Deaf community lost a great friend and leader.

Babyblue

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

AUSTIN -- Orange paint marks still mark the spot on the road where police say a man struck a jogger and kept driving. Investigators found the man's crashed vehicle, but the driver got away. Family members say the jogger was Mark Gobble, who had worked as a history teacher at the Texas School of the Deaf.

Gobble was jogging around 6:30 a.m. Sunday when police say a car left the road and hit him near the intersection of Slaughter Lane and Escarpment Boulevard. Witnesses say his body landed about 30 feet away. A doctor who lives nearby administered CPR.

"I was gonna follow the guy, see where he went, but I looked over and saw a guy on the ground," the neighbor said.

Gobble was taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge where he later died.

Gobble's wife, who only communicates with sign language, told KVUE she hopes whoever did this to her husband is brought to justice.

The driver was in a gray Toyota pickup. Police say the driver is a man in his mid 20's and was wearing a light colored T-shirt. If you have any information in the case, call Austin

http://kvue.mlnwap.com/News/Top%20Stories

Will miss you old friend. RIP Mark.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I hope they catch this guy. Mark left his wife and 2 children behind. Along with his mother and many friends.

Wirelessly posted

Thanks. He was a friend to many Deaf people. Today would have been his 38th birthday.

i hope they get him soon awful thing to do
may he rest in peace i so sorry

Police track down driver in fatal hit-and-run | kvue.com Austin

AUSTIN -- Austin police have tracked down the driver in a fatal hit-and-run. They are still waiting to make an arrest.

Mark Gobble, 38, was out jogging around 6:30 a.m. Sunday.

Orange spray paint marks outline how a driver lost control where Gobble was jogging, off Slaughter Lane at Vinemont Lane. The lines go off the road and into the center median. It shows the truck barely missed a tree, then veered back across the lanes of traffic and jumped the sidewalk curb. It skid across the grass before hitting a concrete fence.

Gobble was taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge where he later died. The husband and father of two is deaf. He never heard the truck coming. There are now flowers resting on the grass where Gobble was hit.

Police say the driver did not stop to help. A neighbor who lives on the other side of the concrete wall where the truck crashed says he heard the impact and stepped outside. The neighbor, Richard, says he saw the driver pause, look around, then take off. Ruts in the grass mark where he backed out.

The driver didn't get far, though. Police found his crashed truck abandoned a couple of blocks away.

At 50 miles per hour joggers on Slaughter Lane admit running along the road can be intimidating, but it's still a popular running spot.

“I've never heard of any cars jumping curbs or hitting people or dogs. I walk my dogs up and down the street every day. I've ridden by bike up and down the street, never had a problem,” explained Chris Callan.

“People jog it all the time. It's kind of a freak occurrence. I think it's probably not typical,” added Eli Pickering.

Gobble was featured in a 2007 documentary. He joined a group on a trek to climb Mount Everest. At the time, he worked at the Texas School of the Deaf and said if he could pass any message on to his students it would be: “Go out. See the world. Do what you want to do.”

Gobble worked at the Texas School of the Deaf, was recently hired as an Associate Professor in Boston and has published several books.

On behalf of the Boston University School of Education and its Programs in Deaf Studies, Dr. Robert J. Hoffmeister, director Center for the Study of Communication and the Deaf, sent KVUE this statement:

"All of us at Boston University are shocked and heart-broken by Mark's tragic passing. We were looking forward to Mark joining the Programs in Deaf Studies as an associate professor. He was a teacher, a mentor, a leader, and a wonderful husband and father. We are saddened that we were denied the chance to benefit from his remarkable intelligence, his zest for life, and his incredible ability to love. Although our time with Mark had only just begun, the loss is no less intense. We at Boston University will all miss him dearly, as will the countless lives he had yet to influence. Our hearts and prayers are extended to his family."

Gobble's wife, who is also deaf, says she wants justice.

Detectives must first get an arrest warrant before taking the driver into custody. They say they were able to track the driver down through the vehicle registration.

glad he will be apprehended. bet he was drunk and split had the chance to sleep it off. :roll:

Very sad. May he rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. It's a shame those children will grow up without a father because of such a senseless tragedy.

That was awful. His name look very familiar to me. His wife looks familar. what does his wife name? :(

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Thanks. He was a friend to many Deaf people. Today would have been his 38th birthday.

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. Today should have been a day of celebrating - not a day of mourning. :hug:

Wirelessly posted

deafskeptic said:
Wirelessly posted

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. Today should have been a day of celebrating - not a day of mourning. :hug:

He is not my husband. He was a classmate and friend.

glad he will be apprehended. bet he was drunk and split had the chance to sleep it off. :roll:
Yes. From the description of how he drove all over the road and median, he must have been drunk. Of course, when they find him, it will be too late for a blood test. Or he'll claim someone else was driving his vehicle. :(

I certainly hope the Gobble family gets justice.

Back