Counseling

Thanks, Hear Again. I just didn't know what the acronyms stood for, but I do know the various types of therapy.

I have had two psychiatrists that had my best interests at heart but the first one was when I was underage and my dad cut me off after three months. The second one was very well intentioned but I don't think she knew enough specifically in my area to help. She worked with adopted children but wasn't used to working with patients that have some of my other issues.

My current psychiatrist was great up until recently when I caught her in a huge lie. Time to change therapists!

I just wish hospitalization wasn't so incredibly expensive. Otherwise I would have been in the hospital getting the treatment I needed and not dealing with my parents for longer than I need to. Even if you have insurance, lots of insurances only cover hospitalization for two weeks or some other short period of time.

I just wish hospitalization wasn't so incredibly expensive. Otherwise I would have been in the hospital getting the treatment I needed and not dealing with my parents for longer than I need to. Even if you have insurance, lots of insurances only cover hospitalization for two weeks or some other short period of time.

sadly, the typical length of hospitalization is even shorter than 2 weeks. in many cases, it's only a few days.

when i was hospitalized over a month after being diagnosed with bipolar, i was lucky enough to have insurance cover the cost. i was also hospitalized recently (which i'm not ashamed to admit) after being manic for several weeks and i was inpatient for 8 days which is a long time by today's standards. years ago, that was not the case and it wasn't unusual for someone to be hospitalized for as many as 2 weeks or more.

however, it's also important that you have a psychiatrist who can
diagnose you correctly. i was misdiagnosed as having schizoaffective disorder bipolar type when i was hospitalized 2 years ago. my diagnosis then changed to bipolar I rapid cycling and changed yet again (to what i believe is my correct diagnosis) by my current psychiatrist to atypical bipolar I with rapid cycling. that differentiation is important because if i were listed as bipolar I without rapid cycling, there's a very good chance i would be discharged from the hospital within days (due to insurance) without being stabilized. the same is true for depression and treatment-resistant depression. you don't simply stick someone in the hospital for a 72 hour hold and then release them.

When I was supposed to be hospitalized, my therapist was talking about one to three months... she said I should have been hospitalized and medicated years before, etc. But we didn't do it because insurance wouldn't cover past two weeks. So I ended up staying with my parents.

Now I think I'm even more insane, living with my parents. <laugh>

When I was supposed to be hospitalized, my therapist was talking about one to three months... she said I should have been hospitalized and medicated years before, etc. But we didn't do it because insurance wouldn't cover past two weeks. So I ended up staying with my parents.

Now I think I'm even more insane, living with my parents. <laugh>

<laughing>

if you don't mind my asking, do you receive medicaid or medicare? if you receive medicaid, they will pay the entire cost of hospitalization even if you are inpatient for months.

Nice! No, I don't receive either of those.

Whoops I asked you a question I probably should have posted in this thread but that I posted in the Okay AD'ers ask me anthing but be nice thread.

Nice! No, I don't receive either of those.

Whoops I asked you a question I probably should have posted in this thread but that I posted in the Okay AD'ers ask me anthing but be nice thread.

if you'd like to ask me that question here, ask away. <smile> otherwise i will go check out the other thread.

by the way, you might want to look into medicaid. it can really be beneficial -- especially when you need mental health services or inpatient hospitalization.

by the way, you might want to look into medicaid. it can really be beneficial

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check it out.

I'll just let you answer in the other thread. No point on posting twice.

Thank you. I don't know. I have never tried counselors in the same center. I was just curious if this was also done. I guess you're right that they may have similar philosophy.

I agree that more should be asked about CBT as I agree more techniques should be offered.

I am surprised how many therapists only do CBT (at least the ones I've met or heard of) and how few use other techniques.

I think it's important therapist know how to work in more than just talk therapy and dispensing pills. They should know of other methods as well to help the person make successful changes.

I agree. I had several therapists openly admit they didn't know how to treat my condition. I was thankful for their honesty but surprised they had such a limited ability in terms of treating patients.

I agree. I had several therapists openly admit they didn't know how to treat my condition. I was thankful for their honesty but surprised they had such a limited ability in terms of treating patients.

That's surprising to me..maybe there are areas of expertise for therapists just like there are for teachers?

That's surprising to me..maybe there are areas of expertise for therapists just like there are for teachers?

yes, you are right, shel. counselors and therapists may be familiar with the concepts of certain therapies and how they work, but may only specialize in one. that's usually how it goes when it comes to therapy.

HearAgain, you made a good point of asking how they treat patients and seek what methods they offer for treatments. Sometimes counselors have experience, but they may have little experience or general experience with it that may not be the best option.

I think that counseling is like school. The class depends completely on the teacher. Likewise, counseling depends completely on the counselor.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. The counselor is only 50% of the counseling relationship. The other half is the client. The counselor cannot effect change if the client is fighting against it, or witholding information.

Yes, most therapists have an area of expertise. That is why they refer when there is a problem they encounter that does not fall within their professional scope of practice.

Thanks. I've been in the school and mental health systems for awhile now. <laugh>

For two things that are so incompatible, they sure have a lot in common in the way they work.

Actually, they are not incompatible at all. As a matter of fact, advanced degrees in counseling are actuall M.Ed or Ph.D/Ed. That is because the correct designation is counselor/educator. Counselors seek to educate their clients, thus providing them with information and skills they are lacking and enabling them to become more independent and self sufficient. Therapy is all about helping a client to become aware of that which they are not aware. What is that but education?

hi,

this is the way i see it from a counselor's perspective:

counseling will only work if the client has the 'readiness' and 'willingness' to make changes in their lives. i have noticed some clients are 'mandated' to go to counseling (for example, court order to get clean, or to get their kids back) and i find counseling to be ineffective for these type of clients because they didn't sign up for the services on a voluntary basis. it is my strong belief that clients need to be motivated, and have the willingness and readiness to make changes in their lives, for counseling to be effective.

also, i remember someone told me, "finding counselors are like trying on shoes. you have to keep trying different counselors until you find the perfect fit....just like shoes".

missy

Well said, missywinks.

Back