Best wireless router for Sorenson VP-200?

ZiNg31

Reaction score
We have decided to go with wireless router. Before we buy one which is the better wireless router for us?

We have VP-200, 2 laptops, and PS3.

I was trying to find answers online but most of the topics are from 2006 to 2008. Some of them stating several wireless routers does not work with VP-200. I am sure there are new wireless router that would work with it?

I know that Sorenson provides customer's with a free D-Link DIR-628. That might be a good place to start.

Use a wifi bridge

Most wifi access points allow for "bridging" mode where they simply pass layer 2 ethernet traffic back and forth. If you configure a wifi access point this way, you should be able to connect it to whatever router you are using today that is already working for you.

The problem with configuring a wifi access point as a "router" is that this usually means configuring some kind of IPV4 Network Address Translation (NAT) that isn't symmetric or has problems with stateful UDP pinholes, or Application Layer Gateway (ALG) that tries to "help" by rewriting the H.225 signalling, and both tend to break H.323 signalling or RTP media traversal.

Again, a wireless bridge solves your problem by avoiding it entirely. Get a wireless access point that can bridge, and connect it to your existing router which you already know works just fine.

If you use their ISP's own wireless router, it would be difficult to make proper connect. Before I had u-verse but use Dlink or Linksys router. I manage to connect with wireless adapter which work great.

Turn your Sorenson VP into wireless

My D-link DGL 4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router use N and G ...(WPA Personal and WPA2 only mode for N) Atheros build in hardware device.. and D-link DWA 552 Desktop pci adapter my three laptops are Atheros N wireless pci-e card

Linksys router- Intel build in hardware device

if WEP not work with N just G that all

I was thinking of getting Cisco Valet or Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL. I am not sure which is the best choice? Thank you guys for your inputs. I am not the expert at this but we just want a good wireless router to work with our devices in our house.

I know that Sorenson provides customer's with a free D-Link DIR-628. That might be a good place to start.

Mostly free stuffs from Sorenson sucks but the VP-200. I heard few negatives on D-Link routers.

I was thinking of getting Cisco Valet or Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL. I am not sure which is the best choice? Thank you guys for your inputs. I am not the expert at this but we just want a good wireless router to work with our devices in our house.

Pls note that Cisco Valet is 300 Mbps network data transfer rate. I think this one is fastest wireless router? I don't know how many mbps network transfer data rate does Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL have. I checked other gaming routers they are not even close to 300 Mbps like Cisco Valet has.

Think = guess education!!

Best way to call Sorenson's Tech Support. They will suggest which is easier to configure on wireless router.
Ask them which brand/model (best choice or avoid to buy).

Best way to call Sorenson's Tech Support. They will suggest which is easier to configure on wireless router.

Thanks darkage, I had called Tech Support and asked them this. All they wanted was the model number of the router to be sure if it work with VP-200. I gave the model number of Cisco-Valet Plus Wireless Router (the silver one) and they said it will work with VP-200... also it the Cisco-Valet Wireless Router (blue one) will work as well.

darkage:
Originally Posted by darkage

zing31:
Thanks darkage, I had called Tech Support and asked them this. All they wanted was the model number of the router to be sure if it work with VP-200. I gave the model number of Cisco-Valet Plus Wireless Router (the silver one) and they said it will work with VP-200... also it the Cisco-Valet Wireless Router (blue one) will work as well.

Sorenson tech support will advise you buy D-link router only ..no say other brand names router

Before We have Verizon DSL with Soreson router cause lots of problem.

Now after new free wireless router from Verizon FIOS and I love that router no problem with 2 PC,VP, P3 software on PC.

Call your Internet Provider to see if they give you free wireless router ?

dg

Now after new free wireless router from Verizon FIOS and I love that router no problem with 2 PC,VP, P3 software on PC.

dg

you mean you got a new modem with built in router? If you had problems before with verizon modem and your router, its proabably verizon was updating the firmware on modem, blowing out the settings which stops the proper setup with modem/router. It happens too often I car to remember.

I think it really doesnt matter what you get. It's all about understanding how YOUR network is setup in your home. Basically the problems starts when somone buys something new and just hook up the wires without understanding whats the relationship of said modem and router and learn how to configure BOTH modem and router from YOUR pc. When just throwing in a new peice of electronic equipment into your home network without taking time to understand you NEED to configure it YOURSELF is just like throwin money into fire and be all pissed about it.

I think what you are asking is will you be buying the cisco to replace the router you already have? or just add on? where to add on? are you plannign to hook sorenson vp onto the new router? do you have dsl or cable? what do you have to change on your new router firewall settings?

Sorenson tech support will advise you buy D-link router only ..no say other brand names router

I think you tried to make up story.

Few months ago, I did call Sorenson's tech support for my friend. They suggest me what excatly brand/model.

Netgear (some model avoid)
D-Link
Linksys (limited models)

Avoid Bekin Router (I had one before - I dislike it)

dg

We had Verizon DSL. No problem with our VP
Depend how much you paid for DSL. Cheapest one which is not great for VP.

Now, I have FIOS.

Few months ago, I did call Sorenson's tech support for my friend. They suggest me what excatly brand/model.

D-Link
Linksys (limited models)

Maybe some of them are too lazy to type down a list for models for other brand. Just said one brand (D-link) and good enough.

you mean you got a new modem with built in router? If you had problems before with verizon modem and your router, its proabably verizon was updating the firmware on modem, blowing out the settings which stops the proper setup with modem/router. It happens too often I car to remember.

Yes I got free wireless modem built in router all together one device, Before I had Verizon modem DSL which is not have router but with soreson router (brand d-link) always cause reboot and disconnect internet too much so that why we order new fios and problem is solved.

dg

D-Link
Linksys (limited models)

As a former sorenson worker, I have a Netgear wireless router 3700N...i have no problem.

FIOS is very good as I have seen them.

Dlink routers are pretty good.
Linskys routers are good, but not comptabile with VP 200.
Belkin routers suck.

Back