• No.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I only speak.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I only lipread.

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
butterflygal said:
I was brainwashed into learning how to speak and lipread until before my teens. My wonderful parents transferred me to a deaf school and from there, I learned ASL and deaf culture. I can lipread still but I usually tell people I cannot because I don't want to work my ass off matching the hearing ppl's needs. It's their turn to work their asses off to match OUR needs.

:rofl: Butterflygal ive said that many times too LOL -- i feel the same way even tho i can also speak and lipread

Both. I speak and lipread, although people who don't know my find it hard to understand me, but that's ok, they'll figure out that i'm extremely HOH sooner or later. No one taught me how to lip read; it's something i just do naturally. It would help out though if more ppl knew sign! WHY CAN'T THE WORLD SIGN!?!?! :( Oh well....my bf is learning it and he helps me when ppl are asses and don't like repeating themselves.

Btw i'm new here, so Hi, lol.

i can speak n lipread but depend on peep speak too fast then i dont uddy.. if slow then i will uddy.. i had speech class for 14 yrs... MOST time i speak without signs to my mom but she skill signs.. sometime if i wear hearing aid then i talk my mom on phone , some uddy but not MOST time.. :)

I accurately can speak a term "Fuck YOU" That is it !! Not rest of other terms. I speak like a monkey's voice. :wackit:

I can read the lip that I work with that person everyday. Not the stranger people or in hearing world. I overwhelmed and restless at the Hearing Party.

No thanks !!

I'm not speak or read their lipead since i m full deaf ofc full ASL (sign lang) but i can read their's lipead which i can understand clearly more sometime not understand what try said simple only way is write a paper will understand clearly than confuse read their lip or speak from voice

Depends peoples talking... sometimes I do not undy.. then ask for pen and paper.
Depends people talking very nicely oral.. Perfectally I do understand.

Espically I hate man who has beard or moustce... why.. having hard time to read liping..

One thing, Made me laugh so hard about my hubby.. When he joined his first job at Formet within 5 years ago.. The man who has longest moustce and trying to communcation with my hubby. Unfortunally He doesn't understand. He try his best to tell him being honestly.. "I'm sorry I can't read your lip because your moustce too longest" He said.. oh sorry.. His moustce held finger up to hold and try to talk.. My husband was laughed so hard.. Next day.. My husband was surprised and why you shave your moustce off ? He replied to my husband, because I want to communcation with you and same work shift lines. My husband said, oh well, Really not necessary to him. He said.. NAH, I want to.. All I want respect you need to communcation with me. My husband thinks that he is very excellent man ever met him at his new job.

Last year, My husband told me about that guy, He got promption and transfered another dept. We met him again during Christmas Party.. He still not wear moustce. LOL~ :laugh2:

I speak and read lips...My parents said, since i was HOH, they wanted me to learn to speak which they sent me to a private school where i was taught to read and speak, no sign language was allowed! I didnt learn sign language until i was in my late teens!! when i realize that some deaf cannot speak at all and they can communicate only by sign language so i quickly learned the SL and i still do use it when i visit my deaf friends..
My husband got a big kick out of me reading a tax lady's lips at Jackson-Hewitts (income tax place) and so he said "what did she say to that lady" since he knows her, I said that she is getting so much $$$ from Federal and so much $$$ from the State of Oklahoma..LOL! he loves that i can read lips so good! and guess what, he is reading lips pretty good now! i taught him cuz he wanted to learn so i tested him one day when he was outside smoking and i was inside and i said stuff to him without my voice thru the glass door and he understood what i said!! I couldnt believe it! oh by the way, my hubby is hearing but he wears a hearing aid in one ear, he lost some hearing due to a lot of loud noises he was subjected to thru the years at work.

Hi,

Yes, I speak and read lips...I get more than I want to sometimes, LOL. But, I am sorry to say that my parents forbade me to learn sign - first class I ever took was in college, where I took ASL as an elective. They didn't want my learning to sign to throw off the "extensive speech training" that I was undergoing.

As a result, I never really fit in with the hearing community, nor the deaf community. I'm still kind of mad at my mother for that!

Like the CI, I think that should be a choice too!

Malfoyish

Malfoyish said:
As a result, I never really fit in with the hearing community, nor the deaf community.

Malfoyish

Ahhh...I could relate to that during my teenage years or while in school...at times, it would be frustrating feeling in a world of your 'own' and alone...*shrugs*....

I'm HOH, can speak and hear quite exceptionally well, can hear and speak over the phone...hmmm...about being in the 'dark', with no lights on...there goes the lip-reading! :lol: and it does makes me concentrate a bit more to clarify the sounds as best as I can...but not always am I able to...often times I would have to ask the person to either repeat or rephrase whatever they had said while in the darkness *holdin' up a lighter...ahhh!* :lol: ...and it sure peeves me when someone like a stranger speaks quite normally and upon discovering that I am HOH, they start to talk reallllllll slooooow.... :ugh: *shaking my head* !

Heh! RR..i know what you mean when people find out that you are deaf/hoh, they start talking real slow like a retard, (not all people are like that, just the ignorant ones) and you know what i do? I do the same thing, talk real slow back at them, boy, it works! sounds like being hateful but they are being hateful/ignorant themselves, so what? it works and sometimes it pisses them off..sheeesh! it PISSES me off big time so there!!!!

Defee said:
Heh! RR..i know what you mean when people find out that you are deaf/hoh, they start talking real slow like a retard, (not all people are like that, just the ignorant ones) and you know what i do? I do the same thing, talk real slow back at them, boy, it works! sounds like being hateful but they are being hateful/ignorant themselves, so what? it works and sometimes it pisses them off..sheeesh! it PISSES me off big time so there!!!!

LOL! But I noticed it is much, much worse when I am wearing hearing aids!! Hearing people overdo their talking and slowing it way down. When I stopped wearing hearing aids, people started talking normally!! I was like, Damn, what the fuck? Now, it is a Hell lot easier to lipread them without hearing aids!

yeah i know what you mean, Deaf258 especially the males/females who have short hair and the hearing aids shows..i m a female and i have long hair so it doesnt show, its my voice or "accents" (hearing people says that)..one time a woman asked me since i have accents, where im from? I told her im from Venus..she goes "oh really?" LOL! like she believed me, duh! haha so i told her i was just joking and the reason i have accents is that im hearing impaired, she went like :shock: and then she said, now get this: "Oh, i didnt know that deaf can talk!" now thats ignorant. :roll:

Deaf258 said:
Try this for size:

"I didn't know Deaf can drive!"

I don't give people thinks DEAF CAN DRIVE.. WOULD SAY oh my god, you doesn't supposed be drive for Deaf people, because you can't hear anything.

Obvouisly They thinks lack of learning about Deaf..

I was told lady, I can drive.. anywhere.. what more?? I have very good eyes.. don't need hear.. explained lady that rate of percentage highest accident by hearing people.. because not pay attention carefully.. Lowest percentage accident by Deaf peoples. The lady was stunned and turned into red face.
I say.. okay.. Have a nice day.. bye..
In my mind, Why people thinks Deaf people are not supposed to drive? What heck coming news from?

It's not just how some people may start to talk real slowly as if I can't hear 'em clear enough or understand what they're saying...it's more like an automatic thing they go into...it's like...OHHHH...he can't hear well...and start to move their lips real slowly...like I'm too dumb to catch their words if they speak normally or faster... :roll:

Yet there are times I would kindly tell them to either speak clearer or I simply tell them that I have a hearing problem or can't hear as well...most of the times people will correspond accordingly, others just stick to the o' routine of speaking so ever sloooooow! Even, when some people may have to repeat what they say, and as some words may sound the same or some word that I might not recognize in the form of speech...usually I will ask them to rephrase it differently...but it sure bugs me when they either *sighs* or roll their eyes out of exasperation for having to repeat! I can understand that it must be a tad bit exhilerating for them to do so...but ONLY if they could be in MY shoes and then they would better understand my (our) needs as we are human too!!!

laughing-smiley-017.gif

Yes, as a profoundly deaf person, I can speak and read lips, even in silence (without hearing aids on). My family and friends have always been hearing. They know very little about Deaf Culture. I speak native language at home and speak English with my friends and co-workers. I have never used sign language to communicate. Hopefully, I will join a deaf club soon where I can make friends and learn ASL.

Yes...

Since Im 16 years old, I had been learning how to talk since I was 3, bascially raised in oral but still, in deaf culture. When I was 10, I got my cochlear implant, it improved my speech and my hearing alot...almost to 90% in all. It really helps alot! Im glad to be able to hear! Its a free country....lml/

Back