Deaf Gene

Liza said:
There might be universities that are doing a research on this, and they'd do a gene test for you free. I took advantage of the one at gallaudet university. I believe Dr Kathleen (cant remma her last name) is still doing a research on the deaf gene, so she'll do a free test for you and keep you updated. Nice woman!

Dr Kathleen sounds like a nice gal. But I'm all the way over in Aussieland. I suppose I could have my blood flown over...:)

i would love to do this, too bad i just cant drop in gally and have them do it for me. The reason why is because for me, I date hearing guys and it is a concern. Better to be prepared and I would want to stay in the area of the Oral school i went to, it is considered the top oral school, it would be a pain if we moved out of state (for job reasons or whatever) and find out we have deaf children and move all the way back.

My deaf friend told me today she has 30 per cent Waaranderg Sydrome, I find it hard to believe as she looks nothing like any WS, she explain to me that the test shows she has strong blue eye and other hazel eye, as it is hard to notice the color of her eyes with good light!! She don't have any white streak on her forehead, but now it start to show very little. All of her family are hearing until she become a Mother.

Her daughter was born deaf and she decided to find out more about her as we thought her daughter was born deaf from deaf father's side but he was adopted by British deaf couple, as he was born to hearing parents. Also she said it is good chance she will have a deaf grandchildren 50/50 chance.

She is glad to went through the test and proudly to announced to me that its her deaf gene!

Red~Rum said:
My deaf friend told me today she has 30 per cent Waaranderg Sydrome, I find it hard to believe as she looks nothing like any WS, she explain to me that the test shows she has strong blue eye and other hazel eye, as it is hard to notice the color of her eyes with good light!! She don't have any white streak on her forehead, but now it start to show very little. All of her family are hearing until she become a Mother.

Her daughter was born deaf and she decided to find out more about her as we thought her daughter was born deaf from deaf father's side but he was adopted by British deaf couple, as he was born to hearing parents. Also she said it is good chance she will have a deaf grandchildren 50/50 chance.

She is glad to went through the test and proudly to announced to me that its her deaf gene!
The most common traits of WS is white streaks in their hair and different colored eyes. Sometimes, it's very minor that you hardly notice it.

No cuz there are no deaf genes in my family at all, i was born deaf due to rubella. Im the only one who is deaf in my family.

PurpleRose71 said:
I don't think I have deaf genes -- my sister and I were born deaf due to recessive genes from both parents, but both parents' families all don't have anyone who were born deaf. We do have a couple of relatives who have become hard of hearing due to age and health-related illnesses.

Hey, My sister and I have the same problem you have.. We were born with hereditary deafness, due to my both bioligical parents' recessive genes. We are the 2 girls that are deaf in both side of the family. We have relatives who became hard of hearing due to old ages and sickness.

My son, Kyler was born hearing...

Defee said:
No cuz there are no deaf genes in my family at all, i was born deaf due to rubella. Im the only one who is deaf in my family.
Yes me too.

Back