ABC Cards are part of deaf culture!

Discussion in 'Our World, Our Culture' started by Nesmuth, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

We've just redesigned the ABC cards.

Theyre "ABC booklets" now and current on the signs. In September we will freely distribute these booklets to the deaf sellers who will sell them to people and on the back of the booklets has informaton on making donations to our deaf center so we can continue to give these free booklets to the deaf to sell.

Http://www.deafadvocacy.org/community/freebies/abcbookletprototype.jpg

It'll be a win-win for the deaf community members and our deaf center!

Richard

2. DefLord

DefLord New Member

Give me a break... You don't see Hispanics going around selling Spanish words to learn around here. Come on give me a break.. Be like every American they can all go get a job! No it is NOT a win-win - it shows that we are TOO lazy to go out and get a job like every other American. And if you distribute it for free for the deaf then you should distribute it for free for the hearing.

3. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

We pass out almost similar cards to the hearing people FREE at the county fair.

Richard

4. ismi

ismi New Member

Yes, but you're encouraging deaf peddling. Is that really the way to demonstrate to hearing people that deaf people can achieve, can integrate into normal society, can live a normal life? Or will it continue the stereotype of deaf people as lazy, or incapable/incompetent, and dependent on alms?

5. LuciaDisturbed

LuciaDisturbed New Member

I cannot stand peddling from any kind of people, deaf or not. It's very annoying.

6. javapride

javapride New Member

richard this is the VERY fundamental reason why we have NO respect for you.......

for one thing.........

DEAF PEDDLERS ARE THE MOST EMBARRASSING TYPE OF POSTION TO HOLD!

2ndly yr stupid in everyway for doing this.. encouraging this type of pratice you say it will be a win win situation NOT!

you want them to have a job refer them to the EDD they ll get a job before the week's out....
    ur an embarrassment to the deaf community! RMFE

7. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

Sure throw your bricks at me but this is one of the backbones of deaf culture whether you like it or not.

It's called free enterprise they'll be selling booklets not begging.

Richard

8. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

Peddling is same a selling. Nothing wrong with it. I seen a peddler sell the Meyer cards in the LA skyscrapers and make over 700 bucks a day. In fact you'd make a lot more money faster and sooner than these illegal pyramid schemes many deafs been falling for.

Richard
    Free Deaf Enterprise

9. Mookie

Mookie Guest

What does Meyer card look like?

10. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

I tried that but all the jobs here on OC gone to the undocumented residents.

Richard

11. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

12. LuciaDisturbed

I don't believe you. :bsflag:

13. javapride

javapride New Member

:werd:

14. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

Sure ask Jimbo who done it all the time. And try it yourself, you be surprised. I could do this myself Monday morning if you want and show you how much I get in a day. I'll even photograph it and post it here for you to see yourself! And of course I'll donate it all to the deaf center.

Richard

15. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny New Member

I have encountered Deaf peddlers in the past, and I am well aware how much money can can really rake in on good days. Still, due to my limited experience with these individuals, they were usually immigrants w/o valid documentation, or were low-functioning. Especially if the Deaf peddler was low-functioning, there was an individual running the ring and exploiting them. Either way, I refuse to contribute to these individuals. Any monies I donate, I would direct it to local DHH agencies instead.

I am also well aware that these Deaf peddlers are vastly outnumbered by 1,000's of hearing people asking for alms, contributions, etc. on street corners and busy pedestrian sidewalks. Despite their miniscule numbers in the overall scheme of things, Deaf peddlers' impact on mainstream society's perceptions of Deaf people is vastly over-magnified. After all, no one would think all soldiers are bums, upon encountering a disabled soldier on the sidewalk begging for money.

Has it ever occurred to you that it would negatively affect your agency and its mission? What if one of your major donors happened to encounter a Deaf peddler and saw your agency's name? Wouldn't your promotion of Deaf peddlers miscontradict your agency's mission and your work in DHH advocacy? Also, I find it curious you would 'chase' after donors who give a buck or two to Deaf peddlers, in vain hopes they would follow up on the pamphlet. That's selling your agency short!

Frankly, I couldn't be more disappointed in your actions regarding your agency. I truly and sincerely hope you will reconsider this course of action and explore positive avenues in raising the profile of your agency and promoting the cause of employing DHH people.

16. LuciaDisturbed

No way.

I got better shit to do.

17. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

This is beyond the 80's.

People do bizarre things to get attention nowadays and if we're encouraging peddling a method of getting attention, so be it. Negative attention works a lot better than positive attention these days so we're just cashing in on this trend. One of our peddlers got the attention of the vice president of a bank who sent someone to our agency to see the office and theyre considering a nice grant for our agency. Even some of the peddlers are our donors as that's been their way of telling us 'thank you' for helping them.

If its too bizarre for you, it probably the best pactice we can use to keep our mission going.

Again it's the 80's mindset thats making people throw bricks at me for encouraging peddling.

Richard

18. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny New Member

Well, I guess it's just me; I'd rather recruit donors who believe in Deaf people and our abilities, and not those who sympathize with them.

19. Nesmuth

Nesmuth New Member

20. javapride

javapride New Member

my point exactly