A 5.9 Earthquake hits Va; felt all the way up in New York

the Sky is falling! the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!the Sky is falling!

No, it's the earth is rising! the earth is rising!, the earth is rising! :lol:

I've never understood why earthquakes are so terrifying to so many people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling anyone that was traumatized. I understand there can be a rush of adrenaline. This is our body's normal response to danger. Get yourself to a safer place (door way, under a desk, outdoors away from tall objects...). But to live in fear afterward, that's the part I don't get.
I think part of the apprehension is the unpredictability. You never know when or where or how an earthquake will hit.

We have supplies on hand, and we know the drill for what to do at home. But what do you do if you're on a overpass or bridge, or in a high-rise building miles from home and separated from loved ones when an earthquake hits?

Today I chatted with friends whose pets acted up just before the quake. Interesting. Has anyone's pets in here do the same?

Years ago my sister and I where visiting some of her friends and they had 2 birds that sitting on their bird perches just resting when all of a sudden both birds freaked out and flew across the room! We had an earthquake but none of us felt it. My mom did , she was in bed when it happen. This was in Massachusetts. We had no idea why the birds freaked out until later on.

I've never understood why earthquakes are so terrifying to so many people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling anyone that was traumatized. I understand there can be a rush of adrenaline. This is our body's normal response to danger. Get yourself to a safer place (door way, under a desk, outdoors away from tall objects...). But to live in fear afterward, that's the part I don't get.

Are you joking!! There is no way of know how powerful the earthquake it going to be until it all over and not everyone it able to get in a doorway or under a table. Look at how many people in nursing homes dies in during Hurricane Katrina because they where bed bound.

below taken from longer 8/25/11 CNN -U.S. online article:

"........At Washington's National Zoo, some animals started reacting moments before the earthquake was felt by their human caretakers.

About five or 10 seconds before the earth shook, several apes abandoned their food and climbed to the top of a treelike structure, according to a statement from the zoo. A gorilla named Mandara grabbed her baby -- named Kibibi -- and also moved to the top of the structure.

At the same time, a flock of 64 flamingos grouped themselves together and remained huddled until the shaking stopped."

<end copy/paste>

I thought that was pretty interesting-

below taken from longer 8/25/11 CNN -U.S. online article:

"........At Washington's National Zoo, some animals started reacting moments before the earthquake was felt by their human caretakers.

About five or 10 seconds before the earth shook, several apes abandoned their food and climbed to the top of a treelike structure, according to a statement from the zoo. A gorilla named Mandara grabbed her baby -- named Kibibi -- and also moved to the top of the structure.

At the same time, a flock of 64 flamingos grouped themselves together and remained huddled until the shaking stopped."

<end copy/paste>

I thought that was pretty interesting-

I saw this on TV today, but the CC on the Today Show was a mess! The words where running together! GRRR I was able to hear most of what was being said but I having trouble understanding what being said!

no offense taken to east coasters but I laughed cuz some THOUGHT it wud never happen anywhere NOW that happen some people I know will have to shut up and deal with it sheesh... cuz I had dealt with earthquakes cuz I'm over here in california so... now everyone need to learn how to be prepared better for those kind of stuff.. ;)

:wave: whatdidyousay! sucks about captions, I had them on too but I was more making breakfast than watching the news.
I think more people living in the recent quake-affected areas may look back and recall something they saw their pets or other animals doing just before that was weird or different and wonder:hmm:

yeah, part of what I did see this morning was from NYC - earthquake prep. kits info.!

I will have to ask my neighbor if her bird acted strange before the earthquake.

My dogs did not do anything strange. I told them they were useless. Then I gave them a treat anyway. :lol:

We also had an aftershock this morning (4.5) around 1:08 or 1:09AM.

The epicenter was 8k (5mi) from Tuesday's VA quake

I felt it and reported it to a TV channel's website and checked it out on the USGS website.

My dogs did not do anything strange. I told them they were useless. Then I gave them a treat anyway. :lol:

:laugh2:

I just learned last night that my hubby said that our dog was acting up outside that morning before the earthquake happened. Poor baby..she was all alone outside when it happened.

Welcome to the Earthquake Club!! By far the strangest quake I felt was when I was sitting on the ground and the earth shifted three or so inches and back. I'm used to my house moving, but not the actual ground. I was at school, so they sent everyone home. Yay, no class!! That was like, a year or two ago. There was a week when there were like three earthquakes in as many days.

I digress. I hope all you guys on the East Coast are safe!!!

Back