Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend still does it, even though she got pulled over 5 times for texting her phone!!!! Unbelievable! *shakes my head* I told her many times not to do it but yet she doesn't listen.

Apparently, some people never learn.

Eh, I just drive fine when texting someone.

How is it possible to text and drive at the same time? If you're texting, one hand is on the steering wheel while the other is on your cell phone. My sister told me the print font on cell phones is pretty small and the keyboard for texting is even smaller.

this is why my Sidekick LX stays in my pocket the whole time I'm driving. If I absolutely must answer a text, I do it if I'm going to be at a stop light long enough or in a parking lot where I'm parked. But definitely while not driving.

I wish more drivers were like you cdmeggars. Kudos to you for not texting while driving. :D

I do text on occasion (that means it happens about once per month and in that case those are also short msg) if I'm on my way to some place and can't reach the person I'm actually trying to call yet have something important to say but don't have much else time.

I know that might sound silly, but I don't need to look at screen to read what I'm typing. My thumb somehow knows what to do :giggle:

I'm one of those people that usually txt with two thumbs (if they are available) and it goes fast!!! LOL

I know it's dangerous and not allowed, reason why I have bluetooth in the car to at least make phone calls when needed :D

Drivers in Tennessee were the most prolific texters, with 42 percent of those questioned admitting to the habit. A ban on using a cell phone to text while driving goes into effect in Tennessee in July.

Count me in as one of those crazy Tennessee drivers doing TWD. Even better was that since both my cars are manual transmissions, I can text, smoke and shift the tranny at the same time. The hardest was doing it at night inside the Ford cause my headlight switch was busted I had to hold the headlight stalk while having my old LG EnV in my right hand tryng to thumb out the txts. But with the ban upcoming, the Storm has to stay in the Isuzu's cubbyhole or center console until I switch off the motor.

How is it possible to text and drive at the same time? If you're texting, one hand is on the steering wheel while the other is on your cell phone. My sister told me the print font on cell phones is pretty small and the keyboard for texting is even smaller.

It is possible to do that. I have done that with both my cell phones, a flip-up keyboard LG EnV and a touchscreen keyboard Blackberry Storm. It took a lot of effort esp when on a winding road and driving a stickshift car. The EnV was much easier to text while driving because of the physical keyboard when I hold it to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel. The Blackberry was hit and miss with txts due to the touchscreen keyboard.

How can someone look at a cell phone and the road at the same time? Is that really possible? I'm asking not to be critical. I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I was born totally blind, so I've never been able to observe this for myself.

It is possible because I put the cell phone into the my vision level as at the same time looking thru the windshield. I hold my cell phone on the top of the wheel as pressing my lower palms to the wheel to control my car.That way, I can see the cars (the brake lights, the color of the car, etc) as I look at my cell phone while I text at my vision level.

It is possible because I put the cell phone into the my vision level as at the same time looking thru the windshield. I hold my cell phone on the top of the wheel as pressing my lower palms to the wheel to control my car.That way, I can see the cars (the brake lights, the color of the car, etc) as I look at my cell phone while I text at my vision level.

:ty: for the explanation. :)

It is possible to do that. I have done that with both my cell phones, a flip-up keyboard LG EnV and a touchscreen keyboard Blackberry Storm. It took a lot of effort esp when on a winding road and driving a stickshift car. The EnV was much easier to text while driving because of the physical keyboard when I hold it to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel. The Blackberry was hit and miss with txts due to the touchscreen keyboard.

I've never seen an EnV or a Blackberry. What do they look like? The only texting device I've seen is my niece's cell phone.

Now that I think about it, I've had college students run into me while they were texting on their way to class. Sometimes I feel like asking them "Who is the blind one? Me or you?" :roll:

I did use text and drive at same time, it isn't hard for me since I use one hand on steering at most time and Blackberry has small keyboard, it's perfect for one hand.

I think texting while driving should be prohibited in every state of the U.S. There is too much of a risk for accidents especially if the driver ahead of you suddenly slams on their brakes or a child/pedestrian runs into the street.

I think texting while driving should be prohibited in every state of the U.S. There is too much of a risk for accidents especially if the driver ahead of you suddenly slams on their brakes or a child/pedestrian runs into the street.

Are you believe in federal that should control us? No way.

It should be up to state to make own authority.

You mentioned that you are totally blind, it means you aren't fully realize about how texting works, it can be easy or hard for people, depends on person.

It should be up to state to make own authority.

You mentioned that you are totally blind, it means you aren't fully realize about how texting works, it can be easy or hard for people, depends on person.

No offense, but just because I'm totally blind doesn't mean I don't understand this issue. If someone is texting, they aren't putting 100% of their attention on the road where it should be.

I think there should be a federal law to ban texting. Why should someone lose their life because of a careless driver who doesn't notice the person ahead of them come to an abrupt stop or a young child who darts into the middle of the street? You can't see *everything* that happens on the road. God forbid one of the aforementioned scenarios happens and you end up severely injuring someone or worse.

Foxrac,

If you became severely injured or knew someone who lost their life because of someone who texted, would that change your mind about a national law to ban texting?

Just because someone can't text while driving doesn't mean they are being "controlled." Why people continue to use "Big Brother" as an excuse not to pass good laws is something I will never understand. Laws are designed to keep us safe -- they aren't designed to control us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back