Are you brake happy?

Pepsi

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is anyone brake happy? what I mean is someone who use their brakes too much, I am very brake happy that is why I hate winter driving :eek:

I hate paying for brakes. I insist (forcefully) that my husband allow plenty of stopping time and go light on the brakes. Of course if I drive I am very cautious.:lol:

i can't drive, but i do take cabs and i know some drivers who are *very* brake happy.

I let the car slow down by gravity and friction when I see a red light, depending on how far. Usually if it's within 1000 feet and I see a red, I'm already off the accelerator and letting the car coast down.
Note: I get annoyed at people that speed up behind me even though it's a red up front or just turned red..

I try to avoid sudden stomps whenever possible to lengthen brake and caliper life, usually when it's time to brake I pump it a little then let go and then slowly press down on the accelerator until full stop or put on neutral in manual shift.

I am pretty conservative when using brakes on my vehicles. On my trike, I downshift while stopping and let the engine do most of that work.

I'm not brake-happy.

I do know some people who look at their mobile devices too much that they end up stopping almost too late. :roll:

I am not exactly brake happy. I slow down and soft on brake pedal till it slow to stop. I give myself room to stop. I hate people who are brake happy especially panoid and also old people. Some just stop for no reason piss me off and I just pass them when I can to avoid brake happy jerks!!

Some people have no patient and cut in front of me and braked and turn same direction when I'm approaching to turns!! I am now wary abt stupid young drivers who tried to do that to me. I accelerate when I see them tried to cut in front of me when I'm heading same turns like they do, they got pissed with me and I make them smell my truck butt and be patient! Sheesh.

I do use downshift if I am down on steep hill to use 'exhaust braking' to reduce brake usage. If I am on mild grade, I just let engine do braking. I have seen people using brake 10 to 15 times on 1000 feet downhill. I'm sure they're wearing out brake shoes before it's actual average lifespan.

Catty

I'm not brake happy here, I let my foot off pedal to coast down on approach to red light or stop sign. Brake job costs from $250 to $1000 depending on the work needed. I rather take care of the brake and lasts longer than short life and waste it.

Drive easy and save you money by the mile down the road :)

I am pretty conservative when using brakes on my vehicles. On my trike, I downshift while stopping and let the engine do most of that work.

That's what hubby does.

I brake for yard sales! :)

I'm not really brake happy. It just depends on the given distance of where the car is ahead of me.

Sometime, I hate it when the car front of me brakes too fast which results me into having to brake it or to move the car to another lane.

i used to be brake-happy, (i was a boyracer) now i drive like truck drivers which means i tend to use engine braking more , this involves downshifting. This is since i have outgrowned the need to be 'better drivers than the next' mentality which alot of people/public drivers tend to show - this includes those driving big stationwagons, or those young people getting the not-so-flash but close-enough-to-be-sports cars-in-looks-bit-it-arent < THEY drive like they HAVE to prove than somehow the 'current car' they driving is not what they own. lie have you ever noticed joke bumper stickers "my other car is a porsche" - sure its a joke, but comedy always comes out from real conflicts or real ridicule, in this case driver's wishes to pretend they're superior drivers and if not, they pretend they have superior car even it is their own shitbox.
i'm so done with all that crap, i just drive quite conservatively that you wouldnt think i was once a C going on to B grade motocrosser (i was ok but never THAT good, shit bike, poor fitness ,whatever, even 'bad day on thr track' LOL, all the same excuses 'mentality' im a better rider than the next....)
but before you all accuse me of being a hypocrite, let me say this one, i was one riding (owned) a 200cc enduro bike, in '92-'93 session i was beating alot of local riders to a point they rumoured it the pit saying i was riding a 490 (motocrosser /enduro of that particular bike were the same),but nope they find out its only a 200 -they would realise when they come right up to share a beer and exchange the day's riding story...LOL it was hilirious i loved those comments. i never changed the baffle which is inside the stinger at the of the expansion chamber (2 stroke exhaust pipe so it was LOUD and had a really distinctive ring-ding tune to it), it rattled although there was nothng was wrong with it, it is just how loud that particular model was.

anyways im a 'power driver' i dont accelerate/brake so much i try to smooth way up and smooth way down, so that its smooth and quiet and safe and most of all i make my gas go alot further, and indeed the brake pads replacement worry can be alot further down the track, god forbid, truck drivers actually gets fired if they dont make brake pads last long enough , now when you count how many wheels , and how big they are...its hardly suprising

cheers

I'm not brake happy here, I let my foot off pedal to coast down on approach to red light or stop sign. Brake job costs from $250 to $1000 depending on the work needed. I rather take care of the brake and lasts longer than short life and waste it.

Drive easy and save you money by the mile down the road :)

Ur nor only same with my car :squint: that why need fixed berfore worse since last time it'salready fixed recently last fall as Sept but still bad braker but hella lots cost for that

I'm not really brake happy. It just depends on the given distance of where the car is ahead of me.

Sometime, I hate it when the car front of me brakes too fast which results me into having to brake it or to move the car to another lane.

I know how feel that why i feel wanna kick my car :giggle: jk

<---More clutch happy than brake happy....

Yup, was like that when I had a manual stick tranny car. I love using clutch and downshifting with engine brake. I remmy I had worn brake pads and don't want to use brake to slow and stop car, I downshifts alot.

Catty

Back