrespect at all.

In another post you describe yourself as "profound deaf", and I think you are. However, here you answer a "H.O.H." question.
Like you, I'm profound, as determine by audiologist (left--108dB and right--105dB) but since I'm oral, and I do use and teach ASL, the deaf refere to me as "H.O.H."

This goes to show, that within deaf culture the label on a person is not the amount of hearing lost but the communication ability

For me, being profound is not a problem at all. Only harm I suffer is from ADA.

What's ADA?

And are you saying that despite you use and teach ASL, that because you're oral makes you HOH in Deaf Culture? And that they label you as such because you have greater communication ability than them?

Like Banjo, my life isnt difficult at all. Probably because I dont worry about trying to "fit" in the hearing world as much as I used to.

I never said I had a greater communication ability, only that I'm oral but capable of holding my own with ASL.

Yes, I've found myself being labeled H.O.H., even after explaining the level of hearing lost I have. My point would be that within deaf culture anyone who is oral can not be labeled "deaf"but are H.O.H.

My second point is that ADA is so week and confusing that it is more of a harm to the deaf than a benefit.

It means if you can speak orally you can not be labeled "deaf"

Hence, which has always been confusing to me! I've been deaf since age 14, but never stopped "talking", after being told by a teacher, that if I did, I would "forget how"......this was at a deaf school, and I was not allowed to sign in class.

So, in some cases, I've been labeled as a "hearie", since I'm oral and lipread, even tho' I'm totally deaf, for 50 years....Many, many times, deafies have asked "is she hearing?"

I dislike the "labeling"...I'm not HOH, not a hearie, I'm deaf, an oral deafie. I would not encourage anyone who is LD to stop talking, or going "voice off". I feel they would have an easier time communicating with hearies, using their voices, and learning ASL also (as I did).

Hence, which has always been confusing to me! I've been deaf since age 14, but never stopped "talking", after being told by a teacher, that if I did, I would "forget how"......this was at a deaf school, and I was not allowed to sign in class.

So, in some cases, I've been labeled as a "hearie", since I'm oral and lipread, even tho' I'm totally deaf, for 50 years....Many, many times, deafies have asked "is she hearing?"

I dislike the "labeling"...I'm not HOH, not a hearie, I'm deaf, an oral deafie. I would not encourage anyone who is LD to stop talking, or going "voice off". I feel they would have an easier time communicating with hearies, using their voices, and learning ASL also (as I did).

I think it's whatever you're comfortable with. What others think are not that critically important. I can see that I'm a deaf person but I also see myself as hoh, person, too. Why do others get upset on how you see yourself as? Really.

It can be hard sometime... but usually not. The only problem I have is that there are hearing people who would say something to you then later, when you know what they said, they would say... "oh no... you didn't hear what I said". I really hate that!

Never really had a problem.....there is the occassional difficulty but I have always viewed difficulties as opportunities. Difficulty makes life fun that way.

For those of us deafies that were born deaf, have no speech and cannot lipread, I'm sure they will have much more difficulty in dealing with the hearing world....For those who are late-deafened, wear HA and can hear somewhat with them, CI's, and can lipread, some "understandable" speech seems it would be "less" difficult...

I am surprised that the way you speak it for some of us either deaf or hoh, but it is your opinion. For me, i don't see any difficult such as did i get furious or do i feel struggle to talk to hearing people, nope. I grew up and found my way of communcating with hearing people in many methods. Sure it is not the same level as hearing commucation methods but do i find it so difficult. No.

I suggest not to speak for some of us whose have no speech or lipread referring to the difficulty commucation methods. Deaf oral or HOH with speech and lipread skill DO find it difficulty aslo. That is no difference for those deaf or hoh with no speech or lipread skills.

friendly reminder, those some of deafies who were born profoundly deaf do have speech or lipread skill, not always for late deafened.

MY BULLSH*T meter is going mental in todays Deaf society yes can speak and be Deaf

Much like She90, there is a misunderstanding of terms here.
My position is you can be deaf, even profound deaf, and still be oral.
However, deaf culture is of opinion that real deaf only use ASL.

HERE IS A SITUATION AS AN EXAMPLE

Deaf A and Deaf B are signing in total ASL, being they are close acquaintances.
Apart from them, is Deaf C, who is signing to other deaf in a different group.
Deaf C is well known to Deaf A, as they have signed together before. Deaf B has no knowledge of who Deaf C is and ask Deaf A.
Because Deaf A knows that Deaf C often is seen speaking to hearing people and is, therefore oral, Deaf A describes Deaf C being H.O.H.
HOWEVER, it is a fact that Deaf C has more hearing lost than both Deaf A and Deaf B.

Deaf do not go up to each other and say: "What does your hearing test say your lost is?" Which is my point to DeafCarolin, hearing level has nothing to do with how a person is labeled within deaf culture. A person can be profound deaf and still be labeled H.O.H.

Ok, that's fine. People can label me whatever they want, I know what I am and it's good enough for me. :)

Back