Deaf Police Officer

I've always wanted to be a police officer on the street....seriously...

I graduated from the Sheriff's Citizen Academy....

:welcome: back to AllDeaf forum. Sorry about my blunt remark on advice to Deaf people who want to become a police officer or Deputy as I don't know much about. I am very happy that you are all right and have a hard time with Katrina. I understand your situation and hope you will recover with the getting yourself settled down with the new home. We miss you, too. I hope we will not have another hurricane again but again it might. :ugh:

Hi All :
Just wanted to check in and ask for everyone's prayers. We are facing some tough days ahead .
Gustav looks like a true meany and there are many souls that will need your prayers throughout the entire Gulf Coast region.
I will get back to y'all when this thng clears.
Ever tell y'all how much I admire all of you ? I do....
Y'all give me the inspiration to keep at the impossible tasks. My cat. Poochie will be with my husband ..so, no more replays of Katrina. People are being allowed to keep their pets in crates, etc. Everybody looks like they are getting out earlier.
(CAT 5 !! They'd better leave ..ya kno !)
The mayor told everyone, if they didn't leave after Sunday night there will be no emergency services in the city... no services at all. I'll be on the North Shore hopefully away from the Storm Surge..across the lake from NOLA.
Thanks for the prayers..can you imagine ? we're going through this again on the anniversary of Katrina ???
Did y'all hear Michael Moore the film maker..he told the world that Gustav is a blessing from God ??? He doesn't like the Republicans..huh ?
He is making a case for me to vote against whomever he supports.
Yow , what a jerk ? He should be down here with us, don'cha think ?
Anyhoo, there are some wonderful folks down this way that could use your positive thoughts and prayers. Some are afraid, elderly and have no one .... it is a tough thing to go through with friends and family around. But, to be alone and among strangers...
Love to all and thanks for your great determination to aspire for more...
Susie
Love to ALL

Y'all :
Oh yeah , I have a laptop with me ..I'll try to keep y'all informed of what's going on in real time. That will only work, if we get any signals from the tower. Last time the towers were all blown down pretty quick..

Here's a good weather site to watch this monster:

Tropical Storm: Tracking Map : Weather Underground
Thanks for your prayers , Susie

HI Y'all :
We're ready ..just finished at the shelters for today.
They all are full to capacity. The Special Needs Shelter
at SLU still has some openings...
The weather's starting to give a little kick. so y'all be safe....
Here's a weather information site for y'all..ain't that kool !?
The storm will hit us with tropic storm winds around midnight and then,
Gustav should make landfall around 2 p.m. tomorrow.
Don't forget some prayers for us while you are saying your prayers.
Thanks and Love , Susie

Deaf Weather™

HI Y'all :
We're ready ..just finished at the shelters for today.
They all are full to capacity. The Special Needs Shelter
at SLU still has some openings...
The weather's starting to give a little kick. so y'all be safe....
Here's a weather information site for y'all..ain't that kool !?
The storm will hit us with tropic storm winds around midnight and then,
Gustav should make landfall around 2 p.m. tomorrow.
Don't forget some prayers for us while you are saying your prayers.
Thanks and Love , Susie

Deaf Weather™

Hi Susie,

Will keep prayers for Louisiana area and keep safe :)

Hopefully it will not be another worse one like Katrina.

now i think it downgrade... so it would not something worst than katrina but. still.. .. need to be safe anyway..

yea my families are in baton rouge.. so i am sure they are safe as in their home..

Thanks for prayers !

HiYa Friends :

We're exhausted and suffered lots of damage from trees down with no power or amenitities for over a week. But, I'm pretty sure no one in our region suffered loss of life and only a few homes took a bad hit. It was a miracle the Cat 5 heading towards us weakened into a strong Cat 1. Perhaps, the prayers worked. Thanks so much for the prayers.....Now, Ike is heading towards the Gulf and we're already buckling our seat belts. Our hearts go out to the folks on the Islands ripped so hard by his winds and storm surge wrath.

Hope all of you are doing good.... I'm going to get some sleep.
Will try to write soon...
Bon Soir , mes Amis ! Susie

Hey guys! very impressive to have several police officers in the united states like Deputy Susie, Officer Tony Wallace, Officer Richard Bean.

Which means I'm hoping to be the first black deaf male police officer in Omaha Nebraska (OMAHA POLICE DEPARTMENT)

So, I have worked on Physical Agility ( running, jumping, etc) Written Portion, (not yet), rode along with OMAHA POLICE gang unit, uniform patrol, and more.

I am currently a first year POLICE EXPLORER, so let me know what i need to do, i'm little similar to OFFICER ANTHONY WALLACE's background, but i'm currently a college student at UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA-OMAHA and my major is Criminal Justice

Hmm, this topic is two years old but I guess there's no reason for it to stay in the graveyard.

Being a cop is one of my career dreams. I've yet to find an answer for a very big question though; How do deaf people cope with the demands of being a front line police officer?

I am HoH (not even deaf) and I've always wanted to be a police officer. However, when I see what they do on TV, I always think to myself "No chance! Forget that idea!" I assume that my hearing impairment would be too much of an issue. For instance, I always see them with earpieces, and there's no way I could wear one. They use radios, and there's a big chance I could mishear what other officers say. Surely that could be a major issue in a job where a split second could make all the difference? To me, things like that are just major barriers and unless I can think of ways to overcome them, I won't risk wasting their time by applying. Imo, one attribute that any police officer requires, is confidence. Unfortunately for me, I've yet to attain that.

So yeah, I'd be really interested to hear how deaf or HoH people cope with something which many would believe to be difficult, if not impossible. I'm also amazed that it's possible in the US. Often, the US is more stringent than most when it comes to occupational standards and entry requirements.

ExR

Hmm, this topic is two years old but I guess there's no reason for it to stay in the graveyard.

Being a cop is one of my career dreams. I've yet to find an answer for a very big question though; How do deaf people cope with the demands of being a front line police officer?

I am HoH (not even deaf) and I've always wanted to be a police officer. However, when I see what they do on TV, I always think to myself "No chance! Forget that idea!" I assume that my hearing impairment would be too much of an issue. For instance, I always see them with earpieces, and there's no way I could wear one. They use radios, and there's a big chance I could mishear what other officers say. Surely that could be a major issue in a job where a split second could make all the difference? To me, things like that are just major barriers and unless I can think of ways to overcome them, I won't risk wasting their time by applying. Imo, one attribute that any police officer requires, is confidence. Unfortunately for me, I've yet to attain that.

So yeah, I'd be really interested to hear how deaf or HoH people cope with something which many would believe to be difficult, if not impossible. I'm also amazed that it's possible in the US. Often, the US is more stringent than most when it comes to occupational standards and entry requirements.

ExR

Being a police officer does have risks and no police officer are ever safe.

As for the earpieces and radios like CB, there will always be another police officer working with you. Usually, there are always two police officers walking on beat (sidewalk or pavements going from one building to another building checking for sign of break in and also see people on the sidewalk getting out of control like drugs and/or alcohol. Also you and the hearing police officer may be driving or riding in the cruisers and the hearing officer can hear and will relay or let you know what the person is saying. It seem to be better if there were only one deaf and one hearing to help each other out like back up. :cool2:

Personally, I am not a police officer and never want to be one. I am too old, anyway. :lol:

Hey guys! very impressive to have several police officers in the united states like Deputy Susie, Officer Tony Wallace, Officer Richard Bean.

Which means I'm hoping to be the first black deaf male police officer in Omaha Nebraska (OMAHA POLICE DEPARTMENT)

So, I have worked on Physical Agility ( running, jumping, etc) Written Portion, (not yet), rode along with OMAHA POLICE gang unit, uniform patrol, and more.

I am currently a first year POLICE EXPLORER, so let me know what i need to do, i'm little similar to OFFICER ANTHONY WALLACE's background, but i'm currently a college student at UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA-OMAHA and my major is Criminal Justice

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have time to read and post with us and enjoy discussing or debating with us too. Just have fun with us. See you around here. :wave:

After Sergeant Tony Wallace's death. I grew stronger by following officer wallace's step to the dream as Police officer. I recently took a police exam and I PASSED! I'm excited to look forward working on the streets.. :)

After Sergeant Tony Wallace's death. I grew stronger by following officer wallace's step to the dream as Police officer. I recently took a police exam and I PASSED! I'm excited to look forward working on the streets.. :)

:thumb:

To Omahapolice591, congratulation on getting the police exam passed. I do hope you are aware of the danger lurking on the streets. Just be safe especially with the hearing partner. Good luck. :wave:

Back