Christian/Buddhist in relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettypond

Reaction score
I want to know if they are christian and buddhist get along well in marriage life??

He is a Christian pastor and she is buddhist but she is not religious and not a devoted buddhist. She does not want to convert to Christian if she marry him. Is there a big problem or not??

What do you guys think??

A Christian man should not be marrying a Buddhist anyway. It will have potential problems in the future should they raise a family.

yep
2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers (people who are not christians): for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

If he is a pastor, he should take that verse very seriously because pastors are suppose to be blameless and avoid future divorce

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Religion should not be the biggest problem in a relationship.

As long as the couple loves and trusts each other and compromises between themselves.. I don't see a problem. She does not have to convert in order to marry him, period.

What matters is that they love and trust each other.. not their religious beliefs. Period!

you don't understand, if you are a christian pastor, you need a wife who support you. Who will go to church with you. Who will listen to you when you practice your sermon. This pastor is not going to receive all this from his wife. A pastor need lots and lots of support and She is more likely to stay home. Someone need to tell him this before he make his big decision on marrying her.

I knew a pastor.. he married a wife of a different faith.. she supported him even though she didn't go to his church.. She did everything for him outside of church.. they have been married for almost 40 years now.

So she can support him without going to church with him. So don't say I don't understand.. Because I do. I know because I have witnessed it growing up.

he probably knew what he was getting himself into, they probably had to deal with alot of issues and conflicts. This pastor still need to reconsider marrying her.

It's like I said in the other thread about marrying a foreigner... it depends on their beliefs.

If both people have their own strong beliefs and it could interfere with each other's beliefs, then there could be problems.

Hello... nowadays you don't have to go to the same church to support your loved ones. THere are couples who have different religious beliefs.. and they support each other.. and they don't go to the same church.. so your argument is flawed. Besides.. a growing percentage of the population nowadays doesn't even go to church.

And As long as the pastor and his wife agree on how they will deal with their different religions, there is no problem. A wife does not have to be the same religion as her husband to love him. There are various couples all over the US who are different religions. ANd happy. I seriously think being happy is better than being the same religion.

yes, it is common for christians couple go to different church or don't go to church at all, And it is sad too. but I am talking about a pastor here.

And would she mind if he raise their children as christians? like taking them to wednesday night, sunday morning, and sunday night to church? Would she mind if he send them to a christian school? that's where the most problem lies. A catholic church usually make a husband or wife of a different faith sign a paper to allow their kids to be raised as catholic. I would not be comfortable with that at all.

Religion should not be the biggest problem in a relationship.

As long as the couple loves and trusts each other and compromises between themselves.. I don't see a problem. She does not have to convert in order to marry him, period.

What matters is that they love and trust each other.. not their religious beliefs. Period!

Apparently you don't understand. Religious beliefs dictate how a child is to be raised and the methodology behind it. Religious beliefs also dictate how to treat and emphasize the importance of certain things in a relationship. If the other partner in the relationship does not desire the same process, then it will be a problem for the sake of what is right according to religion.

I knew a pastor.. he married a wife of a different faith.. she supported him even though she didn't go to his church.. She did everything for him outside of church.. they have been married for almost 40 years now.

So she can support him without going to church with him. So don't say I don't understand.. Because I do. I know because I have witnessed it growing up.

Even still, do you think God would recognize the relationship as holy? Definitely not. Even in Islam, it is discouraged big time for a man or woman of different faiths to get together. It even goes as far as declaring the marriage as "shirk", the marriage not ordained by God and is therefore a form of "disbelief".

Hello... nowadays you don't have to go to the same church to support your loved ones. THere are couples who have different religious beliefs.. and they support each other.. and they don't go to the same church.. so your argument is flawed. Besides.. a growing percentage of the population nowadays doesn't even go to church.

And As long as the pastor and his wife agree on how they will deal with their different religions, there is no problem. A wife does not have to be the same religion as her husband to love him. There are various couples all over the US who are different religions. ANd happy. I seriously think being happy is better than being the same religion.

Again, you fail to understand the importance of religion in relationships. Being happy in the long run is best than being happy in the short run. I even loved a Muslim girl and we had different beliefs at that time. If I weren't to be a Muslim, would that make it still possible to maintain a stable relationship? Truth be told, not really. Let's be honest here; love will eventually "fade away" in many decades into the relationship. The only thing that holds the relationship would be the terms and agreements originally decided on. That includes religion and with the strong faith in religion, a marriage would last for a very long time.

Now this isn't to say that other Atheists or mixed belief-based relationships can't succeed, but it would require a compromise of beliefs that puts each other at stake. There is usually no real 50/50 compromise. Usually one has to conform to the other greatly. In this case, if a Buddhist is to get together with a Christian, either the Buddhist or Christian would have to put their religion "on the shelves" to conform to the others' expectations. If you deny that, then obviously neither one of them practices their beliefs therefore it never really mattered.

you fail to understand.. I was a strong christian up until i turned 25 years old. And I do understand how religion can play an important part of a relationship. It works best if you share the same beliefs, yes, I understand that. But not every couple is comfortable with having the same beliefs. Some couples actually like having different religions or beliefs.. No couple wants to do every little thing together. That's my point. Maybe the pastor and his girlfriend/fiancee are ok with being different religions. ever thought of that?

Bear said:
But not every couple is comfortable with having the same beliefs. Some couples actually like having different religions or beliefs.. No couple wants to do every little thing together. That's my point.

Then those "every couple" aren't Christians or of any other religion nor are they true followers.
If those couples "like" having different religions then they're just practicing a pagan belief which contradicts the very essence of Christianity.
Who says a couple has to do everything together all the time? A bit farfetched there... :roll:

So you're saying to be truly christian, you have to marry a christian.. To be truly Catholic you have to marry catholic, Ect ect???

That's like saying To be truly white, you should marry white.. it's discrimination based on religion. And very stupid.

But whatever you want to believe.. that's your belief.. I'm not gonna try to change your mind.

skin color has nothing to do with this.

Suppose an devoted atheist mocked his christian wife ...and his christian wife keep hoping one day her husband will accept Jesus one day so she will be able to see him in heaven. They would not get along at all. Many times the non-believer (not christians) leave the believer, because frankly they get sick of their beliefs. I have seen many husbands and wives who married a non-believer come to a christian message board asking for prayers for their spouse who are not saved. they feel like their marriage is falling apart and have to take many direction that goes against their moral beliefs just to keep their marriage together. And They always advicing young christian people to marry a christian.

Again, this has nothing to do with my beliefs but the facts from the Bible/Qur'an/Torah.

And no, this is not discrimination. People with weak knowledge in religion will assume it is (like you did). Religion does not prohibit Caucasians, Africans, Asians, Europeans, Hispanics, and other races from marrying each other. They only prohibit other religions other than its own (and if you think about it, it makes so much sense...).

skin color has nothing to do with this.

Suppose an devoted atheist mocked his christian wife ...and his christian wife keep hoping one day her husband will accept Jesus one day so she will be able to see him in heaven. They would not get along at all. Many times the non-believer (not christians) leave the believer, because frankly they get sick of their beliefs. I have seen many husbands and wives who married a non-believer come to a christian message board asking for prayers for their spouse who are not saved. they feel like their marriage is falling apart and have to take many direction that goes against their moral beliefs just to keep their marriage together. And They always advicing young christian people to marry a christian.

QFT.

Don't bother arguing that, BearBeauty.

I don't understand how a born-again Christian pastor would marry a Buddhist in the first place. Christians aren't even supposed to date non-Christians much less marry them.

Sometimes two non-believers marry each other, and then later one of them becomes saved. That's possible.

Sometimes two people will marry, thinking each other is saved, but really one of them is not. That's also possible.

If the man was already a born-again Christian before he started dating the Buddhist woman, then he wasn't obeying the command to not be unequally yoked to a non-believer.

I don't know what kind of church would accept a pastor who clearly doesn't even obey the Bible himself. How can he preach about obedient Christian life if he himself is not a good example?

They shouldn't divorce; that would be wrong. But he definitely shouldn't be serving as a Christian pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back