Christian/Buddhist in relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
...And no, this is not discrimination. .. Religion does not prohibit Caucasians, Africans, Asians, Europeans, Hispanics, and other races from marrying each other. They only prohibit other religions other than its own (and if you think about it, it makes so much sense...).
Correct. It has nothing to do with race or nationality. It is about different religions and spiritual beliefs.

I was not trying to argue Race or nationality.. I was using it as an example, Geez.

Why should people give up marrying someone they love because of religion? If the pastor loves the woman despite her religion.. then who cares about the religion. Yeah, I can understand that the wife should support the husband.. But limiting his choice of women due to the fact he's a pastor? that is unfair to the pastor. Because he will find a woman who shares his beliefs, but in his heart, he'll always want the woman he really loves, even though they have different beliefs.

Besides.. you talk about wives having to support husbands.. What about husbands supporting their wives as well? So If a Female Pastor wanted to marry outside her religion, how would you feel? it's the same thing.

I want to know if they are christian and buddhist get along well in marriage life??

He is a Christian pastor and she is buddhist but she is not religious and not a devoted buddhist. She does not want to convert to Christian if she marry him. Is there a big problem or not??

What do you guys think??

Well, if they really love each other then accept each other what they are. If they can´t accept each other what their belief are then they are not right each other.

Nobody tries to change their beliefs but themselves. It´s mainly important to accept each other what they are and their belief are.

I married for love, not for his belief.

Religion should not be the biggest problem in a relationship.

As long as the couple loves and trusts each other and compromises between themselves.. I don't see a problem. She does not have to convert in order to marry him, period.

What matters is that they love and trust each other.. not their religious beliefs. Period!

Yes I second that.

I was not trying to argue Race or nationality.. I was using it as an example, Geez.

Why should people give up marrying someone they love because of religion? If the pastor loves the woman despite her religion.. then who cares about the religion. Yeah, I can understand that the wife should support the husband.. But limiting his choice of women due to the fact he's a pastor? that is unfair to the pastor. Because he will find a woman who shares his beliefs, but in his heart, he'll always want the woman he really loves, even though they have different beliefs.

Besides.. you talk about wives having to support husbands.. What about husbands supporting their wives as well? So If a Female Pastor wanted to marry outside her religion, how would you feel? it's the same thing.

There's a difference between sensible love and blind love. Besides, you can find love anywhere. At least I'll be the first to admit that. If you lose one, big deal.

You know, sometimes a person is looked down upon as a selfish being when they only care about love and not their own righteous path.

There's good love and bad love. For example, what happens if you fell in love with a man who drinks alcohol and gambles? That man has not done any good duty whatsoever but you still love him. Would it still be good to marry him? No, it won't because you both are not in the same line/terms. The same with a Christian and Buddhist. They won't be in the same line/terms regardless of "love" or not.

Love is overrated. My grandmother admired the man she married but did not love him. They married because it was for the better (he could support her, she could serve him, they get along really well together, agreed on many things). Later on, my grandmother said this about him: "He is such a good man. I love my husband." First came terms, second came love. This is an excellent example of how traditional marriages were done previously and it works well. More on this as I continue my social studies...

...Why should people give up marrying someone they love because of religion?
Why would someone want to marry a person who doesn't share their core beliefs?

If the pastor loves the woman despite her religion.. .then who cares about the religion.
His congregation.

If a Christian pastor marries an unbeliever then he must choose another profession.

... But limiting his choice of women due to the fact he's a pastor? that is unfair to the pastor.
A Christian pastor has to meet certain qualifications. If he doesn't, then he can't become pastor of a church. That's the same in any profession. If a person isn't qualified, he doesn't get the job. Simple.

... What about husbands supporting their wives as well? So If a Female Pastor wanted to marry outside her religion, how would you feel? it's the same thing.
If a person isn't qualified for the position, that's it, period.

you were comparing apples to oranges, that's why we brought it up.

How a person feels, think, etc. is based on his belief. Your religious belief is what make who you are. So if she loves him, then she really love his religious belief (same with him). If she doesn't like his belief, then she doesn't really like him, except for some areas they do have in common. But other than that, he will be forced not to talk about his belief with her, and doing that is forcing to keep his feelings inside which is not healthy for the relationship.

The pastor need to know who he love more, the woman or God. If it is God, he would obey the bible the best he can. This mean choosing a devoted christian woman who will stand by him. If he love the woman more, he should just forget about being a pastor.

women shouldn't be pastor, but I know there are women pastor. the only time that woman can be pastor if men will not step up (like DEBORAH in the bible: Judges 4:4-9). I also know a southern baptist church where the husband and wife take turn preaching. But hey, if the husband want her to do it, I guess it is ok.

anyway, if it a woman pastor, she still need to married someone who share the same faith with her.

Last edited:
Maybe I just have a different view because While I've had good examples of marriages working and they have had the same religion or different religions, they were based on love as well. Those marriages worked. I've had More Bad examples of marriages that were based on religion and not love.. And ended up in divorce. So please excuse me if I don't necessarily believe religion should play the biggest part of a relationship. I respect everyone's opinion, but I don't agree with it. While I think religion should play a part, I also believe Love should play it's own part as well.

Believe me, I am sure if I had more postive looks toward religion, I'd be different than I am now.

Maybe I just have a different view because While I've had good examples of marriages working and they have had the same religion or different religions, they were based on love as well. Those marriages worked. I've had More Bad examples of marriages that were based on religion and not love.. And ended up in divorce. So please excuse me if I don't necessarily believe religion should play the biggest part of a relationship. I respect everyone's opinion, but I don't agree with it. While I think religion should play a part, I also believe Love should play it's own part as well.

Believe me, I am sure if I had more postive looks toward religion, I'd be different than I am now.

yes, love should play a part of it too. marriages have failed because the negligence of one emotional and sexual needs. You don't just pick anyone just because they are Christian.

50% of marriages in America fail. That's America for you. Look at other countries with an orthodox sense of religion and marriage. Their numbers of divorces plummet dramatically (3-6%).

I met 2 couple few years ago. He's a Catholic and his wife is Jewish. They both celebrate both Holidays. And the other is a She's a Christian and her hubby is Isalm (sp?) but she converted into his religious. I haven't seen them in years. So, I really don't know they are doing today.

if i got married one days and i would obey the gods

im raise Baptist and christian for longtimes because my mom's family very strong as baptist and went church as members of baptist but i do going church sometimes and im trust the god.

do you trust the god?

In this case, if a Buddhist is to get together with a Christian, either the Buddhist or Christian would have to put their religion "on the shelves" to conform to the others' expectations. If you deny that, then obviously neither one of them practices their beliefs therefore it never really mattered.[/QUOTE]

I'm a non-practicing Christian, currently dating a non-practicing Buddhist. My outlook on life and on religion has evolved quite a bit over the past couple of years. Most of my doubts probably stem from my traveling around the globe and being able experience other cultures and their world views. But, I was raised and discipled in the Church. So, I truly understand both sides of view. And I know what the Bible says about it. BUT, SEEING AS HOW I NO LONGER PRACTICE MY FAITH, WHAT MIGHT BE THE NEGATIVE OUTCOMES IF I MARRY THIS MAN? Does it really matter? Am I supposed to turn down the most meaningful and fulfilling relationship that I've ever been part of... because he doesn't believe the same as I did 2 yrs ago? Is it not possible to have a long and prosperous marriage with a man that doesn't share my beliefs? Cuz to be honest with ya, this man is more "Christ-like" than most Christians I know!

There is usually no real 50/50 compromise. Usually one has to conform to the other greatly. In this case, if a Buddhist is to get together with a Christian, either the Buddhist or Christian would have to put their religion "on the shelves" to conform to the others' expectations. If you deny that, then obviously neither one of them practices their beliefs therefore it never really mattered.

I'm a non-practicing Christian, currently dating a non-practicing Buddhist. My outlook on life and on religion has evolved quite a bit over the past couple of years. Most of my doubts probably stem from my traveling around the globe and being able experience other cultures and their world views. But, I was raised and discipled in the Church. So, I truly understand both sides of view. And I know what the Bible says about it. BUT, SEEING AS HOW I NO LONGER PRACTICE MY FAITH, WHAT MIGHT BE THE NEGATIVE OUTCOMES IF I MARRY THIS MAN? Does it really matter? Am I supposed to turn down the most meaningful and fulfilling relationship that I've ever been part of... because he doesn't believe the same as I did 2 yrs ago? Is it not possible to have a long and prosperous marriage with a man that doesn't share my beliefs? Cuz to be honest with ya, this man is more "Christ-like" than most Christians I know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back