Any popular deaf camps in USA?

Raging Quiet

Reaction score
Hi

I'll like to find out of any deaf camps in the USA thats happening during the summer?

Me and my friend would like to go to one and help out as volunteers, as well as an opportunity to learn ASL!

Does anyone have any info?

The one in Aspen, Colorado is probably the best in the nation. It is also the longest-- three months, I think. They pay well and I heard it is the most fun one.

Pacifica camp (I hope I got the name right) for California, I have heard is the best and the most fun. Just a month.

California got Lion Wilderness Deaf camp but I wouldn't recommend you go there. A lot of politics problems wiht the LionWildernessCamp that might ruin your fun. It is spreading out in three weeks but one week for a group, then next week for a different group of kids, et cetera. Usually one week per month. June, July, June-- and locations vary... it could be in the SoCal near Teresita Pines or in the NorCal somewhere... You get an idea.

There is another camp called YLC-- Youth Leadership Camp where there is deaf kids trying to learn how to be responsible as a leader for their Deaf Jr.NAD club at their schools. Not sure where it is.. I think somewhere in Washington???

gnarlydorkette said:
The one in Aspen, Colorado is probably the best in the nation. It is also the longest-- three months, I think. They pay well and I heard it is the most fun one.

Pacifica camp (I hope I got the name right) for California, I have heard is the best and the most fun. Just a month.

California got Lion Wilderness Deaf camp but I wouldn't recommend you go there. A lot of politics problems wiht the LionWildernessCamp that might ruin your fun. It is spreading out in three weeks but one week for a group, then next week for a different group of kids, et cetera. Usually one week per month. June, July, June-- and locations vary... it could be in the SoCal near Teresita Pines or in the NorCal somewhere... You get an idea.

There is another camp called YLC-- Youth Leadership Camp where there is deaf kids trying to learn how to be responsible as a leader for their Deaf Jr.NAD club at their schools. Not sure where it is.. I think somewhere in Washington???

Gnarly, it's in Oregon, Camp Taoali, I believe.

Gnarlydorkette,

The Aspen Camp School for the Deaf has a three month summer program, but all the sessions are two to three weeks in span. The camp has its merits, but suffers from certain administrative mismanagement. I still think it's an awesome camp to go to.

Yesterday I was told by a Tennessee friend that there will be a week camping where many deafies from midwest and other states will attend. It will be on the last week of July 2006. I will get more details as soon as tomorrow then post it up on this forum ok.

web730 said:
Yesterday I was told by a Tennessee friend that there will be a week camping where many deafies from midwest and other states will attend. It will be on the last week of July 2006. I will get more details as soon as tomorrow then post it up on this forum ok.

In Tenn???? I'd like to know more about that! Let me know when you get more infos!

I been to the camp owned by Tattoo John in Little Rock Arkansas. Its real good and has 5 campfires and a bar and 8 bathtubs filled with sodas or beer and a large outside shower/rain maker.

Richard

HIDEOUT Weeklong Camping in Tennessee this late July!

Everybody,

I just received the email with this link from an old scool friend whom husband is running the Hideout weeklong camp as the HIDEOUT chairperson. Will post more new information here if necessary.

It will be held in Sevierville, Tennessee just north of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on July 30th to August 6th.

Many deafies from several different states across America will attend there for the weeklong camping with the events to attend and have good times.

More details here on: http://www.hideoutdeafcamp.org/events

In illnois there'a deaf camps for childerns called Camp Lion. As volunteers gets paid 200 dollars per week.

RacerFox22 said:
Are you talking about for families or childern deaf camps????

There will be adults mostly, but I'm not sure about kids. I will ask them then let ya know ok.

RacerFox22 said:
In illnois there'a deaf camps for childerns called Camp Lion. As volunteers gets paid 200 dollars per week.

Hey i was in that camp when i was kid

here in minnesota theres 3 or 4 different deaf camps going on this summer... two of them i know.. one in brainerd, mn and other in lake george, mn

brainerd, mn last 2 weeks
lake george last 2 weeks too.. 1 week for youth.. and other week for teenage

another deaf camp for teens

Here is a link to a camp in TN that if for deaf (and hearing) teens.

Bill Rice Ranch

Deaf Week I
June 11-16

Deaf Week II
June 18-23

Deaf Week III
June 25-30

Deaf Week IV
July 9-14

Deaf Week V
July 16-21

i hope this helps

I would not recommond Bill Rice Ranch because I know some people did got abused by one of camp adminstrator, and some of them got raped there, and they do nothing about it... I heard lots of bad rep about BRR. I was planning on going but decided against going there... They have strict rules, like boys and girl can't swim together in pool and they have some creatin dress codes, that I would not want to abide by it... Its Bapist Reform camp so better watch out... lucky I didn't go there.....

I am not sure about Camp Courage North, but heard its good camp... I am not sure if they have camp for adults? I would love to go maybe next summer or so.. Its at Lake George..

racheleggert said:
I would not recommond Bill Rice Ranch because I know some people did got abused by one of camp adminstrator, and some of them got raped there, and they do nothing about it... I heard lots of bad rep about BRR. I was planning on going but decided against going there... They have strict rules, like boys and girl can't swim together in pool and they have some creatin dress codes, that I would not want to abide by it... Its Bapist Reform camp so better watch out... lucky I didn't go there.....

I am not sure about Camp Courage North, but heard its good camp... I am not sure if they have camp for adults? I would love to go maybe next summer or so.. Its at Lake George..

racheleggert,

Yes, Camp Courage has camps for adults. :)

Also, the tidbit for BRR, thank you for sharing. They are actually a very far-right wing extremist fundamental Baptist (King James Version of the Bible only...hence, KJVO) and segregated swimming and turn-of-the-century swim suits. If you or anyone looks up the Baptist webring or the fundamental Baptist 500 or 1000 webring, you'd find other churches of like (twisted) minded silliness. It's all about dominance and control over people and they do twist Scripture to fit what they want it to. Right, babymakerdaddy?

pek1 said:
racheleggert,

Yes, Camp Courage has camps for adults. :)

Also, the tidbit for BRR, thank you for sharing. They are actually a very far-right wing extremist fundamental Baptist (King James Version of the Bible only...hence, KJVO) and segregated swimming and turn-of-the-century swim suits. If you or anyone looks up the Baptist webring or the fundamental Baptist 500 or 1000 webring, you'd find other churches of like (twisted) minded silliness. It's all about dominance and control over people and they do twist Scripture to fit what they want it to. Right, babymakerdaddy?

Pek, thanks..

I wish that People report to State of Tennessee on BRR and they could shut it down. I hope that deafies have Sk2, they can queitly call for help. If I went through bad things at BRR, I would report to Tenn Attorney General IMMEDIATELY!

Back