Counseling

HearAgain, you made a good point of asking how they treat patients and seek what methods they offer for treatments. Sometimes counselors have experience, but they may have little experience or general experience with it that may not be the best option.

exactly. in my own experience, i've had cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt) in the past, but it just didn't work for me. gestalt therapy was much more effective, so the next time i need a new therapist, i will make sure that he or she practices this kind of therapy. having said that, what works well for one person may not work for another.

Satisfied At Last

I have tried counseling or therapy many times, but I never got anywhere. It was almost always "Hearing people" implying that there was something "wrong" with me that needed to be "fixed." I became EXTREMELY DEPRESSED from such "interventions." I have found a wonderful psychologist who is HOH himself and who SIGNS.:) Instead of feeling angry and sad all the time, I am starting to feel hopeful and even happy part of the time. My pastor recommended him.

Last edited:
I have tried counseling or therapy many times, but I never got anywhere. It was almost always "Hearing people" implying that there was something "wrong" with me that needed to be "fixed." I became EXTREMELY DEPRESSED from such "interventions." I have found a wonderful psychologist who is HOH himself and who SIGNS.:) Instead of feeling angry and sad all the time, I am starting to feel hopeful and even happy part of the time. My pastor recommended him.

i only had one therapist who could sign and that was back in the mid to late 90s a few years after i lost my hearing. she knew asl and pse, so we communicated with each other in pse. that was the first and only therapist i knew who could sign.

i only had one therapist who could sign and that was back in the mid to late 90s a few years after i lost my hearing. she knew asl and pse, so we communicated with each other in pse. that was the first and only therapist i knew who could sign.

Uhhhh.....no it isn't.:giggle:

Back