Bad Words in Sign Language

Thats all hearies ever want to learn is the bad signs. They don't want to know about grammar, classifiers, our culture, etc. And they wonder why we can't stand most of them :roll:

That "we" is a very broad statement. Don't assume that all are as closed minded and judegemental as you yourself are. And, as far as hearies learning sign, I'll put my skills up against yours any day of the week. As well as my knowledge of deaf culture and history.

That "we" is a very broad statement. Don't assume that all are as closed minded and judegemental as you yourself are. And, as far as hearies learning sign, I'll put my skills up against yours any day of the week. As well as my knowledge of deaf culture and history.

:rofl:

Just thought I would weigh in on this discussion about hearing people wanting to learn bad words.

I am hearing. I have been learning ASL for some time now and am amazed by the beauty and structure of the language. I learned how to sign all manner of swears one afternoon by searching on youtube. So that is out of the way. I came here to learn more about deaf culture and hopefully make some friends in the deaf community.

As far as cussing goes, I cuss quite a bit as it is so it stands to reason that I would do so while signing. I obviously don't swear at everyone as that would be silly, but it's just part of my vernacular. Learning swears is part of learning any language, but I feel the best way to learn is to immerse oneself in the culture.

So that being said...any hearing people who just want to learn swears, hit me up and I'll send you a few links. Anyone who has anything to teach me about sign language or deaf culture I am more than happy to learn from any and all of you. Seriously.

Peace!

H

Last edited:
The first time I started learning bad words in ASL was when my sign language instructor taught them to me (I was 24 at the time). I didn't ask to learn them; she taught them to me so I wouldn't make the mistake of accidentally signing a bad word when I meant to sign something completely different.

As for sighted-hearing people asking me what swear words are in ASL, I've had this happen to me many times. Like LuciaDisturbed, I don't mind teaching them to people as long as they are also interested in learning other ASL signs.

My parents wouldn't swear so I learned most of my swear words in ASL first then English. I don't swear much but I swear much more than my parents ever did.

I actually think it's kind of important for people to learn the "Bad words" when learning ASL. Not always to use them but so they don't accidentally use them.

I had a girl who was learning ASL come up to me and ask me where I fuck. She meant to ask where I work.

Ron Jaxon

I actually think it's kind of important for people to learn the "Bad words" when learning ASL. Not always to use them but so they don't accidentally use them.

I had a girl who was learning ASL come up to me and ask me where I fuck. She meant to ask where I work.

Ron Jaxon

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay, please forgive my excessive profanity, but I think it's necessary in order for me to tell this story. Also, I'm on strong prescription drugs right now, and they're doing funky things to my brain.

My dad said something just last night or the night before (hard to keep track of the days on this medication). Okay, I'm a (profoundly) deaf accordion player, and I'm in a group getting ready for a performance this Halloween. So, my dad and my sister and I were there practising, and it was so funny because my dad said this song needs a hard fuck to be ready by Halloween. He also meant work, so I thought this was really funny when I read your post! And he's not the swearing type.

I finally learned where he learned that when my mom came in and congratulated us on how hard we'd been fucking. And she doesn't usually swear either! My sister and I were rolling on the floor! Okay, I was on my pain medication and my sister was on her flu medication, so we were both intoxicated, but it was extremely funny to us! We decided to just tell them how to sign "work" :giggle: but you're right. Maybe it's a good idea to let them know what they were saying. In her defence, my mom said she learned it from Dr. Vicars. I kindly suggested that she check again :)

Since I use terps at work, now, my office staff are all learning ASL. When they ask me about the "naughty" signs, I tell them they have to learn and use 10 "clean" signs first. They're learning fast!!

Since I use terps at work, now, my office staff are all learning ASL. When they ask me about the "naughty" signs, I tell them they have to learn and use 10 "clean" signs first. They're learning fast!!

An important note, very good! :)

F-word & B-word, Youtube "bad songs " signed. My Sister and Cousin both use them when they're mad. I feel at blame. My idea about curse words changed about for some point in my First Year of college and I wrote about signing it to myself in a response paper on a well f*** article. I had just came across it learning ASL101, you can't blame me. Before ASL101, I thought the sign not was the F-word. No wonder there why the ASL club leader was replaced.

DeafDoc1. That's brilliant!! I bow down to you for that creative idea.

I can't count the times i get asked how to sign all the bad words. I usually just tell some of them "NO" But if it is one of my closer friends, who i know would not use it out of spite. Like in a joking way, that's ok with me. >:D

I wouldn't ever teach a hearing person bad words in sign language because bad language shouldn't ever be used in any shape, way, or form. I have seen hearing people upon learning bad words in sign language go up and use it right away with a deaf individual and the deaf individual are disgusted with it.

I wouldn't ever teach a hearing person bad words in sign language because bad language shouldn't ever be used in any shape, way, or form.
(Off point) That tells me that you don't watch movies that have foul language. Am I correct? If so, wow, you are too holy.

I was being nosy.

BTW, he said bad language is unacceptable so if he goes to movies that have bad language, then he's a hypocrite.

It is not good to be nosy. :)

I don't go to movies. By the way, I wasn't just referring to movie theaters, but anywhere bad language is prevalent. Bad language corrupts good manners!

It is not good to be nosy. :)

I don't go to movies. By the way, I wasn't just referring to movie theaters, but anywhere bad language is prevalent. Bad language corrupts good manners!
What about stand-up comedy? It usually has bad language and it makes us laugh. Same thing with actual conversation with people. When I talk dirty, it usually makes other people laugh as well.

But if I am talking with you, I have to take it easy for your sake. LOL

You are what you are. I am what I am. That's what life is all about.

Imagine life without bad language...boring!

What about stand-up comedy? It usually has bad language and it makes us laugh. Same thing with actual conversation with people. When I talk dirty, it usually makes other people laugh as well.

But if I am talking with you, I have to take it easy for your sake. LOL

You are what you are. I am what I am. That's what life is all about.

Imagine life without bad language...boring!

I don't go to stand-up comedy either. I am aware that bad language is used by stand-up comedians.

Life would be much better without bad language. Look at how ill-mannered teenagers are when they use foul language when speaking with their elders!!!!

Back