Votes: 7 6.5%
  • I only speak.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I only lipread.

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
Kaylas World of Silence

Hey Guyz,
Well i came across this topic and I was oohh boy I could relate to so many of these people! Matter of a fact I was in the hospital the other day getting tested for something and there was a guy from Israel and he didnt use his lips to talk to me.. He talked with his teeth!!! AHHH! So hard for me to understand... But stupidly enough I would just nod along pretending that I understand... It sucks not being able to understand them while other people can... I have some hearing friends at school and I talk to them orally and lipreading... Sometimes I cant even understand my friends.. I asked them what they said again but I still couldnt understand it.. It would be like Yesterday, Me and Sarah went _______ and saw ____ awesome _____ wow! ___ then she laughs.. Im like ohhh then i laugh.. Even though i have no idea what she just said.. Its so frustrating.. Even though I mainstream in a hearing high school, its still hard for me to get along and understand what people are saying.. I can lipread really well but I cant lipread well if they have thin lips or a beard or a weirdo accent. Its so sucky to be me. But i realize that their are other people that have the same problems as me.. It sucks.. One time my deaf friend and I were at a basketball game... My friend saw one of her hearing friends and she went to talk to her.. I was watching them the whole time.. I could see my friend nodding along and laughing like she had no clue what the girl was saying.. Then my friend comes back and asked what the hell did she just say? Im like i have no idea... *SIGH* Oh well... Thats why I want to go to a deaf college like Gallaudent so I can understand people without struggling to understand them... I can also talk orally really well.. Some people cant understand me because I have like a deafie accent or something.. Oh well.. Even though Im profoundly deaf, I can lipread and speak.. Im proud of it... There are some disadvantages though.. Oh well, its all part of life... Just Smile and Shut Up I guess.. I think that sayings funny.. lol... Oh well! See ya!

I think I've already posted in this thread, but I just wanted to say, it's hard learning to lipread, but it's worth it. I wish more deaf people would make the effort to learn to lipread, so many hearing people make the effort to learn to sign.

Boult said:
can speak or lipread (better with HA on)

I agree, I happen to find that Hearing Aids help me do lipreading and speaking better than without.
By the way, I can speak and lipread but like always it does depend on the other person speaking.

I am just the same as Miss-Delectable and Boult. I can speak and lipread. However, from what I was told I speak louder and sometimes clearer without my hearing aids. With hearing aids on I speak very softly. I always seem to think I'm talking too loud, but really I'm talking almost with no voice! :dunno:

I've been "branded" as a traitor to the Deaf Culture and Deaf Community by the pure Deaf militants simply because I have the best of both worlds. I was mainstreamed in the hearing school and I come from a huge Deaf family. My Deaf parents are not your normal Deaf parents that wants to immerse their hard of hearing children in a Deaf school. They wanted us to have Bi-Bi education and/or mainstreaming. We had the best of both worlds and I still invest the benefits of having the best of both worlds. Hearing and Deaf worlds are in my heart and I get the common sign from Deaf people. The middle finger at the forehead, signifying "Hearie", what the poor souls do not realize that when they do this to their own peers. They are actually doing cultural oppression, they gripe about being oppressed by the hearing community and yet they do this to their own kind with a simple sign. :thumbd:

Speaking English was my 1st language and sign language was my 2nd language at the age 19 years old.. I am hard of hearing and same thing with my sister, we both are the only HOH in the family and they have NO clues or ideas in sign languages, so we speaks a lot. I took sign language classes when I was in high school and was interesting, but lost all interest for a while until I have the baby, my baby was born hearing and I sign to him all the time when he was a baby, so he can tell me what he want.

can speak and lipread but like always it does depend on the other person speaking.
Same with me. I can hear a lot of people who speak very well, but other people who don't enunicate or who mumble or who don't have really good professional speaker voices, I can barely understand.
I speak like a foreigner, or so I'm told.
Same with me...I have a VERY "deaf" sounding voice and lots of people think I'm from the UK or something. (I'm American from New England)
My Deaf parents are not your normal Deaf parents that wants to immerse their hard of hearing children in a Deaf school. They wanted us to have Bi-Bi education and/or mainstreaming. We had the best of both worlds
Well, you were lucky...you had Deaf parents who reconized the need for some exposure to hearing culture for hoh kids. If I have kids (they'll be most likely hoh since the cause of my being hoh is genetic and I have a 50% chance of passing it on) I'll send my kids to a deaf school at least part time, and then also send them to a hearing school too. I also might send them to a school for hoh kids too if the speech services at the hearing and deaf schools aren't good for dhh kids.
With hearing aids on I speak very softly. I always seem to think I'm talking too loud,
I have volume issues myself (especially if I am upset or something) but I tend to speak too loudly. Everywhere I go..its' "MODULATE your voice DeafDyke!"

:shock: I have the volume issue too! When i think i'm talking quietly people think it's loud! Ahh! it's frustrating when you think you're being quiet but you're not.

And i also find that when my HA are on, i speak clearer and don't speak all weird. Actually, when they're on i find it easier to speak almost. I don't know why though.

deafdyke, mainstreaming is frowned upon in the Deaf community sadly and it is the young dhh children that suffers the repercussions from the Deaf Militants.

mainstreaming is frowned upon in the Deaf community sadly and it is the young dhh children that suffers the repercussions from the Deaf Militants.
Yeah I know. I think a lot of Deaf see those Auditory-Verbal extremists(the ones who want to encourage dhh kids to totally and completely assimulate in the hearing world) and think that's what ALL mainstreaming is about. I think mainstreaming has a lot of value but so does going to a school for the deaf (especially at a young age)

deafdyke said:
Yeah I know. I think a lot of Deaf see those Auditory-Verbal extremists(the ones who want to encourage dhh kids to totally and completely assimulate in the hearing world) and think that's what ALL mainstreaming is about. I think mainstreaming has a lot of value but so does going to a school for the deaf (especially at a young age)

Pah! There's someone that I can totally relate with about the mainstreaming issue. I have absolutely no regrets about being mainstreamed as it opened windows of opportunities for me and a whole new world, as well.

I have absolutely no regrets about being mainstreamed as it opened windows of opportunities for me and a whole new world, as well.
I am glad I was challenged academicly in the mainstream ( at a deaf school I probaly wouldn't have read Catcher in the Rye or taken Honors Latin), but on the other hand, mainstreaming was FRUSTRATING! I had to deal with stupid mainstream teachers who a) didn't give me appropreate support services. Most of the support services available through the special ed department were mostly helpful for kids with LDs rather then "classic" disabilties. I didn't even get a notetaker until I was almost halfway through high school! (and I have additional VERY legitmate issues which inhibit my abilty to take good notes) and I also had to deal with the negative attitude towards sped kids. Now a lot of sped kids are just lazy dumbass slacker types (the type who's "Um...who's President Bush?") but the attitude in the sped dept. was that just b/c I received sped services I was one of those dumbos who was just going to sit around and be on welfare and not achieve anything with my life. If I have appropreaite services, I can do fine...I actually made Dean's List TWO semesters in a row b/c I got C-Print! :) Now all I have are stupid notetakers! (grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

i came from everywhere including
both deaf school and hearing school...

i was the First and only one Deaf girl
enrolled at a hearing school even before
"mainstreaming" was invented and developed.

I came from half deaf family and
half hearing family. Deaf people never
identify me as a "hearie" (above my forehead)
due to my ASL skill. Hearing people can
tell that I'm deaf due to my "deafie" voice.
When I showed up at some deaf events
without saying anything at all, these
deaf people thought I was a hearing woman
until i started to chat using sign language
then they realize that I'm very deaf.

I was fortunate for having three hearing girlfriends
who actually encouraged me for enrolling our
same hearing school at the same time
I had a wonderful Deaf Boyfriend
from a deaf school many many miles away.

I can lip read depend on a speaker only
if he/she look at me only. I must have
some eye contacts for lipreading purposes.
If he/she does not look at me, then it's
more difficult for me to comprehend.

People said that I speak rather articulately
and extremely well especially as a Deaf Person.

Y- when "mainstreamed" starts ?? I been in mainstreamed school with hearie classes and there is deaf program apart since late 1970's.... :confused:

lol y'all are funny. I can lipread but not speak. I cannot pronounce the words right like some deafies can hear a bit or hearies. I m deaf like a rock and hearing aids don't help at all. :( hah. I can relate to your experiences cuz I watched my oral deaf husband struggle and told me his experience.. it s new culture to me.

Helium voice

I can speak and lipread. My voice, hahahah, is squeaky as if any guy inhaling helium.

Richard Roehm

Good Question

hey! how y'all doing today? i just chillin in here. i can speak to anybody and i can lipread of what people are trying to tell me. i am happy about me can speak and lipread because i don't like to be deaf though....so talk to you later...people..

by : hohkoolgirl

Back