Cooking Disasters -Tell Us About Your Disasters

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll start with me. When I was cooking my soup with pasta in the slow cooker for the first time, I put pasta in the crockpot and cooked it for the next 8 hours. It came out a mushy mess. :P

I remember cooking my carrots in brown sugar for 15 mintues. My carrots tasted more like my recently tarred road than sweet carrots.

I remember trying to bake bread for the first time. I decided that the top of my washing machine would be a nice warm spot for it to rise and I was washing clothes at the same time. My bread never rose and it came out very flat.

Wirelessly posted

I forgot to rinse off the salt after I dehydrated the shui choy for kimchi.

Combine that with one cup of Vietnamese fish sauce and half a cup of Americanized soy sauce... The kimchi came out too salty and gritty.

I now rinse the cabbage leaves after the salting. :/

My daughter insisted to cook for me. Since we all like Chinese food this was her meal choice. She managed to set the oil on fire and had fire running up the kitchen wall!
This was the night I learned baking soda will truly extinguish an oil fire! :shock:

My daughter insisted to cook for me. Since we all like Chinese food this was her meal choice. She managed to set the oil on fire and had fire running up the kitchen wall!
This was the night I learned baking soda will truly extinguish an oil fire! :shock:

:lol: I bet you're not sure you want her to cook for you again!

Did I mention that I put my London broil too close to the elements last spring? I set my oven on fire and I had to call the fire dept who put out the fire with salt.

Wirelessly posted

I forgot to rinse off the salt after I dehydrated the shui choy for kimchi.

Combine that with one cup of Vietnamese fish sauce and half a cup of Americanized soy sauce... The kimchi came out too salty and gritty.

I now rinse the cabbage leaves after the salting. :/

Which reminds me of the time I brined my chicken for dinner. I didn't rinse it before I put it in the oven. Gravy came out VERY salty.

Doubling the amount of coffee grounds for the water I put in...does that count?

Wirelessly posted

I was in 9th grade and my cooking partner had learning disabilities however she was the one I preferred to work with. We chose to make peanut brittle and we were advised many times not to use any plastic utensils to stir the hot sugar. Somehow in the busy moment, we use the plastic ladle and it melted! We wanted a good mark but didnt't want to redo the brittle so we added more nuts to cover the plastic taste. The class raved at our crunchy yet chewy peanut brittle & we received good marks. To this day they still have no idea they ingested plastic!

Wirelessly posted

I was in 9th grade and my cooking partner had learning disabilities however she was the one I preferred to work with. We chose to make peanut brittle and we were advised many times not to use any plastic utensils to stir the hot sugar. Somehow in the busy moment, we use the plastic ladle and it melted! We wanted a good mark but didnt't want to redo the brittle so we added more nuts to cover the plastic taste. The class raved at our crunchy yet chewy peanut brittle & we received good marks. To this day they still have no idea they ingested plastic!

I wonder how many years you took off their lives for that.

Wirelessly posted

They were the meanest 9th graders I tell you! Taught them a lesson... do unto others , blah blah lol!

I was 9 years old and wanted to surprise my mother by baking some sugar cookies. My older brother was keeping an eye on me with the oven, but not with the ingredients. Somehow, I managed to switch salt for sugar and we had salt cookies instead of sugar cookies. They were nicely decorated though.

MY yonger sister was not too good in math and she decided to made some gingerbread . She had a bowl of brown soup and I asked how much molasses she used and my sister said one and half cup ! The recipe called for only a half cup of molasses!
My dad was drunk one night , nothing really new , and decided to take all the left over food and put it in the blender to made a 'soup'! It was this really horrible green color and could had been use in a horror movie. Dad younger brother came over and asked dad what he was making and when dad told him 'soup' , his brother kept telling dad "it not going to work!" Dad finally got fed up and said to his brother "is that a new hat, let me see it!" My dad took his brother new hat and dumped the green slop into it! His brother could not do a damn thing as dad was a lot bigger and stronger then him! My mother loved to tell us this story! This was a real disaster for my uncle new hat! LOL

Umm trying to think....

One time I was at work...and they allow me to bake something...I over flowed the bread pan! Now I learn my lesson! Split the batch and put in two pans.

There are quite a few....I improved in cooking over years and years....thanks to Food Network! And of course on the website! :)

Wasn't my disaster, but it turned me off turkey for years. My mother once baked a turkey so long, that it was a pile of powder on the bones. It was dry and had the consistency of flour almost. Unfortunately, it was on Thanksgiving, but at least we also had ham available. After that, I always had Cornish hens for Thanksgiving while the family ate turkey. I will eat turkey now, but not if mother cooks it.

A few years ago I substituted for a sick cook in a restaurant owned by a friend. Dang, it was rougher than I thought it would be that night. In a few salads to go, instead of French dressing, I used red-hot sauce (the containers looked alike). Of course, the calls started...:lol:

This is not so much of a cooking disaster but rather an eating disaster. Back in college, I cooked some hamburger helper type of food. Usually, whenever I cook dinner, I leave rest of the food in the pan (covered in foil) to allow my 3 roommates to get a helping. Well, it just so happens that EVERYONE did not come home that night (and I left to my boyfriend's after cooking). Which means the untouched food sat there in the pan all night/morning. I HATE to waste food, so I ended up eating some of it for lunch the day after.

BIG MISTAKE. Ended up puking all night.

Back