Deaf Police Officer

really! What do you want to do as police officer? I want to be one of those gang units, undercover, theft, or something.

I prefer to work in an undercover police operation, and work on murder cases. Thefts are too boring for me and traffic laws, I don't see myself writing tickets. I want something that keeps me busy. :)

I prefer to work in an undercover police operation, and work on murder cases. Thefts are too boring for me and traffic laws, I don't see myself writing tickets. I want something that keeps me busy. :)

hhmm behind desk or on the street? I prefer to get down and dirty!

hhmm behind desk or on the street? I prefer to get down and dirty!
No no no, not behind the desk, I prefer to be on the street, I love to take very big risks chase down the bad criminals. ;)

No no no, not behind the desk, I prefer to be on the street, I love take very big risks chase down the bad criminals. ;)

after we graduate from police academy, let's partner up and lock up some thugs! :locked:

no no I think you misunderstood me. you do the work, I do the shoving :o

Hi!

I am happy to read about you, and others posting. It is great.

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." - Marcus Aurelius

"Begin - to begin is half the work, let half still remain; again begin this, and thou wilt have finished." - Marcus Aurelius

Hello Deaf Police Officer!

Welcome to AllDeaf.com
You're deaf cop? WOW! I thought you are first deaf person work for the police officer.
Enjoy the AllDeaf.com Have a FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Love your story; Very inspirational

Ditto!
I worked as a forensic/law enforcement photographer in Miami with local, state and federal agencies. I LOVED IT! So much that I tried twice to get a permanent job but the competition was too stiff. I had a great year!

I also remember that Marlee Matlin really wanted to be a cop so bad but when they told her no patrol, desk jobs only, she moved on.

My friends had directed me to this site and the inquiries about deaf police officers in our country. As far as I know, there are three of us. I started in 1975 with the New Orleans Police Dept. Then in 1979 transferred to Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and in 1986 moved acrossed the lake to start a Hearing Dog program in a rural setting and started with the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office there. I have worked every capacity in law enforcement with the exception of working the jails, auto theft and homicide. I have worked with devices and a hearing dog for most of my career. Compensation skills are vital and knowing your own limitations imperative.Galludet recognized me on a calendar entitled ,'Outstanding Deaf People" ..in 1983 or 1985... Can't quite remember, so much has happened in our lives especially since Katrina. I started in 1975 when there were not too many of us out there. It took me three years of fighting civil service to prove I could do the job. It's been a great career and I still have to prove myself everyday. But, who doesn't ?!
The secret for me to attain the job I wanted was to wall paper...keep going back to school and getting certified in things contemporary law enforcement needed and nobody else was doing....I now have 3 Masters degrees and intend to go for my PhD. just so that I can continue to be the best possible police officer and serve my community in the best way I can....I have to give 300 % and it is worth it to me to be in the right place at the right time to make a positive difference for others.I am over 30 (ha-ha-ha) and still see a speech therapist every week...so, people can understand me better. My speech is not great...but, someday, it will be ...It's my responsibility to do this. Pls share the message of our potential and offer hope for determination and hard work. I am happy to help anyone in anyway... To those of you saying it is impossible... I'll say to you, it is . But, you have to dedicate yourself to attaining it for years. I sacrificed many years to getting on the department and then , staying on the department and then....having to be the best.. People are always waiting to say, I told you so and we can't let that happen. Best of luck to you all !.
With liove and thanks to all,
Deputy Susie :deaf:

Hi Deputy Susie, I have heard lot about you. When I heard about you, then I knew that it is NOT imposible to learn Law Enforcement or become LEO. I always wanted to become Deputy Sheriff with my local agency. I am now a Police Explorer with St. Johns Sheriff's Office, FL until I graduate from high school. After that I will go to law enforcement academy. Then hopeful I become one of them. I thank you very much for bring my goal of career back. I thought I never would make it.. Thanks and Take care. =)

Explorer Nathaniel Palacios

I myself am hard of hearing and I have the ability to use a radio and phone with limited background noise. I currently work in security at a University in NY State I have always heard of a few Deaf police officers, and have a firm belief that I can accomplish that feat as well. But recently I have been stonewalled by departments when they find out I have a hearing loss. What did you do in order to convince the department to hire you? I believe I can be a great officer and a great addition to NYC, but I may need some help. Any suggestions?

I think we have not heard anything from Deputy Susie for a long time, so hopefully she is all right, but busy. I don't know how she can convince the department to hire her to work in the sheriff's office as a Deputy. Maybe she is hard of hearing with mild hearing loss, but if she had more than mild hearing loss but can get in to get hire for deputy work in the sheriff's office. She is lucky to get the job.

Just don't give up and just tell the department that you can determine to work hard to get the job working in the law enforcement by going to the police academy to be train as a police officer or deputy. Like few of the ADers said that they don't want to work behind the desks and want to work out in the public taking the risks. Being Deaf or Hard of Hearing in the line of duty like crossfire or involve in the battle with bad people can be very very dangerous. So be careful with that. I don't know what to say when you can not hear what is going on when the bad people make noises that you can not hear them. Maybe that is why you need a partner to be with you all the time. Hope that helps. :hmm:

MY apologies for not writing..working 4 jobs !

Dearest Friends :

No, don't worry I am fine ...just very, very busy. Since Katrina , we have no homes, not too much funds and have to do whatever we can to get settled again. We are waiting for the Louisiana Road Home (FEMA) and for our insurance company to come through and after all this time we still have to wait. We have stayed in a small RV for over 9 months and are now staying in an unfinished house (House sitting) thanks to the kindness of friends who are unable to finish the house at this point. An empty house attracts the crooks so we are being helped while helping. WE are currently on the Northshore of NOLA ( across the lake) and not certain, about whether we'll get to ever go home. So forgive me for not visitng All Deaf more often.
I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and regards, AllDeaf is the one place where I do feel the most comfortable. It's nice to be with folks that over come the same obstacles and understand the same challenges and most importantly ...we can learn from one another how to accomplish the things we choose. WE can stand together and support one another with advice, criticism (if we need to get one of us..in shape to tackle their chosen tasks) and comfort.
One thought I have is through the years , it has been more deafies that believe certain challenges were not accessible or that we simply can't do a task. 'Deaf Officers need to have a partner.) Huh , whhhhhy ?
No one gives us a job to have to have someone babysit us. Either we develop ourselves to be better than the average officer utilize every bit of technology available to us or we don't do it.
Please understand ..WE are capable and CAN do whatever we choose to do. But, we have to want to do it SOOOOO bad that we become obsessive and focus and network and get certifications and volunteer to work for free and focus, focus and research all aspects of what we desire to take on as a challenge. Everybody that knows me, knows I worked ALL the time. I went home slept a couple of hours and then, hit the road again. I made certain that I specialized in things the other officers didn't ..at a time when domestic violence, child abuse and elderly abuse were not recognized. It is our responsiblity to protect the vulnerable, the weak and the lesser fortunate than us. I wore out my poor hearing dawg..he would just crash in the back seat and I'm still working those ridiculous hours.
To answer the question: Yes ..I am profoundly deaf since birth. Not Hard of Hearing as those of us deafies that can't accept our potential wish to believe . AND, the way to get around the system is to find the help you need to help you bulldoze through the baloney. I suggest that you find a University Medical Center where they have opened minded medical professionals willing to believe we are not 'handicapped' ..we just have limitations to overcome and to find ways to compensate. Mnay medical professionals still learn from very old textbooks which condemn us to a life of inability. I found a wonderful Audiologist, Dr. Michael Seidemann at the LSU Medical Center in NOLA..He tested me on my ability to read lips , compensate and function in a hearing world. I utilized him and everyone that I met and networked for three years while working a day job and going to school and working the reserve unit. I had no social life whatsoever. I guess you might say I wanted to be a police officer more than anything else in my life. I kept developing and continuously improving myself...my speech with therapists as an adult, practising lip reading and struggled 300% to achieve this. Yet, I still faced rejection just like many of you have experienced. I kept after it ,over and over again. At first, going with a department so desperate to have officers they took me and sent me to the first academy (of many) I attended. It was a crap job on the river front in New Orleans... It helped me make my way to the departments that I wanted since they strated wanting my education and certs.
Noooo, it wasn't easy. In fact, it was horrible and I can't tell y'all how heartbreaking the rejections were over and over. Ultimately, the folks I networked started battling for me since I was so persistant and oh yeah, never screamed or yelled or fussed. Always had a an attitude where I wanted to make friends with them so sooner or later, they would look at me seriously and help me do this. I use sign language, read lips, cued speech and anything and everything I can do to function in a hearing and deaf world. Yes, I still when I have time seea speech therapist to keep my speech sharp.
Years later, I still love the job. I can't think of anything with more diverse activities and a means to changing the world. I've spend a good bit of my summer visiting summer camps with the kids and doing programs designed to help them stay out of trouble.
Look, ya gotta believe in yourselves !!!! When you face those idiots that don't understand ..Remember everytime you see a telethon or a picture of people with disabilities...they are out to raise money for their cause. Seldom does it actually have anything to do with the people they are raising money for. Ask people that need a wheelchair... how easy is it to get a chair from an organization not a governmental entity. They make us look even more decrepit ... and pitiful to put money in the pockets of those entities. Meanwhile Mr./Mrs. Employer thinks of those images when we sit before him or her.. It is up to us to carry ourselves like the incredible people that we are...we are folks ( all of us here) used to having to work harder to accomplish most of the things we do everyday. It's no big deal, we just do it ..right ?
Have the confidence , patience and determination and you will with persistence see your own dreams come true. Puleeeeeeez don't let the idiots win and PULEEEEZZZZ don't give up ! Keep going back to school the wallpaper/degrees will open those doors.
Well, I have 7 page report to finish.... thanks for your encouragement, support and friendship. I still have days where it just gets a little too hard.
I always think of what Dr. L. King Jordan , the First Deaf President of Galludet said. (He's an amazing man and so humble !!!!)
" The only thing I can't do is hear !"
With SO MUCH love to ALL , Susie

Hey deputy Suzie, Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay!

Oops, I overlooked your recent post. I am sorry in what you have gone through since the Katrina event. I hope you will have a speedy recovery in your life soon as possible, seems that FEMA is very slow with the recovery process in New Orleans area *shrugs*

Last edited:
Hey Susie,

Good to hear from you again. Wow seem like a very slow progress in your area. Hopefully one of the days things will turn positive. It sure amazes a lot of people in your determination to never back down and your encouragement to be a police officer. Do your best with your work and let us know once in a while when you have time on how you doing and your work. :)

Dearest Friends :
One thing I forgot to say... I want you all to know how much I need you ! I hear the stories of your achievements, animal control officer, explorer, forensics and so many more tales of wonderment of our accomplishments.. YOU inspire me to continue. Any doors of discouragement we manage to knock down doesn't mean a thing unless someone else carries along the torch for the others coming behind.....
Remember, we need to believe in ourselves before the rest of the world does it and only after we have developed ourselves to the point we know and can be assured of our marketability and capability. I am going to give y'all a name of an Audiologist PhD. that may be able to support y'all in your efforts to knock down those barriors. Will get back to y'all.
Thanks so much !!!
LOve to ALL !!! Susie

Hey Depsusie,

I do remember you in other forum "DeafLore" which is closed down. In DL my old screen name was Kiwideaf.

Hopefully things will get better in your area. It is good to see you back. :)

Dearest Friends :
One thing I forgot to say... I want you all to know how much I need you ! I hear the stories of your achievements, animal control officer, explorer, forensics and so many more tales of wonderment of our accomplishments.. YOU inspire me to continue. Any doors of discouragement we manage to knock down doesn't mean a thing unless someone else carries along the torch for the others coming behind.....
Remember, we need to believe in ourselves before the rest of the world does it and only after we have developed ourselves to the point we know and can be assured of our marketability and capability. I am going to give y'all a name of an Audiologist PhD. that may be able to support y'all in your efforts to knock down those barriors. Will get back to y'all.
Thanks so much !!!
LOve to ALL !!! Susie

I don't know any deaf who works for animal control officer, or criminal department like you mentioned. But a lot of deaf works for UPS, and many are not able to drive because of the hearing. Maybe they can read y our achievements and maybe they'll realize deaf can do anything and start letting deaf employees drive their delivery vans lol.

Back