Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

ASL has been proven to work best than CIs.

With ASL, you are able to express yourself with classifiers, metaphors, mouth morphemes, NMM, NMS and so on.

With the CI, you need to differentiate between sounds to identify happiness, laughter, joy, anger and facial expressions are much different when it comes with sounds.

Yes, I am a strong ASL advocate and I do not hide it.

I understand that - I just don't think a small child should be implanted. It my own personal opinion and I hate being attacked over it.

WRONG!

They should use ASL when the child is an infant before implanted.

This is where you are illogical in your thinking-process. This is where you tout that children should be exposed to ASL after being implanted and at an older age.

This is where your thinking is very flawed, FJ.

No, I said they should STILL use ASL after they are implanted. I have been perfectly clear- ALL CHILDREN WITH ANY HEARING LOSS SHOULD BE GIVEN ASL, BOTH AS A 1ST LANGUAGE AND CONTINUING EVEN AFTER THEY ACQUIRE ANY OTHER LANGUAGES OR MODES OF COMMUNICATION.

You are reading something that isn't there. My view has been expressed over and over, through my posts and clearly through the choices I have made for my own child.

I understand that - I just don't think a small child should be implanted. It my own personal opinion and I hate being attacked over it.

I am with you, a small child should not be implanted.

Any child shouldn't be implanted just to accommodate society's issues.

I often wish some members followed my POV - "Dont attack the poster, question the POV and leave as friends."

Just hang in there and remember to stand by your beliefs as they make you for who you are. :hug:

No, I said they should STILL use ASL after they are implanted. I have been perfectly clear- ALL CHILDREN WITH ANY HEARING LOSS SHOULD BE GIVEN ASL, BOTH AS A 1ST LANGUAGE AND CONTINUING EVEN AFTER THEY ACQUIRE ANY OTHER LANGUAGES OR MODES OF COMMUNICATION.

Hostile, aren't we dear?

What about before! Did you teach Miss Kat ASL before she was implanted or did you wait until after she was implanted?

ASL has been proven to work best than CIs.

With ASL, you are able to express yourself with classifiers, metaphors, mouth morphemes, NMM, NMS and so on.

With the CI, you need to differentiate between sounds to identify happiness, laughter, joy, anger and facial expressions are much different when it comes with sounds.

Yes, I am a strong ASL advocate and I do not hide it.

You have perfect wordings for everything. I rather express myself to a life rather than analyzing on the sound of using voice properly with aids for the rest of life.

You have perfect wordings for everything. I rather express myself to a life rather than analyzing on the sound of using voice proper with aids for the rest of life.

That.. you just said it. I'd would rather express myself freely than constantly work on the pronunciations, no thanks!

If a child is profoundly deaf since birth and you wait until they are old enough to decide, the expected outcomes are not the same. The person will have very little chance of being able to understand spoken language through listening. A child implanted under 2 has a very good chance on the other hand. By waiting you are making it less successful.

So what???? I can tell you now that if I found as an adult that my parents risked my life with surgery just so I could speak more clearly I would be pissed. How does that conversation even go? Me

Me: Mom, dad you risked my life and potentiallv debilitating side effrcts just so I could speak like the neighbor's kids??? I could have ended up with a lifetime of vertigo and never enjoyed Six Flags or 3D movies or driving on long road trips.

Mom and Dad: Well son that was a risk we were willing to take.

So what???? I can tell you now that if I found as an adult that my parents risked my life with surgery just so I could speak more clearly I would be pissed. How does that conversation even go? Me

Me: Mom, dad you risked my life and potentiallv debilitating side effrcts just so I could speak like the neighbor's kids??? I could have ended up with a lifetime of vertigo and never enjoyed Six Flags or 3D movies or driving on long road trips.

Mom and Dad: Well son that was a risk we were willing to take.

I don't know about other people, but I never experienced vertigo due to my CI

I don't know about other people, but I never experienced vertigo due to my CI

Not all do, but it is listed as a potential problem on the FDA web site. I posted the whole page earlier in this thread.

FJ, the whole point is that deaf people are the ones who have to conform to being hearing and if we don't, we get discriminated. Heck, even many of us who have done everything the hearing way still get discriminated, get treated inferior and oppression. We are saying "Enough is enough...respect ASL and Deaf people's voices and our experiences."

When I read other websites, I always cringe at what hearing parents say about the deaf/Deaf community. Many of these parents "other" deaf people and show deaf people no respect. These parents do not consider their children part of the deaf community. They want their kids to be hearing like them. Pardon my paranoia but I've seen too much of this to be very trusting.

Hostile, aren't we dear?

What about before! Did you teach Miss Kat ASL before she was implanted or did you wait until after she was implanted?

She was "ASL-only" until she got her implant, you know that. That is what 1st language means, right from birth.

Does this mean Miss Kat is no longer an ASL user?

No. It means she is now bilingual. Pre-CI she only used ASL, now she uses ASL and spoken English and is beginning to use written English. I don't know what the percentage of use of each language is, but she uses both every single day, and we follow her lead for which she prefers at any given time,

This is where I am puzzled with you, FJ.

You say Miss Kat is bilingual yet you have such little expectations for the Deaf community. Please remember the Deaf Community is Miss Kat's community too as well.

2nd, if you wait it doesn't work as well! Why would you wait and put the much older child through "an invasive procedure" for something that will not provide access to language, maybe enviromental sounds, and (if implanted as a non-verbal teen) will likely become a non-user.
To get a better idea of how well a kid can hear with hearing aids? I'm 100% for implantation for kids who clearly need CI. There is a population of deep profound kids who will get NO benifit from HAs (as well as kids with auditory nereopathy) However, there are still kids who get more then "just enviromental sound" or no speech (remember profound can mean anything from not even enviormental awareness to hearing 30% and below of speech unaided on the spondee tests)
There are cases where an infant has tested as profound on ABR tests, but on more traditional audiotremy tests they test as having a more hoh loss.
et you have such little expectations for the Deaf community. Please remember the Deaf Community is Miss Kat's community too as well.
To add to this. FJ, I think you've got a lot of anxiety about Miss Kat developing oral skills.
It's understandable. They tend to really prey on parent's insecurities.
I think you also have to remember that MANY of us went through oral only. Not all of us here are oral failures or get minimal input via our hearing aids.
We were told we "didn't need ASL or deaf culture" and just to go with a HLAA style approach.

Back