Deaf Gene

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
Would you go to a genealogist to see if you have/carry the Deaf gene??? this goes for everyone even CODAs or people with deaf children...........I want to hear from all sides....

BabyPhat21 said:
Would you go to a genealogist to see if you have/carry the Deaf gene??? this goes for everyone even CODAs or people with deaf children...........I want to hear from all sides....

I would like to.. Im a little terrified to know, actually. As much as I like being deaf on some days, I'd really prefer my child not to go through what I did, and what my other family members went through. It's not an easy life, but I'm not saying they'll have a sucky life, but it's not going to be easy. You can't say deaf people dont have it harder.

I know Gally offers genetic testing to students for free. But if you want to get it done and you're not a student, it'll cost you $400.

it would be nice to have deaf genes in my family but i don't think so .... Sad... I rather to have strong deaf family that would keep me company than being left out among hearing family.

I don't have deaf genes, I have hearing genes. I was born hearing, but I became deaf due to my mom fucking my health up. :crazy: If my kid was hearing, fine with me. :)

there's no reason for me to go see genelogist.. because i don't have any family member who's born deaf. but do have family member who became deaf after birth.. but its related to fever, disease, virus stuffs.

so there's no way for me to go take a test cuz i know my kids will be hearing.

I took a genetic test (eek 6 vials of blood were drawn), and I don't have the deaf gene as far as the scientist who administered it to me is concerned. :)

I don't have deaf genes. I was born from rubella syndrome that caused me to become deaf and others too....good thing it was not a severe case, I would end up being not here and chatting to all of u on AD.

Ok, suppose you go and find out whether or not you have this gene, then what??

I don't think I have deaf genes -- my sister and I were born deaf due to recessive genes from both parents, but both parents' families all don't have anyone who were born deaf. We do have a couple of relatives who have become hard of hearing due to age and health-related illnesses.

Hm, I might take that test someday, but not to only look for deaf genes also for other diseases that we don't know of.

However, I know there's no deaf genes in the family that I know of.

I've wanted to do a genetic test for a while, but I think it's costly.

So I'll wait to have it done someday.

Miss-Delectable said:
Hm, I might take that test someday, but not to only look for deaf genes also for other diseases that we don't know of.

However, I know there's no deaf genes in the family that I know of.

I've wanted to do a genetic test for a while, but I think it's costly.

So I'll wait to have it done someday.

There might be universities that are doing a research on this, and they'd do a gene test for you free. I took advantage of the one at gallaudet university. I believe Dr Kathleen (cant remma her last name) is still doing a research on the deaf gene, so she'll do a free test for you and keep you updated. Nice woman!

Tousi said:
Ok, suppose you go and find out whether or not you have this gene, then what??

My curiousity is satisfied. :) That's good enough for me, toots.

Doesn't have Deaf Genes background of my mom's side..

I have no idea 'bout my birth Dad's genes.. btw still under searching on way..

When I was a student at Gally. I got a chunk of documents that my parents need to fill out. Unfortunately, I never have my parents to be done with this chunk questionable of papers. I really like to know about my own deafness. So far, It seems to me that I am the only one who was born deaf in my family. My grandparents do not recall any of one who was deaf. Maybe one day, i would like to find out why.

I was so confident that my kids were born hearing. Indeed, my two kids were born hearing. I am glad for that.. I do not want to have any deafness genes in my relatives and do my dh.

sequoias said:
I don't have deaf genes. I was born from rubella syndrome that caused me to become deaf and others too....good thing it was not a severe case, I would end up being not here and chatting to all of u on AD.
That's one of the reasons for the sudden growth in attendance at NTID. Years ago, there was that going around and it caused a lot of deaf babies to be born. As a result, we have a lot of deaf students... 18 years later.

Don't have Deaf Genes any in my family I really have big family and i am only one deaf in the family if my child or children is hearing i will be happy for it

BabyPhat, don't you mean geneticist? And there is more then one deaf gene....
I am the only one in my immediate family who is deaf, although my daddy has a cousin who is Deaf. However my deafness is a result of a denovo (happened spontanously) genetic mutation. I have a 50% chance of having hard of hearing kids, although it comes with things like high risk of depression, and other birth defects and health concerns.

No I wouldnt find out.

But I would want to find out if I have Alzheimers gene ..as it runs wildly in my family and Im terrified of having it. I would want to know about diabetes too so I could do better health care if they tell me I have a very high risk for that!

I'm the 6th generation of deaf families and proud of it... I'm gonna make sure my sperm's deaf as well! :laugh2:

I would much rather focus on raising my children to be civilized adults rather than have someone just to relate because of my deafness.

Back