Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, but just because I'm totally blind doesn't mean I don't understand this issue. If someone is texting, they aren't putting 100% of their attention on the road where it should be.

I think there should be a federal law to ban texting. Why should someone lose their life because of a careless driver who doesn't notice the person ahead of them come to an abrupt stop or a young child who darts into the middle of the street? You can't see *everything* that happens on the road. God forbid one of the aforementioned scenarios happens and you end up severely injuring someone or worse.

Foxrac,

If you became severely injured or knew someone who lost their life because of someone who texted, would that change your mind about a national law to ban texting?

You want federal law then you got kidding because almost all driving safety laws are authority by state, such as seat belt, open container alcohol, motorcycle helmet, cell phone, text, etc.

Seat belt is required in all states, except for New Hampshire, some states are require for front seat only and some are require all of seats, both of front and rear seats.

Open container alcohol is illegal in all states, except for Mississippi, in Mississippi, you are allowed to have open container alcohol in driving but long as you keep under 0.8% BAC.

Helmet for motorcycle is required by some states, depends on states.

Both of cellphone and text law is depends on states, some states are ban on text only and some are ban on both of text and cellphone, for cellphone, it should be hand free by use bluetooth headset when cellphone is outlaw by some states.

I'm favor in state to make decision on driving safety, none of congresses has bother about texting issue.

I'm driver for 6 years and I know about what happen during driving, don't explain to me about safety issue.

For 2nd quote, life is too short.

How can someone look at a cell phone and the road at the same time? Is that really possible? I'm asking not to be critical. I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I was born totally blind, so I've never been able to observe this for myself.

my phone doesn't have a qwerty keyboard but a smart text function instead. I'm so used to it that I can usually text with my right while holding the wheel with my left and not even take my eyes off the road. When I'm done typing my message i just give it a quick glance over to see if it needs any corrections and send

my phone doesn't have a qwerty keyboard but a smart text function instead. I'm so used to it that I can usually text with my right while holding the wheel with my left and not even take my eyes off the road. When I'm done typing my message i just give it a quick glance over to see if it needs any corrections and send

What is a smart text feature? Sorry. I'm completely clueless when it comes to texting since I'm unable to use it myself.

For 2nd quote, life is too short.

Life is also too precious to be taken away by someone who is selfish enough to text while driving.

If you were injured or knew someone who lost their life to someone who was texting, I have a strong suspicion that you would feel differently.

Life is also too precious to be taken away by someone who is selfish enough to text while driving.

I have a very strong suspicion that you would feel differently about there being a federal law to ban texting if you were injured or knew someone who lost their life to someone who was texting.

Not ALL of fatal auto accident are related to texting only and you still don't understand about how state law works.

For 2nd paragraph, I already told you and don't assume about what happen to my life.

You need worry about yourself, have federal to ban on texting is silly, go read my post again about seat belt, motorcycle and open container alcohol.

Not ALL of fatal auto accident are related to texting only and you still don't understand about how state law works.

For 2nd paragraph, I already told you and don't assume about what happen to my life.

You need worry about yourself, have federal to ban on texting is silly, go read my post again about seat belt, motorcycle and open container alcohol.

See my edited post.

Sorry, but I'm not the kind of person who only cares about myself. I also care about the lives of others especially when they are snatched away because of a driver who isn't putting their full attention on the road.

Please do not presume to know what I understand about state law. Thank you.

As far as making assumptions about your life, that is not what I'm doing.

Besides, you know what they say about people who make assumptions.

Not ALL of fatal auto accident are related to texting only...

Of course all fatal accidents aren't caused by texting.

However, some of them are and one life lost is one life too many.

See my edited post.

Sorry, but I'm not the kind of person who only cares about myself. I also care about the lives of others especially when they are snatched away because of a driver who isn't putting their full attention on the road.

Please do not presume to know what I understand about state law. Thank you.

As far as making assumptions about your life, that is not what I'm doing.

Besides, you know what they say about people who make assumptions.

If you want federal to ban on texting then it's your wishes.

It wouldn't happen since almost all driving safety laws are authority by state.

It wouldn't happen since almost all driving safety laws are authority by state.

The operative word in your post is "almost." "Almost" does not describe all state laws. It only refers to some of them.

Laws can always be created or changed especially if there is a strong case/precident for doing so.

The operative word in your post is "almost." "Almost" does not describe all state laws. It only refers to some of them.

Laws can always be created or changed especially if there is a strong case/precident for doing so.

It's refer as most of driving safety laws are authority by state, I means it.

Federal is only authority on emission, MPG, crash rate and others about requirement of cars but some states adopt more stricter law than federal level like California.

It's refer as most of driving safety laws are authority by state, I means it.

Federal is only authority on emission, MPG, crash rate and others about requirement of cars but some states adopt more stricter law than federal level like California.

I'm not having any difficulty understanding your posts Foxrac, but thank you for the explanation anyways.

I'm also aware of the difference between state and federal laws as they apply to driving. Just because I'm totally blind doesn't mean I don't understand the laws that are created for drivers and auto safety.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Yeah, I'm guilty of texting BIG time.

But, Here's the thing - It takes one to know how to do it by balancing it. What I mean is, I don't text when there's a heavy traffic or roads that are narrow, has tight curves, hills, etc. If it is like out in the open road with very little traffic, I would text a little bit.

And, Yes - I am aware that texting can be fatal. Sure, The text ban may be helpful but it will be almost impossible for every police officers to catch all these drivers that are texting unless they are noticeable or involved in an accident that was caused by texting.

Jolie,

It may be hard to track people who are texting, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a law prohibiting it. It's also difficult to spot drivers who have alcohol in their vehicles, but this doesn't prevent it from being a state law.

Jolie,

It may be hard to track people who are texting, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a law prohibiting it. It's also difficult to spot drivers who have alcohol in their vehicles, but this doesn't prevent it from being a state law.

I know what you're saying. I'm not disagreeing with the law. In fact, I do think that the law should be in effect to reduce the fatalities on the road.

I'm just saying that if a person wants to do the text while they are driving - It is at their own risk.

and their victims

Yes, That too.

Victims don't deserve it as well. It may be unfortunate for that to occur.

At their own risk applies to their common sense which is what I can't say much for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back